Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Rogan: "DMT DMT DMT DMT DMT"

Options
  • 19-12-2021 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The JRE seems to be single handedly revolutionizing attitude and approach to psychedelics, at least in English speaking countries.

(for the uninitiated DMT = dimethyltryptamine, a potent selective agonist/activator at the serotonergic 2A receptor subtype, responsible for psychotic induction, aka "psychedelics").

I mean fo' real yo', it seems to have generated some kind of craze that psychedelic drugs are the answer to much of humanities on going issues.

I actually heard it being introduced into a conversation re anti-aging treatments recently.

And I've almost yet to listen to an episode of JRE where it's supposedly remarkable benefits are not touted ad nauseum.

Just out of curiosity, for the purposes of "connecting with universal life force", does anybody care to share their opinion on this matter?

Are you pro or against the contention?

Even amongst some of my favorite rave oriented productions there's advocacy for the cause:

But in this instance "altered states of consciousness" is kind of a euphemism for "lighten the f**k up and drop your daytime masquerade" as much as exhibiting proponency for actual drug use.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Gobekli Tepe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

DMT dynamite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I remember when I used to look at that bloody thing on youtube years back, I did hear him banging on about weed and why he smokes it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I believe the point attempting to be conveyed re "psychedelic space exploration" is that, in societies, cultures, nations, cliques, families, social groups and gatherings etc., there can form these semi-functional "boxed in" group mentalities.

i.e. dysfunctional thought process.

And this is largely the norm.

I mean most day to day folk have their "peeps", their gang, their group, the group-consciousness they adhere to.

Psychedelics actually act on a part of the brain called the.... wait for it..... "subgenual anterior cingulate cortex".

Cortical layers are responsible for cognitive function, therefore dramatically influence our day to day behaviour, emotional states and cognition based rationalization ("vibe", if you will).

DMT/LSD actually suppress cortical function (not enhance, suppress), meaning they attenuate our conventional "state of consciousness", and allow us to think outside of our day to day channels and conventions we've been "boxed in" between;

I've heard this referred to as a "neural reset", in actual fact meaning a "cognitive reset" - or facilitator of such.

i.e. see things beyond the semi-functional locale most of us live in, see the big picture, act accordingly, to behoove long term outcome, not medium to short term gratification and endeavors.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Advertisement

I think that's the general point JRE is attempting to make by way of this resolute adherence as to the benefits of psychedelics.

In my experience, those that benefit from use of such are indeed very much the resolute subculture "group consciousness" type where it's "my way or the high way".

i.e. a$$holes.

So maybe Donald Trump needs to drop some acid.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

Ma! That JohnJoeJames lad is creating shit threads again.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Don't mind a bit of Rogan every now and then but deary me does he have some charlatans on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mikethecop

DMT is an extremely dangerous drug to be messing around with

taking advise from joe rogan is an fairly stupid thing to be doing too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Taking advice from someone who promoted sheep dewormer as a covid cure seems like an appallingly stupid thing to do.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Following the wise words of Alex Jones.

https://youtu.be/uVqOC-G_Qqw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

Have to say I don't mind him at all. He could have anyone on his podcast.

A climate activist, a priest, a drug dealer, a politician, a sports star, a musician, an astrophysicist, you don't know who he's going to be talking to or what topic. I think that's why people like him, he doesn't just pick one type of guest, there's a broad spectrum to who he interviews, and he's quite capable of agreeing or disagreeing with them without it getting nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Tried dmt a few times. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Came close to a breakthrough once but didn't fully get there.

I believe there could be a place for using psychedelics to treat depression and the like. This documentary shown on bbc recently was very interesting

BBC Two - The Psychedelic Drug Trial

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's the consummate charlatan himself. He's no different to Alex Jones but a little more main stream acceptable. Just hocking products and lifestyle choices. Brining on looney because it gets the hits and promoting mad stuff because once again it gets the hits. The whole show is one big product advertisement. People have not cottened on that they are the product yet.

The king of charlatans and often espoused as being smart by those who know no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Rogan looks fecked a lot of the time. He should consider checking into rehab imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh but he is. Just a vehicle of self promotion and whatever product he is hocking.

Its hilarious that people fall for it.

Hes just an everyday guy though... Right...

He's no Joe Brogan.

You are really letting AJ off the hook by saying Joe Rogan is the same as him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There are some outrageous claims made about psychedelic substances - both in priase of and in condemnation of the drug - but as with msot drugs: if you research it, know what you're taking and know what to expect, they can be quiet uplifting and perceptice-altering.

That said, some people will try and convince you that one drop of LSD and you'll either have a meeting with God or you're going to wind up in a permanent Matrix-like psychosis or jumping off a thrid-floot balcony thinking you can fly.

That said, never done DMT. Tried once, coughed it up because I don't smoke.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ego dissolution.

That's the outcome, or theorized by many.

Or "ego death" I've heard it referred to as.

Neuro/cognitive reset = ego death.

But applicable only to those who need it.

i.e. if you get locked inside one subculture and begin to think you're wonderful whilst the outcome of ones actions (via questionable thought process) not being so wonderful

DMT/LSD/psychedelics = perspective shift.

