Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

UK Supreme Court: No to gender-neutral passports

• 15-12-2021 2:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 8,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Shield

Unanimous decision handed down today: You’re not an X. You’re either male or female.

Reasoning was “There is no legislation in the United Kingdom which recognises a non-gendered category of individuals. On the contrary, legislation across the statute book assumes that all individuals can be categorised as belonging to one of two sexes or genders, terms which have been used interchangeably.”

It remains to be seen if other countries will agree that you’re either male or female.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,681 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra

There are moves in Ireland to legally recognise the gender identity of non binary people.

Apparently a "normal" woman is a busty blonde sexy page 3 model who wears make-up, short skirts and red lipsticks and has pouty lips.  Who knew. 👀😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭ One eyed Jack

It remains to be seen if other countries will agree that you’re either male or female.

It doesn’t? Many countries already do recognise in law the existence of X gender or sex designation, India being one of the largest countries which does so -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭ Jequ0n

Are you saying people posting here have taken glee?

• Advertisement

The UK supreme court has not said no to gender neutral passports. They just said there is no legislative backing to them. THis means that the politicians that promote it so much never bothered to legislate for gender neutral passports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ nudain

Yeah, it's kinda like the gay marriage thing. Or the abortion thing. Lots of them happen in the background without anyone knowing about it. But yeah, let's be against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭ Quantum Erasure

You're either XX or XY, and that objectivity is what matters 

you can legally change gender on your passport though, so its not about biological sex any more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭ eskimohunt

Again, false.

I completely support transgender rights, and think that any person who feels they were born into the wrong physical body, should transition and live as the person they wish to be. Only a complete idiot would be against that.

But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about non-binary people (i.e. people who say they're neither male nor female).

That is not a biological reality. You are either XX or XY. Even the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of trans / non-binary are either XX or XY. True, a ridiculously tiny number of people have chromosomal disorders, but even most of them align without the non-binary reference.

In fact, many gender critical transgender women - such as Rose of Dawn and Blaire White - could not support trans- rights enough (and more power to them for that), but who are openly critical of gender self-identification, as happens with this passport issue.

So, this idea that it's trans- versus everyone else is wrong.

Many leading trans- voices are against gender self-identification / non-binary passports, too.

You could say, it's a binary issue. Both sides are critical.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”

― George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ nudain

It'll eventually be subsumed into normality. Might take a decade. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭ Donald Trump

Actually, just to be pedantic, there are hermaphrodites! Or something akin to it at least.

There are also people like that SA runner Caster Semayna (may be spelled incorrectly). She was accused, or at least suspected, of being "intersex" but I think she was later passed as eligible to compete so she didn't meet whatever necessary criteria there was

I'm talking about physical manifestations here btw. Not anything else

Who is conflating the two? If you read the last line my post you will see that it stated

I'm talking about physical manifestations here btw. Not anything else

Be careful jumping up on your high horse too quickly in case you fall off it!

I was merely responding to the absolute statements that:

'the statute book assumes that all individuals can be categorised as belonging to one of two sexes or genders'

And that's because all individuals do.

So you cannot use the word "all" without adding a caveat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭ eskimohunt

What happens when most people who identify as non-binary are tested, and found to be either XX or XY?

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”

― George Orwell

• Advertisement

That has zero to do with my post. It is yourself who is apparently trying to conflate the two!!

Advertisement