Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra: December 7/8th 2021 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just so you (all) know (stupid) new Boards does not have a facility to move posts to threads within a forum....only to another forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Wild in Galway now this evening, would expect some damage with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The Dungarvan pics were fine in here, validation of storm surge forecasts.

This new phase of the storm is colder and introduces relatively severe wind chill to the list of hazards.

When's the next high tide in Galway, that could be nasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wild afternoon , kept the electricity but good few around Tralee lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

MSLP pressure bottomed out at 958.2hPa here in Galway during the early afternoon. Rising again now at 971hPa. Wind coming and going. Nothing really sustained.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Can you post a link to that please. I can't find that model anymore. Thanks

At least 30cm over mountains.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

Pressure is 966 here in sligo town and rising slightly.

Was calm all afternoon here and it just kicked off all of a sudden at 7pm as predicted. Sounds like it's going to be a rough one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This evening and late afternoon seems to be much worse here in the south east (Kilkenny) at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The highest gust of wind that I recorded on my station in Galway today was 88km that was around 6am this morning, currently hitting 50km nothing severe

Struggling to gust over 30 knots here (I don't know and don't care what that is in km/h). Seems to be calming down more generally now, though I think these winds will come and go for most of the night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

47 knots so, I have knots, km, and mph on the station, Is that it or could we get stronger gusts later I certainly expected wind way stronger than what I got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

High tide just passed in Galway at 19.28. Sea was remarkably calm at the Spanish Arch, but pretty wild at Salthill. Seem to have avoided the flooding though, thankfully.

Wind is picking up now, and it has turned bitterly cold even compared to this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds seem to be on the increase again in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's definitely the peak of the storm here in Laois since about 7pm. It looks like it will continue like this right throughout the night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just going through all the Kerry county council tweets and reports of multiple trees down around the county including roads and footpaths closed in Ballybunion due to fear of falling debris, main road out of Tralee between Rathass and County Buildings closed due to debris, Road closed due to large fallen tree in New Road Killarney and wont be cleared until morning, two trees down on Listowel to Tralee road and Numerous other areas.

To find out more see Kerry County Council Twitter account

Eased but still blowing a gale here outside Tralee

Glad that nobody was hurt by the tree that fell outside the school.

Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mace Head back gusting 70 knots

Newport gusting 62 knots again

52 @ belmullet

You could get dizzy reading the general storm thread, it's one post saying really bad conditions, then another saying nothing happened here, then one saying nothing happened anywhere. Nobody ever seems to post that conditions are really bad everywhere so there's one niche available for anyone who really wants to stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gusting 66 knots at Sligo Airport at 9 pm

METAR EISG 072100Z AUTO 31041G66KT 6000 SCT020 OVC026 06/03 Q0970=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm

Mace head gusting 70 knots

Newport 65 knots

Status Orange - Wind warning for Dublin

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Barra will bring widespread mean speeds of 60 to 80 km/h and gusts greater than 110 km/h. Heavy rain will also bring risks of surface flooding and, due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.

Valid: 01:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021 to 07:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021

Issued: 21:10 Tuesday 07/12/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

9pm Observations (Gusts km/h)

Malin = N/A (Highest 119 at 10am)

Belmullet = 96 (Highest 96 at 5pm)

Newport = 120 (Highest 120 at 9pm)

Mace Head = 130 (Highest 133 at 5pm)

Valentia = 80 (Highest 130 at 11am)

Sherkin = 81 (Highest 135 at Noon)

Roches Point =107 (Highest 120 at 11am)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Interesting that up to Dungarvan was red and then downgraded to orange and it was Dungarvan that had the worse storm surge. Cheekpoint was also flooded up to the road and the green. Cheekpoint is at the Barrow Suir Estuary junction. Those waves at Tramore this morning would be what you get for a low end storm, no storm chaser would get out of bed for those babies. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sligo Airport's TAF has 68 knots, with a slight chance of 75 knots up to 4 am.

TAF EISG 072000Z 0721/0806 32040G60KT 9999 BKN025

TEMPO 0721/0806 4000 -SHRA BKN012 SCT018CB

TEMPO 0721/0805 32045G68KT

PROB30 TEMPO 0722/0804 32050G75KT=

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

I think these are the accurate readings so far. Obviously a lot of these stations are on the coast so inland areas of those counties wouldn't have hit those levels but gives an indication.

Bantry also had a serious storm surge, I heard. Maybe further east the thing that helped prevent one was that winds quickly turned to a direction parallel to the coast which does not force as much water into bays as a diagonal wind direction would.

In the years I have been around here I don't recall wind gusts as strong for Sligo A from any direction so just wondering what is their record high gust? Must be some interesting wave effects across Ben Bulben (probably nobody around to detect them).

Newport also looking quite close to red alert conditions on latest obs. There must be a few isolated areas of Mayo and Sligo reaching code red conditions but probably widespread orange the general theme.

There's a long way to go before this storm dies down across parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The warning don't just apply to official met stations though, Waterford Airport had a gust of 111kph.

• Advertisement

Heavy squally sleet in Kildare,

Advertisement