Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭winstonia

Of course he can perform his job. Whats the reasoning for this? You have professional athletes convicted of doping still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Ok so with the this time he would auto-qualify for GFA time for DCM for the next few years. Even finishing the race when he didn't do it qualifies him for 2023 race auto entry so yes it may have zero impact on your result he is cheating someone else out of a place potentially by doing this in a race that is over subscribed.

Looking through the results with checking finishers pics to look at people who missed the 30k timing mat there is a good few others who did similar. It does annoy me every year that they results at least from GFA standards and below are not investigated and removed. You have one guy that looks like he took up running a few weeks ago finish close to 3 hrs. There are clear ones where the timing chip was not read at 30k but it does really annoy me and no it doesn't take from my result on the day.

In running London in 2015 I was approached on the last stretch to prove that I was a valid runner as I had folded my number. I would have been removed from the course. A bit of a shock when you are only thinking about the finishing straight.

Like with the size of Dublin how hard would it be have two people at Stevens Green Luas stop taking numbers of runners who got the Luas back into the City Center?

Also there are a few others who are highly suspect that probably got the Luas also under 3:10 and they stand out if you check the current results, check on athlinks and finisherpix. Why are the results so bad ?

“He has told friends that after he had gone that far, he was knackered and decided to call it a day.

“So he said he got on public transport to pick up his gear, but the only way he could do that was to walk across the finishing line. When he did that, he was automatically given the medal. He says he wasn’t trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes.”

This would make sense if he didn't miss the 10k mark. However crossing the 20k and halfway before jumping back on is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

How can someone who works as an anti-corruption Garda be realistically expected to give evidence of alleged corruption in court having done what he's done ? He'd be torn to shreds with regard to the credibility of his evidence and rightfully so. That being said, I'm sure there are other duties he can perform as a garda.

What? I've done jury duty twice. Can't see how this would have any bearing on the evidence he was providing. You would have to be an idiot to bring it up in court and the judge wouldn't allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Not sure how your jury duty is relevant here, but OK, you can't see it. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Don’t agree that anyone should lose their job for what was a really silly thing to do. I just can’t understand the mentality of an amateur runner cheating in any race. Why? I don’t get it. Surely you’re doing the race for yourself and to cheat is just mind-boggling. As to losing his job. No, just no. The guy has made an eejit of himself. Leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Had he worn anything but the Garda vest, it would've been probably ignored. He's brought unneeded attention to the Gardai and as such, I'd expect his career will suffer. It is such a silly thing to do for an inanimate object that he didn't earn. Not sure I feel sorry for him but can't condone the witch hunt either.

You still haven't told me how? In what legal way would his evidence not be credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

He has a history of deception now and as such, it would be a really poor move to put him in an environment where his credibility could be shot down within seconds. He could be the best garda on the force but he has put himself in this situation through poor decision making.

• Advertisement

I said legally, this is your opinion. I'm laughing at the thought of anyone bringing this incident up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You should probably calm down a bit, instead of white knighting a cheat and pestering other posters to provide cites for the suggestion that a cheating guard cannot claim to be trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

So anyway, the marathon........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

I saw a caveman, 2 lifeguards, 2 firefmen, a lad running in his bare feet, an ex boss, a lad cooking a bbq way too close with a sign saying never trust a fart. How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Because any witness needs to be credible, and witnesses who aren't credible can be, and are, challenged about their credibility.

The judge wouldn't have any choice. It is the defence barrister's job - duty, in fact - to sow reasonable doubt in the minds of a jury, and if a witness isn't credible or their honesty or integrity is in question or their competence is in doubt, a defence barrister absolutely will bring it up. Never mind your two stints of jury duty, look at court reports in most broadsheets. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

If you are going for a mortgage and the bank sees any betting on your account it's a red flag. It doesn't mean that you are going to turn into a problem gambler and not be able to make your monthly payments but it is an increase in risk. It similar here. Simply having this mindset that this sort of thing is ok is an increase in risk. Is it worth the risk is something that the fake investigation that clearly is not an investigation (just PR speak to satisfy the masses) of any kind will not find out. The investigation is probably someone giving a call on the phone "Is this true?", "I didn't run it all but did cross the line yes". "Ya dopy bleeding **** , see ya in work tomorrow".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

Jesus lads give it a flippin’ rest or take it to After Hours.

this isn’t twitter :)

lol, he will have something called evidence. What your saying makes zero sense. He will be back in work in a week or so and rightly so. Will be getting stick off the running club lads for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

https://www.joe.ie/news/chinese-marathon-chain-smoking-759331

Good thing he wasn't a pacer I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Anyone else saw Spiderman running the marathon?

Ran with him for around 30km, then I didn't see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

What do any of you think the odds are for the 2023 lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

About 100% I’d say.

I doubt it will ever sell out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think it's 100% and there is also the possibility of a 2nd lottery next year as there was this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

After the initial lottery is complete, they should just open any remaining entries for first come first served until it sells out - like any normal race. That should be acceptable once they can show all who were initially interested are satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

I'm sure that is what they'll do, I think they did that some year recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I've heard there was over 20000 entries in and that was a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Highly unlikely given the numbers running this year, but stranger things have happened. Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

I wouldn’t be surprised. They’ve announced a refund option is available and everyone loves a good lottery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

A reliable source. Refund option means people not committed. People will enter so they have a number and thus the option than not.

No reason why it can't open in 6 months time like some big Spring marathons.

Advertisement