Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry

• 13-12-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Front page of a newspaper this morning and I see this.

<snip> Copyrighted material removed

He has the main front page ad for a national newspaper which is mostly his own head. Its bizarre first of all that the most expensive ad in a national newspaper is taken up by a charity. More so when its one mans name and face all over. Not very priestly to be seeking attention and adulation either.

Any please give generously so that they can run more expensive ads in future.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭I see sheep

All the **** going on in the world and you complain about a charity 😂

Simon Harris is next to him ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

McVerry is a demagogue .

Wouldn't give him a bean , Brother Kevin of the capuchin centre ,now there is a great humanitarian, doesn't need to go on radio or TV to call for landlords and banks to be criminalised either ,McVerry and his ilk are the reason interest rates here are so high ,he told Ray D'Arcy a few years ago that bank repossession should be illegal

A demagogue of the highest order but a Saint of the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

And gazump ordinary decent citizens to further inflate the supplementary rental scheme. Just wondering, does anyone know if the properties owned by the Trust ultimately belong to the Catholic Church?

Post edited by Beasty on

As a general rule, I never trust anyone who is the head of a charitable organisation or trust - and yes, that includes Father McVerry.

Charity for them is just the day job; what they really crave is the national adulation and wealth that come with leading these organisations.

As I've said before, charity can be used as a Trojan horse for inappropriate activity because nobody in their right mind will criticise charitable work, and so those at the top can get away with murder, figuratively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

All their properties are owned by the PMVT , it operates as an approved housing body or association.

They also run hostels on behalf of the DRHE , some owned by DCC others by PMVT.

I believe all homeless service employees should be burned at the stake and their families exiled to Siberia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Some people just love to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

If I ran my own private company named, fronted and heavily using my own image you'd think there's an ego out of control. A private business is one thing but an actual charity that uses other peoples money (not forgetting the state's) and the ego behind it is a priest? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Tell us how you really feel?

Joking apart, the original name of the Peter McVerry Trust was the Arrupe society, named after a Spanish Jesuit priest. So I would imagine that the beneficiary of the trust ultimately is the Catholic church. they just put Peter up as the front man (or he put himself forward, which is more likely)

Homeless services will be another Magdelene laundry scandal in the years to come. Church making money off vulnerable people with thd collusion of the state and we will all pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭enricoh

It comes across to me that he has a lot of clout in the media and the government shovel money out to him to shut him up. I'd say he despises FF and fg but once they pony up it's all smiles.

He had the same ad in the Sunday times yesterday

I work in homeless services ,similar to PMVT , its a Trust that owns the properties ran as a housing association, to be housed in one of these properties you must be registered with one the local authorities and or homeless.

There's quiet a few housing associations providing accommodation, Circle, Sophia etc.

Potential residents are often nominated by local authorities with in some cases referral by homeless services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fr. Pete wasn't exactly well liked when he was....eh...."counselling" prisoners back in the early nineties.

Wouldn't trust the lad as far as I could throw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's all bit Chairman Mao-ish, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some years back, in fact the first I really heard of him, he was on tv condoning theft on the basis..."if someone's hungry..." then it's ok.

If someone broke in to his house and terrorised him I wonder would he be so aloof, understanding and open minded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

walk down to merchants quay and donate after 5pm i'm sure it'll be safe, the homeless and drug addicts are a lovely bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He is a Clongowes educated Jesuit from a wealthy background so is untypical of that particular breed. They are mostly trained to teach. Establishing a shelter for homeless boys in his own flat in Ballymun is not a Jesuitical type of initiative. That was the beginning of what is now the Peter Mc Verry Trust. Fair dues to the fellah. He seems entirely genuine and without ego. Brother Kevin of the Capuchin order and Alice Leahy of Trust could be described in similar terms. They're all just living saints really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Establishing a shelter for homeless boys in his own flat in Ballymun 

That's a little strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It may seem a little strange, I agree, but had there been any inappropriate behaviour by Mc Verry toward these homeless young people it would surely have come to light by now. I think he just saw there was a problem and felt he had to do something about it. Undoubtedly, he was hoping to gain publicity - not for self-promotion - but to highlight the issue of homelessness in Dublin. He was certainly successful in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If there is more to this, a PM would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Probably best if I don't go any further to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't agree with some of what he says e.g. illegal to repossess but it is a bit stretch to imply he is as bad as other charity heads who have been caught up in scandal siphoning off funds.

He is a genuine person who has by his actions shown he is not just there for the attention, like him or not he is a good person who is trying to help those in need.

Having worked in MQI in its Primary Care Centre , in its needle exchanges , on its drop in floor and as an outreach worker, I can assure you , you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The thing about charities is when you spend the money, it's not your own money so you don't really care if the money is wasted or thrown away.

I saw adverts from mcVerry looking for places for sale. They're fighting with first time buyers to buy properties and will throw silly money to get them. Just like DCC saying they don't care what the price they pay is, if it means a family is housed the cost doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

If it means a family is housed by them you mean. The people that they're fighting with (and beating!!) are trying to house themselves, and the people they're fighting "for" are completely disincentivized to do anything for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He clearly has a significant ego ,brother Kevin is never on TV or radio, McVerry is never shy when a TV camera is close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Never heard a sob story that he didnt fall for hook, line and sinker either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If it wasn't for McVerry there would't be people in Dublin on long-term welfare living 15 minutes from Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't like McVerry he loves the limelight, alsways complains but never offers any solutions of his own.

Meanwhile on Christmas Day Brother Kevin and other volunteers wil be working behind the scenes to make sure people have a dinner to eat.

Now thats a man that deserved to be awarded the Freedom of the City, its just a pity they gave it to McVerry first.

• Advertisement

No solutions ?

PMVT offers a multitude of supports and services including :

STA accommodation, family hub accommodation, housing through in its capacity as a housing association.

Also provides under 18 residential services and homeless prevention services.

Drug services: stabilisation, detox both community and residential , recovery , aftercare combined with housing.

Volunteers are great but there's a world of difference between a volunteer who makes himself available on Christmas day and a full time or relief staff whose available every other day of the year.

If you want to volunteer, you can do my shift on Christmas day.

Advertisement