Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra: December 7/8th 2021 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Serious gusts here in East Clare for the last hour worst it has been all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Newport gusting 119kph at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just read through it. A litany of disaster everywhere. Friends in lyracraumpane will have no power or water (well) till sometime tomorrow.

Got away lightly where i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Newport gusting 64 knots

Mace head 62 knots

Roaches point 55 knots

Shannon 54 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Roches Point has recorded some very strong gusts throughout the day. Pretty standard winter storm fare in terms of the strength for us in East Cork but the duration of the winds is unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Power gone in an area in South Sligo this 2 hours and for the duration now. Very gusty and squally downpours since 7.30.we are at 152m asl and I'm thinking we may have some white stuff come morning? As you say, can't see Ben Bulben with the dark and rain. Thanks for all your forecasts. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Can someone explain technically how Dublin is orange but not some of Meath or other counties? Please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It feels like code Red here,west mayo, window panes being sucked in and out, violent gusts. Frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport warnings active:

CASEMENT | EIME AD WRNG 02 VALID 071700/081000 WIND SFC SSW 30-35KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 0718/0720 W 30-35KT MAX 50-55 FCST=

DUBLIN | EIDW AD WRNG 03 VALID 071330/081000 WIND SFC SSW 20-25KT MAX 35-40 BECMG 0719/0721 W 25-30KT MAX 45-50 FCST=

SHANNON | EINN AD WRNG 02 VALID 071100/080100 WIND SFC WSW 30-35KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 0713/0715 WNW 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

KNOCK | EIKN AD WRNG 03 VALID 071900/080700 WIND SFC NW 30-35KT MAX 50-55 FCST=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hi Gaoth what website do I get this info. Certainly stormy in Sligo now and power went for 1500 people in Ballymote due to fallen power lines.

I was thinking it must be above 100kph in Sligo. There's any number of trees down all over the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In an answer to a question I posed on the general thread, there is a weather station near Lahinch (Clare) and their maximum wind at half-hourly intervals was 42 G 67 knots, which is fairly close to what both Valentia and Mace Head reported at other times. And that was time stamped 4:30 p.m.

Too bad there isn't an official station somewhere in that vicinity as it's rather a big gap from Athenry to Shannon.

It strikes me as interesting that there have now been two storms (Arwen and Barra) with very strong northerly winds, in a span of about ten days. You have to wonder if this will become a bit of a thing this winter and sooner or later associated with colder air masses too. No such luck I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here

Formulario para peticion de mensajes aeronauticos (ogimet.com)

Type in EISG and select the time period. It will show all the metars and TAFs for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some models have an area of very strong winds for Greater Dublin Area tomorrow morning which probably explains why Dublin has been upgraded to an Orange Level Warning again. 

Im surprised at Clare. You’d think lahinch would have been pushed inland at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder what track and pressure reading we would need for that to happen. Is it possible you can deliver this, if only so you can read something new M.T.Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

Population density close to the coast would be my best guess

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I heard it mentioned that Dublin was raised back to Orange due to a marginal call on conditions and due to population density and greater risk of debris and damage, they erred with Orange rather than Yellow.

Notable today at my Davis station near Arklow was the sheer number of gusts above 80 and 90kmh

The sheer persistence

At one point around lunchtime the 10 min average was just shy of 80

11pm

Mace head gusting 67 knots

Newport 64 knots

Belmullet 55 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Latest TAF for DUB has increased the Gusts to 58kts overnight.

TAF EIDW 072300Z 0800/0824 26024G38KT 9999 SCT012 BKN020 BECMG 0800/0802 28028G48KT TEMPO 0800/0809 SHRA BKN012 SCT018CB PROB40 TEMPO 0800/0806 28032G58KT 4000 BECMG 0819/0821 28018G30KT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still can't get Sligo Airport gusts. But must be in the 60s. Its roaring out there. At 7 it was calm. But then 710 it went mental. Worst wind in Sligo in many years

The fact the wind is a direct Northwestly is helping it pick up uuuummmpph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pretty horrible in Galway now, some longer sustained gusts making an awful racket in the chimney. Spent a few minutes watching my neighbours trampoline in awe, it must be well tied down. 42 Kts was the previous highest, will be interesting to see the next report.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure how much accuracy to put on this, but discovered earlier today that my phone has a pressure sensor, which can give me the local pressure, and correct it for sea level based on GPS elevation.

As of 23:50, the corrected sea level pressure for Ashbourne in Meath is showing as 970 Hpa, which looks about right compared to the Dublin Airport figures from a few minutes earlier.

Winds here are starting to pick up again after an afternoon of strong breezes, I can't see wind direction at the moment, but wherever it's coming from, it's considerably stronger and more gusts in it than a few hours ago.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

METAR EISG(SLIGO) 072330Z AUTO 31042G57KT 3500 BR BKN022 OVC027

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

I'm just outside the town and it's increased even more in past 20 mins. Absolutely wild. Lights flickering. Reckon power could go any min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It wasn't too bad at Poolbeg (in Dublin) this morning/afternoon, I've been there when it was a lot worse but the waves were spectacular. I went down about 2 hours before high tide and the waves were higher than they were for high tide, probably due to extra wind speed and a proper side impact. As the wind changed direction closer to high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Does Markree in Sligo only put out temperatures or also include wind speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Certainly a wild night here just east of Castlebar. The sustained nature of the wind is certainly one of the standout features of this storm.

Mace Head gusting 64 kts in the ME midnight reports and Newport here in Mayo hitting 65 kts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's a breezy/windy night in Galway, and that is how it best described. Nothing we wouldn't get every 3rd or 4th day under normal zonal winters.

Anyway, managed to grab a gust that went above 40 knots just after midnight. Like the majority of these 'storms' that occurred since the naming system came in, it seems very much a coastal event once again. Those hardcore winds just cannot seem to penetrate much inland anymore.

New Moon

Advertisement