Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Peter McVerry

• 13-12-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭ TheAnalyst_

Front page of a newspaper this morning and I see this.

<snip> Copyrighted material removed

He has the main front page ad for a national newspaper which is mostly his own head. Its bizarre first of all that the most expensive ad in a national newspaper is taken up by a charity. More so when its one mans name and face all over. Not very priestly to be seeking attention and adulation either.

Any please give generously so that they can run more expensive ads in future.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭ Lillyfae

And gazump ordinary decent citizens to further inflate the supplementary rental scheme. Just wondering, does anyone know if the properties owned by the Trust ultimately belong to the Catholic Church?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ corner of hells

All their properties are owned by the PMVT , it operates as an approved housing body or association.

They also run hostels on behalf of the DRHE , some owned by DCC others by PMVT.

I believe all homeless service employees should be burned at the stake and their families exiled to Siberia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ TefalBrain

Some people just love to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭ erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ TheWonderLlama

Tell us how you really feel?

Joking apart, the original name of the Peter McVerry Trust was the Arrupe society, named after a Spanish Jesuit priest. So I would imagine that the beneficiary of the trust ultimately is the Catholic church. they just put Peter up as the front man (or he put himself forward, which is more likely)

Homeless services will be another Magdelene laundry scandal in the years to come. Church making money off vulnerable people with thd collusion of the state and we will all pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭ enricoh

It comes across to me that he has a lot of clout in the media and the government shovel money out to him to shut him up. I'd say he despises FF and fg but once they pony up it's all smiles.

He had the same ad in the Sunday times yesterday

I work in homeless services ,similar to PMVT , its a Trust that owns the properties ran as a housing association, to be housed in one of these properties you must be registered with one the local authorities and or homeless.

There's quiet a few housing associations providing accommodation, Circle, Sophia etc.

Potential residents are often nominated by local authorities with in some cases referral by homeless services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,530 ✭✭✭✭ padd b1975

Fr. Pete wasn't exactly well liked when he was....eh...."counselling" prisoners back in the early nineties.

Wouldn't trust the lad as far as I could throw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭ Richard Hillman

It's all bit Chairman Mao-ish, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭ thefallingman

walk down to merchants quay and donate after 5pm i'm sure it'll be safe, the homeless and drug addicts are a lovely bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ c.p.w.g.w

If there is more to this, a PM would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,530 ✭✭✭✭ padd b1975

Probably best if I don't go any further to be honest.

Having worked in MQI in its Primary Care Centre , in its needle exchanges , on its drop in floor and as an outreach worker, I can assure you , you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx

He clearly has a significant ego ,brother Kevin is never on TV or radio, McVerry is never shy when a TV camera is close

• Registered Users Posts: 10,600 ✭✭✭✭ For Forks Sake

Never heard a sob story that he didnt fall for hook, line and sinker either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ vriesmays

If it wasn't for McVerry there would't be people in Dublin on long-term welfare living 15 minutes from Grafton Street.

• Advertisement

No solutions ?

PMVT offers a multitude of supports and services including :

STA accommodation, family hub accommodation, housing through in its capacity as a housing association.

Also provides under 18 residential services and homeless prevention services.

Drug services: stabilisation, detox both community and residential , recovery , aftercare combined with housing.

Volunteers are great but there's a world of difference between a volunteer who makes himself available on Christmas day and a full time or relief staff whose available every other day of the year.

If you want to volunteer, you can do my shift on Christmas day.

Advertisement