Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct procedure to avoid being undertaken when you get a blowout in this scenario

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The thread was about a blowout of a tyre when in the "overtaking lane" on a multilane road. At the end of your arguments you have dropped in now that you are on a pushbike. Drivers should be cognisant and considerate of you but it doesn't give you the right to veer across in front of them. Even if it did, it would be fundamentally idiotic to do it because in the event of a collision you are going to be the one coming off the worst.

Technically speaking you have to obey the continuous white line even if you are on a bike. I'd rather get there alive one minute later and be alive than get there early in a box. Which is why I made two simple suggestions. You can continue to veer across in front of traffic to prove a point if you like. There have been people killed at that junction multiple times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Turn on the hazard lights - this instantly tells traffic you are serious about doing whatever you want and you can safely drift across the 2 lanes to the safety of the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I'm trying to demonstrate that the person being undertaken is not necessarily at fault.

Threads can change course.

The person undertaking a person with a blowout is 100% in the wrong.

The person ignoring the yield sign on the R132 is 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Again, where did I say I wanted to cross the continuous line? Please quote me.

The drivers should NOT undertake after the line breaks. I might come off worse, but they are in the wrong and will have to pay for damage to my car or bicycle and any other injuries I might incur.

There is a continuous white line. There is no changing lanes. There is no undertaking.

When the line breaks, then you move into the left lane, whether you're driving or cycling.

And, do you expect the drivers in the left hand lane to go slower then you on a bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

He'll be in a taxi undertaking while the driver is smoking a spliff next

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

"Take this road for example, the R132. Drivers on the R132 road (lets' call them driver A) have priority over those joining from the R127 (driver B), where there is a HUGE unmissable Yield Sign"

They don't, both drivers are in different traffic lanes once traffic from the R127 has joined the R132, a yield sign only applies to the vehicle on approach to a junction, presumably that is an old sign from before a layout chagne, in law it is meaningless due to the layout of the road because further on where you suggest they must let you in is (a) past the junction, and (b) are two separate lanes now, the law is specific on who has priority in each traffic lane.

"The drivers in the leftmost lane are supposed to yield to the drivers moving across from the right lane, what else do you think the yield sign is for?"

The drier in each lane has the right of way over any other driver trying to join that lane, the driver in the left absolutely does not have to slow down to let a driver from the right lane join their lane.

Post edited by GM228 on

Advertisement