Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Your man who plays the Husband is the kid data from the Goonies !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So this has become A24's biggest hit domestically, pocketing $52 million in its 9 week cinema run. Such small fry compared with that other Multiverse movie trampling the box office but it's great to read such a small film doing so comparatively well.

Only $6 million internationally, but it doesn't look like it got such an extensive release that it might have made more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

and short round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Tried watching this, and failed. Might give it another go as I was a bit hungover trying to watch it, and it only made it worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Wonderful movie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well that was one wild ride of a film.

Almost too many ideas and definitely too long, but you have to applaud the ambition of the whole thing! Michelle Yeoh is amazing in the lead.

Hot dog fingers and racoon version of ratatouille particularly random!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not sure I agree about the running time/pace myself - like Die Hard, I thought this was a great example of a film over 2 hours long that doesn't feel like it, whereas for me most blockbusters (notably, but not exclusively, the MCU films) hit similar runtimes but feel empty and dragged out such that the last half hour or so has me constantly thinking "yeah yeah, get on with it".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$83.5 Million worldwide now; man it'd be awesome if this crept into the $100 million bracket, though I suspect it'll start getting squeezed out of cinemas now that the summer slush is upon us. If it hasn't already; the film really ticket away quietly.

I read in passing, and keep meaning to see how well it stacks up, a theory that the whole movie is actually in Evelyn's head. Not sure I buy into it - but it's cool it has already started these kind of conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno. Michelle Yeoh just wasn't convincing as a rock. 🤔 Surprised they didn't go for the low hanging fruit of making a Dwayne Johnson joke in those scenes.

Was a good film. Bit mad but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watched it at home over the weekend aha I enjoyed it, I already heard that it is a better 'multiverse' movie from recent years but actually -

I would say that the movie is good as being refreshing, managed the balance well between family drama, actions and plot, particularly scratching the itch of an long overdue jackiechan-ish action movie. And funny yes, this just might be a better 'multiverse' film than the other huge budget blockbuster...

So ya, the refreshing part is that the team dares to go big with the 'multiverse' concept (well personally to me it is not that crazyyy) but pretty damn 'wild' enough for a film for mass audience, definitely a more memorable product from A24. And with such a low budget too! This really shows that there are actually people out there with brains and passion huh....

I must compliment on the family drama part as the culture stuff is spot on and overall felt organic. The daughter/gf part just felt natural and real - like you dont feel stuffs get shoehorned into it (compared to the sea of 'woke' shite out there literally just like ticking boxes for a tasteless product).

But ya watch it if you are a fan of old HK comedy action movies (the guy actually looks like jackie chan aha and i think they did try to get JC on it ha) - this is a must watch. Michelle Yeoh is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is getting a cinema re-release with an extra 8 minutes added it Stateside.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear that; hopefully it won't be like Morbius, and if it broke the €100 million ceiling that'd be an awesome story for this film.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I tried to watch this as a streaming rental, but for some reason it's on none of the standards services such as Google TV, Rakuten, etc. Yet it is available in the UK and indeed some other EU countries. I thought we were nearly always tied with UK releases?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My understanding is A24 released this themselves directly in Ireland & the UK (as opposed to through another distributor as they usually do), and there was plenty of confusion around cinema release dates. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was also some confusion / messiness around the VOD launch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's zero information about the UK Blu-Ray release, though it is available as a rental on a Spanish streaming platform that can be accessed in the UK. I am eager to buy a copy on disc, which makes the lack of information a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Laughed so much! Michelle Yeoh was great!

Her acting range and especially when she dug down for the heartful range was just brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Added to Prime and well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not showing on Prime for me ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah it looks like it’s only available to rent on Sky here atm, I can only assume it’s on a non-Irish Prime region?

Edit: yep it’s on US Prime - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/everything-everywhere-all-at-once

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's on Prime in Ireland now - just watched it and very glad I did. It was not at all what I was expecting all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just watched on prime. Wow. That was different! Some very random stuff there. Enjoyable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Ah cool, I'll get a look at it over the weekend so!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well that was one hell of a watch. Excellent film and in some places very out there. I'll never be able to look at hotdogs in the same way!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Think I'm the sole person on the thread so far who didn't like this 🫣 Thought it was a bloated, confusing mess in all honesty and I couldn't wait for it to end. Maybe a Thursday night when I was already quite tired wasn't the best time to settle into the film, but it really wasn't for me.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Glebee

Trying to watch this at the moment, not a clue whats going on and what all the hype is about. Completely over my head anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Stay with it. I didn't get it for the first half, maybe even more, but in the end I thought it was absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Glebee

Got to the end, not a clue what that was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, sorry!

I'm still not entirely sure I know what it was about, but I loved it all the same

I mean, if you want to strip it down to basics: it was about a Mother and daughter struggling to connect; an immigrant parent, sacrificing her own happiness to fulfil her sense of "duty" to family, all the while struggling to understand why or how her child mightn't share this path.

The butt plugs and martial arts were just a fun & incredibly bananas facade to something fundamentally human and relatable. Which is what great film and comedy does: presents something ostensibly silly, insane even, but underneath there's heartbreak and tragedy at a human level. But also love and empathy, if we just learn to open ourselves up to that possibility.

And the fact it cost under $25 million, yet still had such fantastic visual flair, set-pieces and martial arts fights, puts the vast majority of Hollywood Blockbusters to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The big winner at the Spirit Awards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Long odds on to take best picture, best director(s) and supporting actor at the Oscars according to Paddy Power. Blanchett and Yeoh are neck and neck on the best actress odds, I might take a punt on Yeoh, Cate won the BAFTA but with the Oscars making a big push to be diverse recently I say she has a great chance.

I admit I watched the 1st 1/3 or half and couldn't get into it at all. And I have loved everything A24 has done! I'll have to give it another go.

Advertisement