Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not sure why anyone would think McEntee would be a train wreck, shes widely regarded as a strategic thinker and hard worker and not given to emotional response or provocation.

Shes had big portfolios for a relatively young person still.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Harris's lust for facial recognition and willingness to attack anyone who was against is the most recent one - I'm very happy that McEntee is back to that that portfolio away from him. Add to that his desire to hide behind Garda independence ("its not for any of us") only when it suits.

Harris is willing to be seen to be right/authoritarian, Leo is more reticent to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wasn’t that Coveney’s mistake, about the eighteen previous Covids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I doubled checked and it was Harris

"As you probably heard today, I made an awful boo-boo... I can be an awful aul' idiot at times."

Simon Harris has apologised for claiming that there has been "18 other coronaviruses" before Covid-19 while speaking on the radio on Wednesday morning.

Harris said: "But remember this is coronavirus, Covid-19. That means there have been 18 other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any."

The Minister for Health posted a video on his Twitter page on Wednesday evening where he apologised for the mistake, claiming he can be an "awful aul' idiot at times".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

HMcE would be better off staying away from the leadership for a good while, if she got it now she would probably spend her entire leadership reign in opposition. If she has any sense, she'd wait at least one, or maybe even two, leadership cycles before putting herself forward. This applies to most potential candidates with ambitions, less so to Harris though as I doubt he'd even be part of the conversation in a few years time.

• Advertisement

She's a senior minister, she gets favourable numbers, widely respected among her peers etc and people close to her in FG will be pleading for her to run.

There are a couple of factors that may sway her. Her two children are very young yet and perhaps it's her intention to have more kids soon enough, in which case being Taoiseach isn't a family friendly job, so perhaps she does want to wait another 6 to 10 years, when she will be in her mid-40s.

But what happens in the meantime? FG don't join the next coalition, spend four or five years in opposition, what about Helen? Committee Chair? FG spokesperson on something uninteresting?

Whether or not FG are in the next Government, it will still make sense for her to be leader.

Make no mistake, the prospect of beating Mary Lou to the big job will be very appealing to McEntee, no matter how much she might deny it. Nobody ever stood for national politics without some modicum of ego.

If not, being an opposition leader, rebuilding FG in her own image and fighting Election 2030 under her own vision, not a bad place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

My thinking is that the next leader would not be the one leading FG into GE2030, hence waiting at least another leadership cycle. A lot can happen before that GE and the new leader would have to stay damage-free for a long time. Also, all leaders have a shelf life so I don't see ow it makes sense for either HMcE or FG to start the clock ticking on her now if they see her as a potential future Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The ECB was wrong to print so much money a few years ago during the covid crises. Now, unlike the UK, Ireland and the Eurozone are in recession. Contraction over the last 6 months will complicate ECB’s job to battle inflation. One of its few tools are to raise interest rates. Many people on trackers on already struggling between it and the cost of living crises etc. And the higher interest rates go, the less people will borrow to building badly needed housing...

They have not a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

1. The Bank Of England also engaged in massive injections of liquidity into their economy as a response to Covid
    2. The alternative to any of these Central Banks doing this would have been a real and deep recession with businesses going bust left right and centre, more akin to the financial crash in 2008.

The primary driver of Inflation in both the UK and Europe was soaring energy prices after the war in Ukraine.

I'm not sure why you're so keen to draw a contrast between the actions of the UK and Europe when there isn't that much differences. Both were hit by external shocks (the Pandemic and the war in Ukraine). Both central banks have reacted in a similar manner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The UK had to step last autumn to save the UK economy following the mini-budget of the newly appointed Truss that wrecked the place. Truss was forced out after 42 days, of which ten days were for national mourning following the death of the monarch.

Hmm - How does that impact on Ireland? Can you think of an angle of that financial crash that you can blame Ireland for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whereas Coveney in late 2018 suggested making changes to the proposed abortion legislation which would have been unconstitutional.

i.e. appease the anti-choicers by having the legislation require a greater than 50% Dail majority to be amended in future.

Unconstitutional right off the bat.

That's pretty thick if you ask me.

Life ain't always empty.

No, they weren't wrong to.

It was absolutely the correct decision at the time. Stimulus may add to inflation, but the inflationary period of the last 18 months has only been caused by the War, no other factor was significant in impact.

If they failed to act during Covid and then had this current crisis on top of it, we'd be f*** ton worse off in the EU than we are now.

A mild recession in a time of stabilising inflation and settling prices is a small price to pay. It certainly isn't affecting Ireland's fundamentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just an observation, but I think Coveney's embroilment in crony scandals has diminished his appetite for politics and the top job.

Doesn't seem particularly interested anymore.

The same Simon Coveney who said nasty things about the British, who in 2021 for example accused the British government of 'deliberately forcing breakdown' in negotiations over Northern Ireland, has found a lot of his support base has melted away. He overplayed his green card. The hoax bomb attack during his visit to Belfast was not needed to know that.

Yeh the same Simon.

