Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've been lurking away reading logs and posts and have enjoyed quite a few of the logs and posts. Couldn't fill in all the awards but a few that stand out to me are below

Poster of the Year: I thought Shotgun was posting great content in his log and on the site before the site changed and he went quiet for various reasons.

Log of the Year: Followed a few this year but it's a resurrected log for me from Jebuz's that has been a great read, really like the writing style and the race reports left you feeling like you were there

Thread of the Year. Some of the challenges were excellent, can't remember which one specifically!

Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual). Murph_d's report where he had a little left in the tank and just missed out on the PB or Jebuz's against Mick Clohisey

Post of the Year: concur with others on DjembaDjemba's post

Performance of the Year: Laineyfrecks in Manchester, serious amount of determination and emotion in that performance.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

That post from djemba djemba on Jerry was something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd actually missed this. Two highlights for me, both from TTs.

Managing to complete an 800 m training plan and then running it in 2:08 to get under my 2:10 target and taking 5 seconds off my pervious best.

And 9:46 for the 3 k to get under my 10 minute target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My own log has been interesting to read back on simce Mar '20. I've kept logging but with the lack of races, it became a small enough world in there. The log did provide a bit of inspiration during the last couple of years in so far as I was able to share the ups and downs and bounce ideas off the small group that follow it.

As regards the forum, Shotgun kept the lights on for a while in here, before he had to take a his leave with injuries. I get that too, I've always found it difficult to visit these parts if I'm injured or sick (as I've been this week 😭).

Djemba Djemba's post on JK was a great one alright, and Lainey's log was essential reading for any number of reasons.

My own year was pretty bereft of highlights, mainly because I very publicly put all my eggs in just that one basket, which when it didn't come to fruition was a tough pill to swallow. Hopefully I've learned some lessons from that process.

If pushed for a highlight, going up to Anrtim Coast HM and running 77mins was a good day out and despite a few organisational issues on the day, it was probably the highest quality race I've been in on this island. A HM equivalent of Raheny if you like.

Anyway, looking forward to 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Now now, Raheny was never declared short! 😉

My own highllght has to be the Fastlane HM, a rare PB made all the sweeter after a few failed attempts, one only weeks before. The 5k TT (not a PB but a rare sub-20) was another, all the more so for the coaching and pacing help I got in the buildup and on the day. And of course there was the ‘Oh Davey!’ moment during the run itself. 😵‍💫

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Totally agree with all the praise for both Shotgun (who is an exceptionally sound lad IRL, as well as a great poster) and Djemba Djemba's post.

I popped in to nominate ED.... (not sure if I got the correct number of dots) for performance of the year. The only problem being he has two awesome performances to choose from. Firstly he went and broke the record for running the length of Ireland, from Mizzen head to Malin head. I know how hard a target he set himself there, and he really put in everything to get the result. So a Guinness world record achieved there.

Then he went and won the Irish 24-hour running championship in less than ideal conditions up in Belfast in October. But he didn't just win it. He destroyed the field and smashed through the 250km barrier to annihilate the Irish record and place himself a step above all his predecessor record holders. He moved the standard of Irish ultrarunning up a notch with that performance.

I find it hard to pick between the 2. They were both tremendous. He's definitely Irish ultrarunner of the year.

My own highlight this year was my whole summer Spine race experience. The first race back after a long gap. Feeling like I had a good body of training done without really knowing how it would apply in reality. The sheer excitement of travelling for a big race (The hugely exotic experience of a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Manchester 😀 )! I was determined to enjoy the experience of running the course in the summer as opposed to battling it in winter. And the weather mostly played ball thankfully. Ended up breaking all my targets and setting a new course record, whilst thoroughly enjoying the entire experience. Just that week alone was enough to make this year a successful one from my own POV. One for the highlights reel for sure.

Good reminder about Ed, kind of forgot about him once he moved his log to Facebook. 🙄 Amazing performances alright, as was your own. And ultraman even managed to finish a race in Greece, as he reminded a couple of us at Jingle Bells last week.

