Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The only audio I struggled with was Spider Punk but maybe that was the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saw it in the cinema. Enjoyed it. Felt very fun and wild and just huge and everywhere.

I'd say it's fine to wait for a good home entertainment system but probably for the real deep Spider-Man fans, there'd be a good time going to see it on the big screen.

The one criticism I have was my eyes felt strained or something wierd in places with the artwork. Some of the way it looked in places reminded me of seeing a 3D IMAX movie if I took the glasses off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He purposefully talks under his breath to Miles a few times, or mutters things to himself. That's where I had the most trouble with him. But I definitely struggled in a lot of places in the film, or could just barely piece the dialogue together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw it in the Cineworld faux-Imax screen and there were definitely audio issues. Especially at the start in the Gwen prologue it felt like the sound mixing levels were off. There were definitely other parts where I struggled to get the dialogue - again possibly a sound mix issue, but also the film gets pretty chaotic at times on purpose.

Going by reports the film came in pretty 'hot' i.e. post-production was finished much closer to the release date than would be typical of a major Hollywood release, so sound mixing may have been a consequence of getting it out the door quickly. Or it could just be the Chris Nolan problem of 'wall of sound' approach to sound design, where legibility of dialogue suffers in favour of brute force loudness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh good (Well, bad) I thought it was me with the audio. As you said, especially at the start. No problem with music or sound - They weren't too loud but yeah, I found the dialogue volume low at times (Found Hobie difficult to get also).

I think it was more of the fact it needed a tweak rather than an intentional Nolanesque Wall of Sound type thing. (Hopefully he's taken that onboard. Tenet was practically indecipherable for the majority of the movie. And not just the wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Simply couldn't understand 75% of what they were saying. So much so that I have not rewatched it since the cinema)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was tempted after the first 10-15 minutes of the film to go out and ask them to adjust the volume, but like you said the music and sound effects were fine, it was only the dialogue. I felt it might just end up making the music/sound too loud and there were kids there so I just felt best not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched it a few days ago. It's a great cinema film (although some people have had issues with the audio).

I think unfortunately it suffers in comparison to the first one, which had a really compelling story and a lot of heart.

I think the story probably would have worked better with a smaller main cast - a lot of the characters aren't used a lot (Spider-woman, Spider-Punk), and maybe that time could have been spent tightening up the motivation for Spider-man 2099 and making his story more than just the brief flashback it was.

As a visual spectacle, I loved it and it's filled to the brim with easter eggs and references. It's also exactly in line with the things I love about Spider-man as a character and the struggle that the character has (which is something a lot of superhero characters don't face).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

The "3D movie when the glasses are off" issue affected me a *lot* during the first movie. I honestly thought it was my eyes acting up (as no one else mentioned it), but its present on the blu-ray, digital version and also in the sequel, so clearly very intentional. I love all the stylistic choices they made in the two movies (especially the ones that mimic comics), but I'm not sure what point this effect serves other than to make certain things look sort of blurry.

Having said that, I was extremely impressed with the creativity they had (and were allowed to have) when it came to animation styles. I never thought I'd say this, but it makes Pixar look like old (safe) hat in comparison!

Story-wise, for a two-parter I thought it was far too long and like almost all Lord and Millar joints I found it extremely chaotic on first viewing. I look forward to absorbing it all a bit better at a home-viewing at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just back from this and... I'm disappointed. The visuals were amazing, so I'm not referring to that. The story was pants.

Yet again, they're focusing on the humanity of superheroes. I'm sick of it. I like my superheroes to be just that, not human (because, well, they're not, they're mutants as acknowledged by one of them). I felt most scenes that were just Miles or Gwen, or the two of them, were boring. Everything else was great, and some of the comedic moments were excellent ("Perfect Pose"), but I felt the main characters dragged it down with their humanity. It felt like more origin stories albeit that's the central theme to a degree. And I'm sick of origin stories and touchy feelsy bits.

For once, I was happy to see "To be continued" because it was finally over. Not a patch on the first (outside of the visuals). But I also acknowledge that it's a personal reason, so I can also see how it appeals more to most other people.

Kudos to motorbike Spiderwoman for telling Gwen that more or less you can't have personal feelings as Spiderperson, while she herself is pregnant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

After the second weekend out The Flash dropped to third and Spider-Verse jumped back to the top of the Box Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Went to see it today and enjoyed it as much as the first movie. I think they knocked it out of the park.

I kind've got a Who Framed Roger Rabbit vibe from it with how they connected the live-action universes to it. I also got a Rick and Morty vibe from it as well with the all parallel universes having a different Spider-Hero character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally got to see this, having been dead keen but life getting in the way of experiencing it in the cinema. Suffice to say: wow.

An utterly overwhelming experience: 2 hours of having my senses pummelled & massaged in all the right ways; one where the sheer visual density on show never drowned my faculties beyond comprehension or thrilled entertainment. I said it of Into the Spider-Verse that it functioned as quiet evidence towards the Superhero genre being best suited to animation - so this sequel kinda made that entire question a bit of a no-brainer. You just can't do the things this film did in live-action; a certain heart to heart between Gwen and her dad was the most beautiful piece of animated cinema I had seen in years

It's a point of contention around here - a bit one, but there's no doubt for me the last couple of years has seen the functional duopoly of Superhero blockbusters - DC's stable and the MCU's own - show a substantial wobble in both execution and audience enthusiasm. The end-results have perhaps been inarguable: audiences are stifling yawns while the productions show a laziness in execution bordering on contempt. The half ássed CGI mush has been well publicised and explained, while there has been a degree of listlessness in the bones of the films themselves; the MCU in particular has been lurching about in search of a point since End-Game.

So within my own growing impatience with Marvel's meandering course, along came Across the Spider-Verse as both a rejoinder to the suggestion of so-called "Superhero Fatigue", and that the genre still had something to offer cinematically, emotionally - and just as pure unbridled entertainment built with a modicum of style, the confidence to trust its audience to "get" something this outlandish, this imaginative. This unabashedly beautiful.

By now it's well known the film ends on a supreme mic-drop as everything came to a head, but the only reason it worked in the first instance was 'cos getting there was a whirlwind of enlarged stakes, impact, character - and a sense that if Into... was those first hesitant steps, here was the confidence to just run with the idea. A swaggering second act of a story with more panache, imagination, heart and creativity than the vast majority of this genre has depressingly managed across recent years. Yet where other sequels might fumble the sudden need for "More!", Across... never tipped the film into nonsense, or the kind of messy chaos that would often sink an overeager follow-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

New short film set between the first and second films.

It's done in collaboration with a Speak Up mental health not for profit company.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emilyhlib

Honestly, I liked that part. I love watching this kind of thing, especially in the cinema

Advertisement