Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct procedure to avoid being undertaken when you get a blowout in this scenario

• 07-12-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Imagine you are driving on a 3-lane stretch of motorway (anywhere, any jurisdiction) but we'll use left hand driving for this situation.

You are driving along and you come up to a middle lane hogger, you correctly overtake the middle lane hogger using the outside lane. During this manoeuvre, you get a blow out.

The correct procedure during a blowout is to firmly grip the wheel and guide the car to the hard shoulder ... but how can you possibly do that when the majority of the other vehicles will be undertaking the lane hogger instead of overtaking legally. (I know that the lane hogger is in the wrong but undertaking only compounds the issue).

What would you do if you found yourself in this situation being undertaken after a blowout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

That scenario could occur if you were simply driving in lane 3 anyway.

I guess you put on your hazard lights and wait for a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The majority of the other vehicles are following the middle lane hogger like sheep. Very few vehicles pass on the left when traffic is moving fast, as most are sitting in the middle lane.

But as Speedline said you'd have the same problem having a blow out in the 3rd lane in traffic, you still need to safely navigate across 3 lanes of traffic and there's no safe way to do that when you don't have full control of your vehicle after loosing a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Many motorways in the UK do not have a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Lots of the 'A' roads don't have hard shoulders either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Buffman

'What would you do if you found yourself in this situation being undertaken after a blowout?'

Being undertaken is irrelevant in this situation, you have to assume you'll be undertaken anyway due to the loss of speed from a blowout.

Hazards on and try to safely get to the hard shoulder. If there's no hard shoulder, or the vehicle is disabled, get over as far as you can and get yourself out and somewhere safe (Even on the hard shoulder, don't stay in the car). If you're blocking a motorway driving lane and causing an obstruction, call 999 and hope they get there before there's a smash.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Priority here is getting yourself as far off the road as you can. If you blowout in lane 3 you let the vehicle slow down, but you keep driving on that flat until you can move lanes and get off the motorway. Destroying your rim and having to fork out for a new one is better than coming to a stop in lane 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,892 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Worse situation, which actually happened to me last year.

Try driving on the motorway, heading north just after the airport turn off and lose all forward drive due to an autobox fault. No option but hazard flashers and coast, continually slowing ( because of no drive ) until one of the HGVs I had overtaken had his wits on him and slowed enough for me to coast left to the hard shoulder.

If they hadn't left a gap I'd have been left with leaving the vehicle in a live lane and trying to shepard people onto the hard shoulder

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Exact scenario happened me a few years ago, except I had to cross 5anes basically. It was just after/before Ballymun where there are 2 rejoining lanes to the motorway, so 5 lanes. I was in the very right overtaking lane.

Rear right had a blowout. No slamming on the breaks or anything. I just took my foot off the accelerator, light press on the breaks to light up the lights, hazards on, and pretty much straight across to the hard shoulder. There wasn't a huge amount of traffic, but still navigated my way across. I think the flying bits of rubber helped people realise though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, but the OP was referring to being in lane 3 of a motorway. I've never been on a A road with 3 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I had an engine blow up (sudden loss of oil caused the pistons to seize and one blew a hole in the engine block) while overtaking on a busy motorway one morning. It wasn't 3 lanes but that hardly mattered - sudden and catastrophic loss of power with a car right on my tail and having to coast across traffic on the left, that was now overtaking me, into the hard shoulder.

Also had a car suddenly go into limp mode while overtaking on the outside lane of a 5 lane section of the M1 (heading north, just before the Airport exit), at night in the rain. Loss of speed wasn't as dramatic, but there was a lot of traffic to contend with in poor visibility without optimal power. I can't remember if I went to the hard should that time or took the exit, but I had to get out of where I was.

You just do your best to get over to the hard shoulder. If you're lucky, you get there. If you're not, well, that's when crashes happen. I guess if there was a big enough accessible central reservation on your right, you could safely pull into that. But there wasn't in either of my situations.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Whilst the middle lane hogger is in the wrong, the people overtaking him / her on the left are compounding the issue.

Overtaking on the left is dangerous driving and is the reason which makes the blow out more dangerous. The people overtaking on the left need to be punished the same as the middle lane hogger.

Middle lane hogging would drop drastically is people didn't undertakake as undertaking normalises lane hogging.

If you have to overtake on the left or you choose to do it, you and you alone (along with the lane hogger) should accept all that happens as a result, ie, if you smash into the blow out car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

even reading the end of that sentence "coming to a stop in lane 3" gives me shivers..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

There’s a very easy & simple way to stop all overtaking-on-the-left from happening - prosecute poor lane discipline.

