Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Chocolate too cheap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dairy Milk/Cadbury is like the Westlife of chocolate. Designed in a lab to appeal to as many people as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Minimum pricing alcohol… health

what next ?

minimum pricing flights ?

minimum pricing petrol ?

minimum pricing motor vehicles ?

minimum pricing certain food now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Just donate it to food banks or kitchens for the homeless.thats what I done last xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Yes, I think a lot of food that used to be “Xmas treats” are too cheap. My father has an old biscuit tin (afternoon tea) used to keep Xmas decorations in. The best before date is April 1985, and the price tag is 9.95 punts. Not sure what an average hourly wage was then. Every year I see that box it makes me realise why certain things were treats then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It would have been the equolivent 24 euro and in tbe 70s a fresh turkey would have been the equolivent of 75 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

To each their own - I'm glad that you enjoy it. Things like this are very much a matter of individual taste.

Now that the UK has left the EU, it may well happen that the legal definition changes.

AFAIK, the Brits negotiated hard to get the current legal definition accepted in order to protect their 'chocolate' industry. Now that they have left the EU other countries may well decide to up the requirement, among other things to kick the Brits. I doubt if the Irish government has got sufficient clout to retain the current definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's the cheese that would kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Moser Roth stuff in Aldi is delicious not had one I don't like and really reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. You won't end up in court if you don't.

Unlike other things we are all forced to buy that are far too expensive.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I worked out what 9.95 on one of those inflation calculator things.

The price today of those biscuits would be 21.09

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

You forgot to convert to euro! So €26.78. But, even then that seems massively understated. I think, along the way, CPI is not reflective of reality. Basically, according to the CPI, things are only slightly more than double the price today than they were in 1985. Other than a few things like what this thread is about (chocolate, carbonated drinks etc), most items cost many multiples of what they cost in 1985, from housing to cars, from the price of a pint to the price of petrol and from cigarettes to insurance. Is it chocolate, coke and clothing that have been keeping the inflation figures down?

I would like to know the proportion of supermarket stock made up of chocolate and other sugary foods. Walking around the likes of Tesco, the amount of chocolate and other unhealthy foods on the aisles is obscene.

Perhaps if we could guarantee universal healthcare I would agree with a tax on sugary and other unhealthy foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chocolate may be too cheap, but self discipline is priceless.

And too rare by half.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Much bigger tins with better ingredients. And jelly stars. Chocolate was nicer then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is a solution to your problem either become a diabetic or a coeliac and then they will stop. The answer to your question is no maybe for normals it is but for me it's certainly not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Given the environmental damage caused by the demand for chocolate, the answer to the OP’s question is definitely yes.

And I say that as someone who loves chocolate. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

All the shyte is cheap... chocolate, coke, sweets etc, all the shyte.

Advertisement