Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

You don’t ask for much do you? 😉

FEBRUARY Challenge was the challenge with the hills! Nominate your 10k time, how much elevation can you get in that time! The thread had people being cajoled into trying it, brave (or crazy?) souls who attempted it more than once and posters being shocked at how little some of their hills actually ‘elevate’!

And yes, they are nominations so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Unless my votes have been lost in the post then ariana was my most improved nominee. ...I see Oonegative is doctoring the results again 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah yes sorry, I was just recapping the nominations so I don't know about any additional cases in the (four?) votes that were already cast. I think it's safe to say that these votes should be recast via the poll, so for the few early voters, if there are any posters/performances/events etc in there that have not been mentioned in the thread itself yet, please do share them with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Poster of Year- The Limerick hipster, Swashbuckler, has been around all year with good, clear advice and always posts in a calm and pleasant way.

Log of the Year- Murph_D, if the man wrote a book I’d be the first one in line to buy it.

Thread of Year - shotgunmcos’ early year challenges.

Performance of the Year - Laineyfrecks Manchester marathon, we all know what happened to her. Shows the woman’s mental strength and toughness to do what she did and run a fantastic time on top of that.

Comeback of the Year - TbL, Phoenix from the flames. What the man has done is truly inspiring. From close to a spinal operation to running over 400 days in a row.

Hall of Fame - ecoli hands down on this, the amount all of us have learned off this man can’t be quantified. I still to this day apply stuff he told me into training and sessions. A man the forum should be hugely grateful to.

Just a few to add to the categories for me Murph.

Poster of the Year AMK

Most improved ariana

Best race Banna 10k

I think any race that went ahead should be nominated to be honest 😆 . Newmarket 5k should be stiff competition for jingle bells but yer all Dubs on this feckin forum....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

Firstly yes I'm still here and never left but I'm a total disgrace as a contributer and always have been(in my several guises) . 2 reasons for this, 1: I hate typing and 2: I'm usually misunderstood, my own fault as I struggle to make my point clearly.

Thanks to Enduro for the nomination. I would say take me off the list as I don't contribute to the forum but don't expect to win anyway so no harm I'm guessing.

I don't follow alot of what's going on. I usually pop in to see if anythings happening in the ultra thread and scarper fairly quickly.

Poster of the year

Shotgunmcos , always enjoy what he has to say.

Log of the year

Amk.

I was very interested in seeing his coaches plan every week and how he managed the sessions. That made it very interesting reading for me if I'm honest.

Comeback of the year.

Tbl

I used to read his log alot just for the travel and comedy and of course hoping the sub 3 would come. I dont believe I'd be able to come back from all he's been through.

Performance of the year

Um1

Thats for sparta right and the marathons a joke. Delighted to see him finish again. After a couple of "rocky" years.

Hall of fame

Well I think krustys log should go into it. Compulsory reading.

Can't decide between ecoli's and enduros knowledge, I learned alot about running reading their posts and they never seem to tire from answering the same question. Enduro never ever EVER tires from giving his opinion on gels either.

My highlight was running Mizen to Malin. If I never do anything else I'll always have that. Funny story, I was running in the dark early Sunday morning of that run totally wrecked and not in a good place. Looking at my feet as I was running along, happened to look up for a second and right in front of me the sign for Tang. "This is where Barry must be from" starting thinking about boards after that for a while. My mood never faltered after that.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of people I’ve met that think I’m taking the pi$$ when I say where I’m from, glad to see another person can say it exists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Firstly, you can take me out of the hall of fame nominations, that was a joke 😋😂 I'll vote for @claralara, what a legend.

Don't think I have anything new to add to the list

Log of the year @Murph_D for many reasons, mostly his style of writing but some brilliant progress made this year showing that like a good wine, he gets better with age..

Thread of the year @shotgunmcos February challenge (all of them but this one for me, I enjoyed it the most)

Race report of the year @AMK at Jingle Bells, an effort deserving of recognition - some decent running too!

Performance of the year @Laineyfrecks Manchester marathon

Comeback of the year @TBL

Poster of the year @OOnegative cranky fecker that he is

Post of the year @djemba djemba on Jerry Kiernan

Updating the nominations with the latest additions. I've taken a liberal view - all mentions at this stage, no matter how fleeting (e.g Newmarket 5k) is good enough to be on the list. If you don't want to nominate it/them, don't mention them! Btw swashbuckler you're wrong about the Dubs' love of Jingle Bells - a fine race but we love travelling to events around the country. Personally I've raced in Dublin, Cork, Meath, Kildare, Waterford, Donegal, Tyrone, Wicklow, Limerick, Kilkenny, Westmeath, Fingal (Fingal is a county, right?😜) And I'm just an occasional racer compared to a lot of people. So there!

If I've left any out, please remind me.

I'm adding DubGal to the HoF nominations. Brilliant marathon mentor in 2015, fabulous runner (National Road Relay masters gold in 2016, all round great person, definitely one of the good guys. I'm a bit of a Dubgal fanboy, I'll admit).

Poster of the Year

Log of the Year

Thread of the Year

• What shoes you wearing now and what next?
    • February Monthly Challenges (Hill repeatsy)

Newcomer of the Year

Most Improved Runner of the Year

Race of the Year (real or virtual)

• Jingle Bells
    • Kilbeggan 10
    • Shotgun’s challenge(s)
    • parkrun’s return
    • Banna 10k
    • Newmarket 5k

Race Report of the Year (real or virtual)

Post of the Year

Comeback of the Year (M/F)

Performance of the Year

Hall of Fame

Post edited by Murph_D on

Haha to he fair it's not a question of ye not travelling but more a question of volume of folks on here running in the few races that went ahead. When was the last time a non Dublin event won race of the Year out of interest? I am genuinely not trying to be controversial here lol....