I would be interested (but know it will never be presented, how you deduce his ratings fell because of his Brexit work?)

He recieved favourable comment from 'almost' (present company excluded obviously) everyone in those negotiations

The Foreign Affairs Minister, however, appears to retain strong public backing owing to his work on Brexit and the Northern Ireland Protocol and, in recent weeks, the conflict in Ukraine

So do you have anything of substance to back up your claim it was because he was 'nasty to the British'.

Is Helen's star going to fall another bit?

The poll shows the publics choice ; not fine gael's supporters choice : huge difference. That fact that a professional SF social media campaigner may like his green rhetoric does not mean the the average FG supporter does or did. No wonder FG has lost so many of its supports. He got some gunk when he went to Belfast and saw what people thought of him there. His body language said it all.

'Some' people in Belfast. The belligerents tried to attack him, nobody else.

So, absolutely no data to back up your contention AGAIN.

lol. Fine Gael losing so much of its support from its traditional base is not enough evidence for you? I'll not be voting FG in the next election because of him and Vradker anyway, that is for certain. And FG will not be going anywhere. They thought that by playing the green card it would bring them votes, but it backfired on them.

You have been asked for back up to your claims that Coveney and FG lost support because they played ‘the green card’ (whatever that is?) and because they were ‘nasty to the British’.

Again, you have failed to do that.

• Advertisement

I did not say he and Leo "were nasty to the British". They were not nasty in the same way your comrades were nasty. What I actually wrote was " Simon Coveney who said nasty things about the British, who in 2021 for example accused the British government of 'deliberately forcing breakdown' in negotiations over Northern Ireland, and who waffled about the "hugely irresponsible" actions of the British government, has found a lot of his support base has melted away."

There are many moderate business and other people in Ireland who would like to be great neighbours with our neighbours ; not speak to them and at them and about them as a Shinner would. We ended up with customs arrangements and red tape and costs in trading between the 2 islands which would not be tolerated in any group of islands anywhere else in the world, as I heard someone else say recently. Import duties / customs clearance / admin adds 10-15% to many goods, not helping our inflation rate. A bar of chocolate was €1 is now €1.50.

Post edited by Francis McM on

And where is the data to support this?

He was roundly commended for his protection of ‘Irish’ interests which Brexit has shown Britain valiantly tried to ignore/suppress in favour of their own.

We know how that worked out. NI separated by a sea border and under the rules of the EU.

Despite the best efforts of the Tories the realisation that they had lost dawned on Sunak.

Coveney and the other political parties by backing him here, ensured that outcome. And he was widely praised for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What nasty things did he say exactly? I'd appreciate some actual quotes.

In terms of "who in 2021 for example accused the British government of 'deliberately forcing breakdown' in negotiations over Northern Ireland" - how would you have described the UK government's behaviour at the time?

You appear to have a massive chip on your shoulder but when the likes of @FrancieBrady is pointing out you being incorrect in terms of Simon COveney then you know that you're really wring (and no disrespect intended to Francie).

My praise of Coveney's work on Brexit is recorded in the Brexit and other relevant threads. Had no problem doing it either. I think the consensus reached among all parties that Ireland needed to step up and speak up helped him and his team, who performed well.

Seth, I made some actual quotes, if you look carefully.

Yesterday on another thread I wrote "At least the DUP do not go to commemorations for loyalist terrorists, like the SF MP did in Armagh yesterday."

That, to me, is a true statement, or at least open to debate. I cannot ever recall A DUP MP (or indeed any notable DUP politician) going to - never mind being the main speaker at - the commemoration for the likes of Lenny Murphy, Johnny Adair or Skelly McCrory, or if Michael Stone was dead / being commemorated.

Incredibly, you then wrote "Mod: ok I'm going to call you out on your lies now. You're posts are what I can only assume is trolling and should you continue with this line I will take out my ban stick and put an end to it!"

That, to me, is incredibly unfair moderation. Yet everyone sees what FrancieBrady gets away with.

Seth, as you are being so unreasonable, and are known for being unreasonable, I am not providing you with any more quotes. Because if I post anything you do not like, you ban me. In fact I am not going to engage with you further on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I can't see anyone in FG losing any votes for calling out the bad faith behaviour of the Boris Johnson government's approach to Brexit negotiations. If anything their appearances on UK TV would have gained them support as they looked like the sensible voices in the room in comparison to their opposite numbers on the UK side. Varadkar, Richmond and McGuinness all acquitted themselves well.

Agree. It was Coveney’s magnetic attraction to cronyism scandals that damaged him and his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do you mean the Zappone thing? What others are you referring to?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Do not discuss moderation in the thread.

You've had multiple previous warnings for breaching forum rules.

Don't post in the forum again.

• Advertisement

’Magnetic attraction to controversy’ would have been a better phrase maybe.

Zappone saga itself

Then deleting texts

Champagnegate

Was it Waterford Whispers or someone else who ran the headline ‘Simon Coveney Not In Controversy Shock’?

Seemed to just come one after another for a while.

Advertisement