If everyone drives in the lane they are supposed to, overtaking-on-the-left behaviour drops close to zero. Kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

It is up to the person changing lanes to look out. A driver could 'let' another driver change lanes out of courtesy but ultimately any blame in the event of a collision falls on the driver changing lanes.

It's not a courtesy, you're obliged to yield to your right.

Why is overtaking on the eft (outside of specific circumstances) illegal then?

I can understand overtaking lane hoggers on the left (albeit still illegal) but someone in distress with hazards on ?? You should NEVER overtake on the left.

Even people who are "exempt" from the RTA, emergency services, gardaí, fire etc show appalling lane discipline here. I've seen them lane hogging on near empty motorways when clearly not in pursuit as they're often below the speed limit when doing so. If our drivers (who are apparently more qualified than us) can't get it right, what hope do we have of enforcement? Surely deviation from the rules should should only be allow when required and not "jUsT bEcAuSe I sAiD sO".

That's what I thought.

The cars doing the "undertaking" in this situation are 100% in the wrong (aside from the lane hogger of course).

Besides, there are several situations where a person could be undertaken when they are NOT in the wrong and the person doing the undertaking is entirely at fault.

https://goo.gl/maps/f5qTd3fPBvmbAucx7

Take this road for example, the R132. Drivers on the R132 road (lets' call them driver A) have priority over those joining from the R127 (driver B), where there is a HUGE unmissable Yield Sign. If driver A on the R132 wants to move over left, and all the driver Bs are speeding and undertaking, then A has 2 choices, wait for a gap (hold up traffic behind them) or break the speed limit (which is extremely dangerous) given it's a shared space with cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,843 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If A wants to move over into the "left lane" there he'd want to check the oul' unbroken white line..................

Who said (or implied) that I was going to cross the continuous line and not wait for it to break?

I await your reply.

No one has answered my question yet or acknowledged that the undertaker IS in the wrong and in some circumstances the person being undertaken is simply not the one at fault.

The example I have given from the R132 is one such example.

You did. You're complaining about not being able to move in the "left lane" when you actually aren't allowed to there. It's a 60k zone. For both lanes. If you can't manage to move into the left lane there (after you are allowed to do so) then you're not going to be able to do it anywhere and shouldn't be driving. There would be relatively few drivers who would need to move to the left lane there and if they do, they have quite a distance in which to do it. You have indicators and mirrors. The former is just to alert other users of your intentions. They don't give you a right to do something.

The continuous white line there is to stop eejits in the "right lane" from veering straight across the paths of the others who have just joined from the other road. By the time the line breaks, you have a nice straight bit behind you for both lanes and should be able to see what is coming.

• Advertisement

Please quote the part where I said I would cross the white line.

The drivers in the leftmost lane are supposed to yield to the drivers moving across from the right lane, what else do you think the yield sign is for?

The statute says you're not allowed to overtake on the left unless the traffic you are overtaking is in a queue and you are proceeding straight ahead or in very slow moving traffic, 60 km/h is not slow.

You are also not supposed to overtake a vehicle on the left when that vehicle is indicating left according to the statute.

How do you expect me to enter the left lane on my bicycle ?

I await your reply.

There is no undertaking in the piece of road pictured. You must stay in lane.

Therefore the drivers in the left are not undertaking.

The line breaks metres after the junction.

I await both of your replies.

I know. I have driven it many times.

There is no undertaking while the continuous white line is there, you must stay in lane.

if you are undertaken when the broken white line is there, it is your fault, get into the left lane.

The yield sign there is to warn the people coming from Lusk village direction to take care because some eejits don't know what a continuous white line means, and are liable to cut across them.

Q1: How is it my fault when I am already driving at the speed limit?

Q2: How do you expect me to get across when I'm on my bike? The car drivers should yield to the cyclist who wants to enter the left lane.

On your bicycle is a different matter. If I was you, what I would do there is actually slow down at the junction (or even stop at the little island bit) until you got a clear spot to move in to the left.

If you want to be safe, turn left at the junction towards Lusk, then cross that road and come back to the junction from that direction so you are already in the lane. It might take 2 minutes more but would be worth not getting squashed over.

So you see no issue with the drivers ignoring the yield sign?

Why should I have to do that?

I have right of way and the drivers MUST slow down to allow me in front. Then they can overtake if they wish.

There seems to be a toxic cohort of rule braking and speed apologists on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The biggest problem here may not be you and your blowout but all the other f*ckwits that may not give you an inch even if they know you're in distress.

• Advertisement

Advertisement