By the way late nominee for post of the Year. Pc11 in the dcm 2021 thread.

Well DCM almost always wins race of the year. Donadea won it not too long ago though.

Yep, good call on that post. Was considering it myself earlier actually but was hoping someone else would jump in!

Just over 24 hours left to vote guys on the polls Murph_D set up superbly. Votes close 8pm tomorrow evening!!

40 minutes my time, 1hr 40mins for the rest of you.

Please bare with me folks, I will announce the winners later this evening. Last few Christmas drinks have to be had first!!

And here they are, in no particular order folks:

Post of the Year - djemba djemba's touching tribute to the great Jerry Keirnan. He may have been a sh!ite footballer, but D's words about his former coach brought a lump to everyone's throat who read it.

Race of the Year - parkrun returns, a weekly tradition that i know is close to many peoples hearts who fequent this forum.

Thread of the Year - shotgunmcos' February Monthly challenge, a tribute to the man who kept the forum on the road for the early part of 2021.

Most Improved Runner of 2021 - ariana, lady who's reaped the rewards of consistent training and miles over the year. Richly deserved for the hard work she has put in.

Newcomer of 2021 - marathon2022, one of the few new additions to the forum over the year.

Performance of the Year - Laineyfrecks Manchester Marathon, what she done i still can't comprehend. The lady is made of sterner stuff than me, a truly epic run in the face of what she had been through in the lead up to the race.

Race Report of the Year - see above, a truly heartfelt report on an amazing PB performance.

Comeback of the Year - TbL, many thought the forum had lost one of its great characters ,but like a man who used to suffer from erectile dysfunction he came back hard in 2021. Absolutely great to see.

Hall of Fame - Krusty_Clown, not a huge surprise, a man who has shown us all what hard work and dedication can get you. A massively talented runner who is a huge loss to the forum. A genuinely nice guy to boot in real life.

Log and Poster of the Year - The creme de la creme of awards as far as i am concerned when it comes to the annual award giving and our winner is, Murph_D, richly deserved on both fronts and long overdue, he continues to PB as he approaches pension age and wisely offers his advice to anyone that asks. One of the guys that keeps the forum alive and a man i always look forward to running with. Bravo D!!

That is it for another year guys, a huge well done to all the winners, and a MASSIVE thanks to our Poster of the Year for setting up the polls to decide the winners. Happy New Year to you all guys. Great to see others stepping up to the plate lately and trying to make the forum active again.

Delighted on many fronts. So happy to see ariana and lainey get the credit they deserve. 100% truly deserved. Well done.

Also delighted for Murph. You deserve it.

Thanks Oonegative and Murph for getting this up and running again this year. Hopefully the momentum we've gained in the last few weeks keeps going.

Thanks all. A huge and unexpected honour - thanks to everyone to took the trouble to vote. And thanks OONegative for organizing.

Wish I’d prepared a speech now. Must watch that Father Ted Golden Cleric episode for some ideas!

Simply, thanks, and let’s try to keep the place going for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw thank you to everyone who took the time to vote & to everyone who takes the time to read my meandering thoughts which lets face it can turn into waffle quite easily!

Thanks B & D for putting this all together & well done D so richly deserved. Well done to all the winners.

I am currently in bed isolating with Covid so absolutely no running for me in this new year just yet! Got quite a dose & only coming round this morning but this has cheered me up. In a year that was the toughest of my life last year did make me see how much we actually need the kindness & compassion of people around us in times of need & sometimes its the people you least expect that surprise you the most.

As D said above let's keep this place going cos its not a bad place to be at all😊

Not another one! Hope you recover well. And congrats! 🏆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for organising the 2021 awards. Happy New Year to all and here hoping for a fit and health year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats to all the winners, I always enjoy these awards as it gives us a chance to look back at all the good stuff. @Laineyfrecks wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

Really well done to all and fair play for organising.

And don't worry too much @Laineyfrecks I was in same position as you last year, bed ridden with covid. Ended up with 3 PBs so you'll be back stronger than ever. Just take it slow in first few weeks, my HR was sky high for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Thanks to all the organisers and voters. Happy New year to you all.

Thank you for all the people who took time to read it and thank it at the time. I also found solace reading other people's posts. It was difficult to write but also easy to write about an Irish sporting icon and he did give us lots of material. Jerry will always be greatly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice one lads. And good work Murph and Oonegative on the awards, many won't appreciate how much work it is to run these, pull nominations together, put polls up and collate results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks for organising Murph & Barry and congrats to all the winners - its a great little community we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah lads & ladies, I'm honoured to get a mention never mind an actual nomination & award! Thanks to anyone who voted, chuffed with that. It was a funny ole year for me with really just one big race. In comparison it to 2018 where I PB'd at every distance from 5k to the Marathon, it seems less impressive on paper, but that in reality that one PB meant more to me than all of the 2018 PBs put together and it was a PB that was an accumulation of a couple of year's consistency.

Congrats to all the other very very worthy award winners! Delighted to see them all go to worthy nominees. Thanks @OOnegative & @Murph_D for all the effort to keep this tradition alive.

I feel I haven't given as much to this forum as other years but hopefully with the new found momentum I too will get back into the groove.

@Laineyfrecks hope you're turning a corner, mind yourself, it's early in the year yet.