Mike Tyson commented on this as being of particular benefit, an individual who was highly ego driven to the point it became self destructive.

An ego instated by initial coach Cus D'amato apparently.

But later interviews Tyson claims he couldn't continue to manage the condition of his nervous system being so super charged constantly via his outrageous ego.

This "ego dissolution" via tryptamines would be of benefit, and he claims they are; plus he claims to use cannabis daily to control that high ego/neural fire power.

But, that "ego" is what allowed him to become this,

Strong, but in overdrive.

Yeah, Jones belongs in a rubber room where Bro Jogan is more of a douche bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Taken DMT many years ago. Absolutely crazy stuff. You literally get sucked out of this reality and into a completely different one as if you literally broke through a different dimension. The craziest thing about it is that once you are blasted into this different reality, it feels as if you have always known that place, that it was always there and you are totally comfortable within this really intense place. I took it about three times but after the last time I had no intention of doing it again. The last time I took it I was well on the way to encountering some sort of entity or being there that wasn't there in the previous two bouts. I didn't dig that feeling whatsoever, not that this entity I encountered was in anyway threatening or anything like that, it just made me think there could be something forcing its way through that may just want to seem benign at the beginning.

And I'm not messing calling them experiences three bouts. When you arrive back into this reality, you feel as if you have fought 10 rounds with the likes of Tyson. That also heavily put me off.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

If you can sit through all 3 hours of this they go into depth on their ideas of psychedelic benefits.

There's that and....

Tyson explains the "ego death" psychedelics facilitate..... somewhere over the course of that 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

I took it years ago at a friends house. If I remember correctly it's a white waxy like substance that you burn in a bowl/crack pipe....

Anyway, I remember being the Guinea pig. I asked if i could have some music on when I took the hit. My friend was sceptical I'd need it. He was right. I clearly remember after holding it in, then exhaling, a rising in my body like I was being lifted. It was euphoric and I remember laughing. My friend crept out of the room as the walls became covered in vines from the top of the ceiling to the floor. Then I was floating on my back down a long tunnel with fire works going over my head and at total peace. When i came around the lads had peeped in at me and i was just staring at the ceiling smiling.

Wouldnt be a massive fan of psychedelics but that was a very positive and fun experience. Wouldnt be doing it weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I see Johnjoe is back.

• Advertisement

Love how JohnJoe's posts - especially his OPs - read like they were developed by an AI bot amalgamating tons of posts on reddit and fabricating a "real person" posting :) Especially how one sentence would be normal English and the next would be using some kind of 70s Jive Speak - really as if it was compiled badly from multiple inputs.

Any drug has the potential for harm and good. Mentally or Physically. That is why we have (ideally) a good process of study and epidemiology to work out who should be given any given drug - when why and how - and in what kind of doses and under what conditions.

Jumping on any drug therefore and declaring it is going to absolutely change your life for the better - or destroy you - as one user already said above is pretty extremist and ill informed.

I have dabbled in a few myself and am working over time up towards certain goals. So far been pretty much entirely beneficial. Some of it in retrospect is very comical and nutty too. In my head a lot of it is in context but if I ever describe it to other people they often find it very intensely funny. And I do myself when I try to describe what went on. The experiences - not exactly "make sense" - but when you keep them in your head they are - congruent. The comedy and ridiculous nature of them really comes when you try to put it all into words.

And it has definitely changed me for the better. But I do what I do after very intense research and then under the care and guidance of people who know about it too - in a controlled atmosphere of calm and trust. Which is very different to how many people would take similar drugs alone or at random parties or on a night out.

But just because it benefited me - someone else in exactly the same context might have the opposite effect.

It is good to see a lot of countries researching applications of certain previously recreational drugs on things like depression, PTSD, on war veterans and more. I look forward to the results and feel there is high potential there. But my excitement over high potentials is not the same as advocating. I await the data. Without data I would not speak out on anything but choices I make for myself.

As for Joe Rogan - I would certainly put credence in his advice more than many people I could think of. But I would still research it myself before engaging with it. "Taking" advice blindly is never a good idea - from Rogan or anyone else. He himself makes a point of often saying he is a moron and no one should be taking his advice anyway - even when he offers any. But often he is not offering any - merely talking about what choices he made for himself and why. But I think he is also somewhat aware that people do take a lot of this on board as advice. Why wouldn't they? If a person sees someone financially, physically, socially and sexually successful - they are naturally going to be tempted to emulate some or all of what they did/do.

But like anyone who becomes famous and popular - the misrepresentation of things he has actually said or allegedly "promoted" is rampant. And often it is not malicious or intentional. But people have merely bought some nonsense someone else was peddling and simply parroted it themselves without checking it. Which is a shame. Especially if they are corrected on it a few times and then keep pushing it anyway. They do not stop to ask "Is this What Rogan actually said or what Fox/CNN claimed he said?"

There is a lot worth faulting him over without making stuff up I think.

As I have aged however my judgement of media personalities has become less extreme. These days rather than decide if someone is great or horrible - I simply ask myself if overall, all things considered, is the world net better or worse off because that person exists. And I certainly think that Rogan falls on the positive side of that continuum.

Advertisement