I'm slow to pick up on this, just had a breakthrough. Just noticed if you click on the poster's icon/picture (as opposed to the username), there's an area showing how many COMMENTS they've made, and if you click on that, it shows you all their recent posts. Looks slightly different on phone vs laptop, but the link is there either way. This is a bit more indirect than it used to be, but not as awkward as I thought. This is the way I keep track of my own posts, for example.

Duh! Everyone probably knew this already. Although the guidance on how to transition to the new way of doing things has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think 90% of people gripes with the new format is just a lack of digging a little deeper. At this stage ,with the tweks they've made I only really have two issues. For me, threads that I'm up to date on used to be unbolded. That's no longer the case. Secondy, the "read first unread" feature is gone. If they fixed those two I'd be happy.

Agree with all that. It's still two or three clicks replacing the previous one though. That's enough to lose a huge amount of people. From a techology point of view, the capability and features are there, but not the usability. It's a crucial difference.

I'm not having the issue you are with 'up to date' threads, interestingly enough. The experience is probably different across platforms, devices, operating systems. Still a lot to iron out I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Alerted to this and hang my head in shame that I went AWOL after the changeover. Sorry folks 😳 Swashbuckler nailed the reasons.

I set out with a 10k goal to beat my 30 year old self 38:08 pb. Anything 37:xx would have been satisfactory. Ran 36:36 after a focused block and was bloody shocked! No intention to try better that. The marathon is a draw if I can ever run consistently again 😕

Thanks for the mentions, great to see the forum active and buzzing. Happy Christmas and hopefully Santa brings ye lots of running swag

Shotgunmcos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for the shout out for Tallaght and the DH Jingle Bells race lads (even though I was clearly AMKs second fav Elf that morning 🤣🤣) it was actually talking to @Laineyfrecks in Tallaght that got me starting logging again. I have always been more of a browser/lurker than poster. That's something I will try and rectify in 2022.

I tend to hover around the training logs most, usually to see what other folks are up to and it have been very evident that we are all a dedicated bunch who have stuck to the running for the last nearly 2 years with not too many races, some good logs to pick from as Log of the Year.

Forgot to add my highlight of the year - pretty much no contest for mine as Tallaght was a bit of a standout performance. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have backed myself to go sub 17 for the 5k so to run 16.53 was a good one, a definite reaffirmation that solid consistent training can get you pretty far.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’ve had four people vote so far, things posted here will not be considered. PM only for your nominations please. And four is a shocking total considering the traffic on the forum lately!!!!

You got mine yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

What's the deadline? You're not great with the little details. 😉

Assumed this was a new year's thing, as always....

[Edit: just checked your original post and see we have til Dec 30. The year's not over yet. Some great performances last night in Drogheda e.g. - don't know if any boardsies participated though!]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

I've been meaning to put some thought into this but the forum hurts my eyes a little. Lol.

My shouts would certainly include shotguns challenges at start of year. ( post/event/poster of the year). One of my enduring disappointments will forever be the migration deleting the poll on strava art before results were shared.

As ReeRee said return to parkrun has also been nice (sorta!).

Personally, bit of an up and down year. I seemed to spend most of the year trying to keep the wheels on a wobbly wagon. First year since 2012 where I haven’t done a race. I enjoyed my flirtations with 80/20 training plan and will defo return to it.

My main highlight would probably be the February elevation challenge attempt. Running up 3 rock at first light before work was actually a really really nice experience as well as a pretty good work out.

After the events of October, I’ve also been somewhat chuffed to be out on the road at all in the last few weeks, but that’s more of a general feeling than a ‘highlight’ per se.

Would you consider setting the vote up as a poll? I don't think PMs are the way forward after the last couple of years!

