Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

Good video, though the 5 minute one might be better for the less technical.

I've been trying to explain about the shading to a few non-technical people - it just is so hard to get people to understand or 'believe' that it's this simple. I have one lad one who has an dish that is shading and he just wouldn't listen to me explaining he needs a couple of optimizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You can lead them to the river, but you cant make them drink. -)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭derryvella

AckwelFoley, any chance you would DM me the company name and maybe what they quote you?

I am interested in something similar and I am also in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bellie1

€6400 for 8 panels and a diverter. It's a tiny house so that's all can fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Incredibly expensive. Run away. You should be paying half that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Is that the after grant price?

If it is its a 100% Ripoff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

€4,800 is still a lot for what would be around a ~2.7kWp system...

For that system with a diverter, you wouldn't want to be paying much more than €3,000 after grant give or take a few hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm due 2 quotes now.

High efficiency panels, 6kw system with 5ish kw battery 6kw inverter and a diverted for hot water what is the ball park price before grant.

Bearing in mind different product quality and efficiency, but upper and lower price would be a help

I'd say in or around €8,000 - €8,800 after grant

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's a fair shout i think Andy. it'll probably be closer to 8,800 than 8,000 to be honest, but if it was in under €9K in this climate, it's certainly one for the "keeper basket".

I've got the first quote back with 16 x 375w panels, diverted, 5.8kw battery and hybred inverter at over 13,000.. after grant

I've a feeling the other quote will be similar based on a number mentioned for panels only..

I paid €8,820 after grant* for 17x 340w panels, 5kWh battery, 6kW Hybrid Inverter, 11 optimisers, and a MyEnergi Hub & Harvi were also used/thrown in.

*The company I went with discounted me the grant (€3,000) up front, so I'm not the one waiting weeks/months for the rebate from SEAI, they are happy to do that themselves.. That was a big plus for me. The onus is now on me to get my finger out and have a BER assessment done to satisfy the grant application.

edit: and regarding the quotes you're starting to get, post them in the quotes thread for a bigger audience and more helpful advice;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

"*The company I went with discounted me the grant (€3,000) up front, so I'm not the one waiting weeks/months for the rebate from SEAI, they are happy to do that themselves."

I think we had the same supplier and I agree its very valuable - Mine was iinstalled in October - and I got the BER done the same week... but I JUST got an email from SEAI looking for additional info (pictures) for the grant app. So 4 months later I would still be out of pocket if the installer had not fronted it.

Quick question.

Our house is early 1980s. Energy efficiency is i assume pretty low

With solar pv to get the grant it needs to bring it up to a C1

We are also looking at getting a deep retrofit and I believe there are grants for this. Will installing the solar pv and getting the 3k grant have an adverse affect on a potential deep retrofit grant?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When the new Grants are rolled out you won't need BER rating

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Any indication if the new grant will be less for the solar than the max 3k now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

It is likely. The last time max grant was reduced from 3800 to 3000.

So the advice would be pull the trigger pretty lively

• Advertisement

What is the advice on battery and inverter storage

Do batteries need to be in an open space or can they be put in a enclosed press. I'm assuming the latter is a problem due to hear from the battery?

They need some ventilation, its the inverter you need to be more concerned about. They defiantly need space and veneration.

Where do you think you might put it.

If unsure get a site visit.

When looking at companies, should you look at number of years have been in operation..is there any point in 10 year maintenance warranty if they're going to be out of business after a few years?

Post edited by Bellie1 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hard to know, Nothing to say that a new start wont be in business in 10 years, or a 10 yr company closing next year! Its a bit like stocks and shares, Previous history does not guarantee future performance.

Yeah, I'd be of the same opinion as graememk. Ultimately (for me) it was down to the "vibe" that I got from the people I was dealing with on the phone. Sure, there's some slick sounding operators out there who'll try to sell you some snake oil, but with a bit of precision questioning it became clear to me if the person I was dealing with was on the level or just a shyster.

Price is the first thing that I'd use to eliminate suppliers. If someone is coming along and giving you a fantastic sounding deal. (24x7 after sales service, in the business for 15 years, etc), but they were charging €5,000 more. Thanks but no thanks.

Then it was more down to the vibe. If someone was €500 more expensive, but I found them easy to deal with, responsive on the phone, had a solid reputation.....yeah, I'd probably go with them over the absolute cheapest. Now of course, if you get a good vibe, excellent comms from the cheapest supplier......win-win.

The company I went with where only 9 months in operation, they where not the cheapest but my god the customer service was next level brilliant.

I went with my gut and it worked out perfectly.

Q

Thanks. I assume it's better to get someone local in case maintenance needed etc. I've seen alot of people here mention an Enniskillen crowd, not much point looking for quote from them if based in cork?

Local supplier is helpful, but I'd not say it's a necessity. My own guys are based out of the north, and I'm in Dublin. Found them to be 1st rate. Sure, they don't have someone who can "pop over" and have a look as they are not based 5Km away, but with the way that these folks operate they are often installing other installations in your area and can schedule a visit after the work is completed on another project in your city.

In reality though, they are fairly reliable pieces of kit. Sure, like all electronics, things break, but it's rare. For the most part though, they tend to just sit there happily converting sunlight into leccie.

Can someone PM me the Enniskillen name? Worth getting a quotation to compare anyway. Am in no rush to get installed so be willing to wait to save a grand.

Also, I know ye say that batteries are safe, but I'm nervous even with electricity and paranoid about fires. Drive my partner mad going around unplugging everything. Although maybe I'd prefer an explosion that would kill outright ! :-/

So I know would lose out on 900euro grant but if ask for hybrid inverter, then could easily enough add battery at later stage?

• Advertisement

Ask for a hybrid inverter. The batteries are bomb proof, you have nothing to worry about.

Advertisement