Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I imagine that will happen soon enough. The proverbial hasn't hit the fan yet, when the big energy bills start coming in and people are struggling badly to keep up with household bills, mortgage repayments etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They are. There are various strikes and the Enough is Enough campaign. I'd say coverage of both has been sidelined due to the Ukraine situation and the Queen's death.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah.....I suppose I'm limited to Sky and BBC and patchy viewing on my part and the occasional conversation with a friend or two living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

May be too easy to blame it on external factors though...the energy crisis wasn't of our making etc etc...seems like they won't really have to lie down in the bed they made unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I feel bad for the ordinary uk citizen led down the garden path by Dyson/Wetherspoons and their ilk who fled the country long ago, evil people legitimised by the Tories. This is the end game there's no turning back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Instead of capacity I'd rephrase that as political capital. She's exhausted it so completely over the last few days that I'd say we're in for another Tory betrayal of Loyalism in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

All an excercise in making the ordinary people think they were doing it " for them " when all along these guys are making themselves and their friends richer and more powerful .

The Baker thing is possibly to soften Ireland and also the EU up to agree to some sort of new protocol plan , and / or maybe realising they need friends on this side of the Atlantic at last ...although the latter is probably wishful thinking .

Anybody see Andrew Neil today ? Unbelievable ...Conservative party chairman rolled out to shout down any thing negative and tell lies about how this mini budget was going to " help the vulnerable " this winter ! Never mind that cutting NI will probably result in cutbacks to public services, stamp duty won't benefit anyone scrimping to try to get a mortgage after this and resulting higher mortgage interests rates will swallow up and negate any energy cap savings .

And the night they announced this disastrous move Karteng and himself ( and more !) attended a champagne reception thrown for them by wealthy party faithful and sponsors who were all quoted as laughing and celebrating that they would get richer on this and that Karteng was a " useful idiot" !

Any chance do you think they will opt to roll back the tax cuts in favour of not cutting public services , do ye think ?

The rot in UK started with Thatcher 's boom and bust cycle policies 40 years ago and will end with them hopefully thanks to Liz The Lady's Not For Turning Truss .

Hope her ass is handed to her this week ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In fairness there have been some large protest marches over the weekend, the "Enough is Enough" rallies are starting to pick up pace.

In other news Kwarteng gets to go on stage today in an attempt to justify his budget decisions, rumour has it that Truss (depending on today's reaction) is holding off on voting for parts if the budget (45% tax cut) if its a bad reaction from the party delegates.

Edit: It's just popped up on my news feed

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

The plan to cut the 45p tax rate has been dropped.

Kwarteng has tweeted that they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

They really are nothing but a bunch of absolute clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They wanted sovereignty over their own affairs.

The public were quite clear on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That didn't happen, and the referendum wasn't about sovereignty; it was about leaving the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wasn't replying to that question. Speaking of, did you ever reply to the various questions about your quote attribution to Ta-Nehisi Coates in the Biden thread a while ago? I accused you of lying and, I still think you did. Unless of course you retract.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They wanted sovereignty over their own affairs.

And how is that going?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think anyone without a significant interest in UK politics even knows who Baker is. I would disagree on that basis and because it makes no difference. Liz Truss couldn't even say Emmanuel Macron was an important ally. Meaningless words that would have cost nothing but she had to virtue signal to her cretinous base.

The EU have been dealing with the UK for over half a decade now. Nothing is being rolled back. I'm inclined to think Baker was being genuine.

Looks like Kwarteng has u-turned though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

a mistake ? It’s amazing how policies and the like seem to never be mistakes pre announcement isn’t it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Sorry, it was reported somewhere this morning that he had said it was a mistake, it seems that he didn't actually say mistake.

The tweet said it was a "distraction"...

Whatever they say, it's a really bad sign for their future plans.

So, it's just like it was under BoJo. "Pre-"announce something, get a reaction, do a 180. Was this all so Kwasi No Dough's budwans could make a killing last week shorting the pound, get the Bank to bail out the economy and then feck off to their islands to cook up their next manipulation?

Seems like we've heard this all repeatedly the last 6 years especially. Who needs BoJo when you've got a less clueful version running the circus?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm inclined to think Baker was being genuine.

Id tend to agree.

I think it may have been a final relisation that a post Brexit relationship with the EU involved more than just a round table between London, Paris and Berlin.

And I think Truss's meeting with Biden last week may have been a factor.

Another realisation, this time that a deal with the US doesn't happen, regardless of who is in the White House without dealing with NI in a professional and diplomatic way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was a pretext of soverignty but the people were told that the UK would hold all the cards and other nonsense. There was no understanding that if you wish to trade with other nations then you must produce to their minimum standards. This still has not sunk in with the British and they are still being fed the nonsense that the EU is punishing them rather than the EU has standards and any country planning on selling their produce there must follow those standards.

Britain can be as sovereign as it wishes. Nobody ever stopped that. However, in a modern world where countries buy and sell from each other, being a sovereign nation is not what it was when Victoria was Empress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is a major climb down and humiliation for Truss. A new leader who should be flush with the new leader bounce, and her signature idea, that redistribution is not an issue but growth and reduction in taxes is the key driver of the economy, has been left in tatters

She is now a leader in name only. What should have been a corination speech at the party conference will now be nothing more than a paint-by-numbers waste of time where nothing she said will be taken as meaningful. She can blame Kwasi all she likes, but this is on her and only yesterday morning when was staying fully committed to it.

Trust between the PM and the CX is now completely broken, with Kwasi feeling that he has been hung out to dry and the PM clearly blaming his for his inability to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can they not just say "lessons have been learned" and say they are moving on like what happens here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Id say she will say that and she will be fine.

Remember the Conservative MPs don't want a general election.

They will take Truss and the CX at their word and hope the whole mess goes away.

If the markets stabilise that will be enough for now.

But of course there will be another drama just around the corner to deal with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They now know they have a PM that the backbenchers can control. She will be their puppet now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

backbenchers can control all PMs if there are enough of them. Given her majority it took crass stupidity to bring things to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Technically yes but a strong PM will get them to row in behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Genuine question on the British "constitution" - as monarch, could Charles have Johnson, Truss, Mogg and their co-conspirators thrown in the tower for treason since their actions over the past few years have been placing their own financial interests (and those of their financial backers / Russian handlers) above the interests of the nation?

He really must be tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say he is tempted but basically Charles is a figurehead and is not suppose to get involved in politics, Kinda like our own President. Sure the government have told Charles that he is not take about environmental issues.

But I'm sure if him and few others had their way there would be a few of those Tories not just in the dungeon in the tower (some of the tories would love that) but would have them in stocks in Trafalgar Square so that the public could throw crap at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I know that in practice the British monarch has been nothing more than a figurehead for the past century or so, that the British constitution is pretty wooly and that the Queen always chose to stay out of politics but I'm wondering whether there are ancient laws that haven't been properly taken out of their legal code which could be used by the monarch to rescue parliament from traitors to the state...

I mean surely Johnson's lying to the Queen during the prorogation scandal alone would qualify as treason?

Advertisement