• Advertisement

Haha, not at all. I just don’t see more than a handful of people bothering to DM. Polls are so much easier. Just have a deadline nominations, then a poll based on those, for each category. In other words, the way it used to be done. 😉

Thanks to those who have voted already, Murph_D’s idea of a poll seems a better way to & may attract more votes. Nominations that have been made on thread already & ones made before 26th of December will then go to poll for voting, results will be announced New Years Day.

Over to Murph_D now for the poll setup(thanks D👍🏻).

No problem, B. I’ll set up the polls on the 26th once all the nominations are in.

Happy to help B out with this annual event, which is an important way of appreciating the many good things about this forum. Despite the ups and downs in terms of forum traffic, there have been a good few highlights and many, many positive contributions during the year, all of which make the place what it is, and these nominations are all about what makes it a good place for discussion and celebration of all we enjoy about running.

Just to recap where we are at the moment, I've gone through the posts on the thread and pulled out the nominations. They were not always directly nominated, but I've taken the view that any mention at all in relation to one of the categories is good enough at this stage of the proceedings to count as a nomination, for the purposes of setting up the various polls. So a few of the the below are implied, but good enough for a listing, in my opinion. If anyone disagrees, robust debate is always welcome. 😉 I may have missed a few, so let me know if you spot any omissions to date. Some of the usernames are slightly off, they'll be accurate on the poll.

Still plenty of time for more nominations, so keep them coming. If you ask me, there's still some way to go here. Most (not all) of these are the usual suspects, and there could be a bit of of male privilege at play, although it does seem there are fewer women than ever posting regularly here, which is a great loss and a shame. Maybe it can be reversed.

Thanks to all who've contributed to the thread so far. And especially to Barry for setting it up. I'm just the elf here to his Santa. 🎅😀

Poster of the Year

Log of the Year

Thread of the Year

• What shoes you wearing now and what next?
    • Shotgun's Monthly Challenges (amalgamated)

Newcomer of the Year

Most Improved Runner of the Year

Race of the Year (real or virtual)

• Jingle Bells
    • Kilbeggan 10
    • Shotgun’s challenge(s)
    • parkrun’s return

Race Report of the Year (real or virtual)

Post of the Year

Comeback of the Year (M/F)

Performance of the Year

Hall of Fame

I may try to repost this with links to some of the relevant posts over the next day or two. When adding to these nominations, do please link - which seems harder to do than it used to be, thanks to the new forum hosting environment, but it is at least possible so help us all out here!

Happy Christmas all. Over to ye...

Post edited by Murph_D on

Haha who on earth nominated me for log of the Year! Remove me from that list...

I'll happily take poster of the Year though. I've been phenomenal. And if what shoes are you wearing now and what next wins ,I'll also take that accolade as I've single handedly kept that thread alive.

Ariana should be in there for most improved too.

As I said, even a passing mention is good enough. Lucky for you. Barry might overrule me on this, but you're in for now. 😉

Is that a nomination for ariana' then? (Note that I haven't forgotten that vital apostrophe, or whatever it is.) 😁

I'll collate new nominations and repost this list daily until the polls go live, hopefully to keep people thinking about it. There are still a few obvious omissions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I will have it tough choosing between many of those nominations, but I would separate the monthly challenges out perhaps? As I think the Feb challenge thread was particularly good.

Has no one mentioned AMK or OOnegative for the hall of fame?? Or what are the parameters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd DM'd already so I'm guessing I'll need to vote then. I am partial to changing my mind...

Jebuz might be in danger as it seems he pulls the same comeback trick every year around Easter and is reborn in December. We'll see in 3 days how the rebirth goes I suppose.

• Advertisement

Help us out by being specific about what was in the Feb challenge because people will probably need to be reminded of what it was about that one. I thought it was worth thinking of it as a combined thread because it could easily have been organised that way, and if you nominated them individually they might split the vote.

Re AMK/OONeg HOF noms, the answer is, they have now, assuming that is a formal nomination. 🙂

Advertisement