Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eating proper food for breakfast

Options
  • 07-12-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Is there anything wrong with it? My friend eats normal food from each food group; (starch foods, fruits, nuts, cheeses, vegetables) but mainly sticks to veggies and protein. I've actually heard that the idea of eating sugary foods for breakfast is a marketing gimmick that came from the States and bad due to the sugar crash you experience in the afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, eating "cereals" for breakfast is not the best idea. Too much sugar and other carbs. Quote from web: "The average box of cereal generally contains 19.8 grams of sugar for every 100 grams of cereal (one serving)". The recommended limit of sugar intake is 24g per day (women), and one would almost reach it with 100g of cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The idea of most cereals being a healthy choice for breakfast is really just food industry propoganda. Pumped with sugar and very little nutritional value. They're really more of a dessert food.

Some more nutritious options would be things like porridge, yoghurt, fruit, eggs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

You don't need breakfast it's a Kellogs marketing trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Perfectly fine to have lunch or dinner food for breakfast.

As others have said, "breakfast food" are marketed as giving an "energy boost" to power through your mornings but all that's just nonsense.

Japan is a good example where it is normal to have rice and fish for breakfast. From a quick Google search...

What do Tokyo eat for breakfast?

A Week in Tokyo: 7 Must-Have Breakfast Dishes

Steamed Rice (Gohan)

Miso Soup (Miso Shiru)

Fermented Soybeans (Natto)

Grilled Fish (Yakizakana)

Rolled Omelet (Tamagoyaki)

Vegetable Side Dishes (Kobachi)

Breakfast cereal is best treated as a dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Cill94,

What do you think about 2x Whetabix for Breakfast? I thought I was being healthy eating Granola for a long time but I've been told that there can be too much suger in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Weetabix is a pretty nutritious option in my opinion. Paired with milk or yoghurt and you get a bit of protein there too. Fruit mixed in is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most cereals are crap carbs/sugars. But saying there is 19.8g in a serving is a bit of an exaggeration. 100g is about 2.5-3 servings. Ditto for oats for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I'd reckon eating a wide range of foods for breakfast is definitely better than eating some of the sugary concoctions regularly served up as breakfast cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I prefer an omelette with some cheese and a little bacon, light and nutritious …

always feel a bit sluggish after a big breakfast and most cereals are tasteless bowls stodginess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's 2.5 to 3 times the recommended serving. But the recommended serving, depending on the cereal, is between one-third of a cup and a cup. I suspect the typical serving is considerably larger than the recommended serving. Or maybe it's just gluttonous me who would regard a cup of breakfast cereal as a distinctly small serving.

If you have two steaks for dinner. That’s doesn’t mean there’s two steaks in a serving. It’s means you had two servings for dinner. ;)

Recommended servings of cereal/oats/museli is small because it’s high energy. If you’re only having cereal, then 2-3 servings is prob fine. But if it’s cereal, plus toast and an egg, plus a glass of juice. It should probably be 1 serve.

Same way that 2 steaks is fine if you’re not having mash, veg and gravy.

I'm not talking about what people should have; I'm talking about what they actually do have. The nutritional impact of eating breakfast cereal doesn't depend on what the recommended serving is; it depends on how much you serve yourself.

(And, for what it's worth, if you're having toast and an egg and a glass of juice, the right amount of breakfast cereal to go with that is "none". Make the toast wholemeal, and that provides cereal. And the juice almost certainly provides more sugar than you require. The breakfast cereal is probably surplus to requirements on both counts.)

The post I was replying to above referred to the sugar content in a 100g serving of cereal. If people are eating that, their issue that they are eating too much not the sugar content. People need to get energy balance under control before blaming macros. Example, 100g oats is also too much, despite a good sugar profile.

And, for what it's worth, if you're having toast and an egg and a glass of juice, the right amount of breakfast cereal to go with that is "none". Make the toast wholemeal, and that provides cereal. And the juice almost certainly provides more sugar than you require. The breakfast cereal is probably surplus to requirements on both counts.

Will depend on the person, but for the average person you are probably wrong there.

An Egg, a slice of toast, and a glass of orange is reactively small breakfast. Maybe 300calories. Not very filling and hardly enough energy. A "serve" of cereal brings it to 500-550. That's a ,ore reasonable about of energy at breakfast for a moderately active man. Without the cereal, you need to have an extra eggs and toast - which is the point.

It wouldn't be for me, as I think orange just is a waste of energy. But the point is that a bit of everything is the same as a bigger served of one thing. It's the overall that matters.

The impact of making the toast wholemeal or not is pretty insignificant though. Again, focusing on the macro before the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Don't exaggerate. 1.3g sugar per 100g for lidl corn flakes. I don't eat breakfast.

Personally, I eat plain Lidl corn flakes myself when I have no time to rustle up a proper breakfast. However, it seems that you have failed to understand the word "average" in my post. Some cereals have less sugar, some more.

Let us consider, as an example, this product which as described as "Chocolate Flavour Crunchy Wheat Hoops Fortified with Vitamins & Iron. Enjoy as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle": https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/product/weetos-chocolate-hoops-cereal-500g-100111244

Sugar content: 19g per 100g of cereal.

If you don't believe my statistics that were studiously pilfered from Google, feel free to prove me wrong by doing your own study.

I agree, 30g per serving seems too low. Personally, I tend to have porridge and a cup of tea for breakfast. I have just measured how much my bowl of porridge weighs -- it's half a cup of oat flakes (75g) boiled with a cup (200g) of water, so 275g in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is an obvious case where 'average' is meaningless. Sure the market contains crap like frosties, coco pops and other rubbish, but the average sugar content of corn flakes, wheetabix and shreded wheat wouldn't be close to Google's results.

If you toted up the contents of a liquor store to get the average alcohol content, given all the spirits, the figure would probably be stupidly high and quoting it would be silly when most consumption would be of the lower alcohol content productcs like beer, cider and wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I personally intake sugar in my breakfast. Only use one spoon in tea. For me, egg, tea and porridge are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

As someone who doesn't eat breakfast (I don't break my fast until later in the day when I am actually hungry) I think eggs are best, over sugary toast, cereal and fruit juice which seems to be the standard for most people for breakfast.

Cereals are creation of Kellogg in the last hundred years or so - presume people ate meat, cheese, protein, whatever, before this time for breakfast?

Personally I like to eat food that my great grandparents would recognize so I try to stay away from processed food these days. I used to eat weetabix as a child but now consider it too high carb for my consumption

• Advertisement

Processed cereals are an invention of Kellogs. But porridge in one form or another as a breakfast food goes back a long way.

Advertisement