Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J&J Vaccine - Booster Required after Just 3 Months? Panic Decision?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dunno. If everyone’s going to turn into zombies, I’d rather be a zombie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr shmar

Trials are done before full approval.

The stats that come out of the trials are what people look at to determine if it is to be approved - the determining factors being highly flexible of course

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Just on this, a few weeks ago I looked at the Boots Vaccine portal, they still had appointments for J&J shots in the Ilac Centre and in Blackrock. Of course J&J isn't approved as a booster here yet so you couldn't get this as your second dose or booster.

Really hoping that they do approve and get J&J supplies here again for boosters. My mother is avoiding mRNA due to an allergy and is a J&J recipient. From the studies shared here though, I'd be confident enough that she does still have some protection (she got J&J in June).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Sold for 15 quid, takes two weeks to kick in, is useless 3 months after the day of the jab.

See, this is why I can't understand people who have blind faith in the vaccine.

The same people who said this one had X and Y efficacy and six months minimum protection are the same ones saying a vaccine definitely won't affect unborn babies, female fertility, etc etc.

I'm double jabbed but that sort of blind faith in people who are proven wrong again and again really puzzles me.

I’m with you on all of that!

It’s literally the white lab jacket effect.

i.e. ; they are the experts therefore they must be correct no matter how bizzare things get, even if they repeatedly move the goal post every couple of months to another arbitrary point in the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

I really appreciate reading all(well,not all)comments from medical eggberts about vaccine efficacy and duration.Who needs nyphet,niac,the who etc

Cheers, thanks for putting this up.

Will be sure to take a look into it.

With regard to your mother, I suppose the best way to look at it for now is that having the 1 j&j from the first time around is as good as it could be as of today.

I think j&j approval is no issue, it is simply a supply thing. It’s not a coincidence that all individual goverments happen to have approved only the vaccines that they have been able to get their hands on - for example Sputnik being approved in parts of South America.

If j&j was easily available to the country any time soon, we would get them in because the allergy factor seems to be common enough for it to be a real issue.

Not to mention the small amount of the population who are just not willing to get any mRNA vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Which is cool, but lI wonder will there ever be a consignment of J&J vaccines for people here who want that choice as a booster. And where did they source these? I thought our own supply had dried up or was going out of date by september just gone? A new bought in consignment I suppose(IIRC our gift to Uganda was AZ). I note in the comments a few of the gullible going on about "dud" vaccines for the "poor" that only last "three months". If the vaccine was so crap the Nigerians would be telling up to head off. Well it is the Journal comments section which seems to be mostly populated by Kens, Karens and the monumentally thick. Some may complain about the quality of posts and posters around here, but good jaysus for the most part Boards is a beacon of sanity compared to Journal comments.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Wasn't there several hundred million doses of that vaccine ordered under the EU Covid vaccine procurement scheme? Nothing like that quantity was delivered by the company before countries (incl. Ireland) completed vaccination programmes using (mainly) the Pfizer/Biontech vaccine.

I am guessing that J&J would still be under contract to supply these (?), but they will go to Covax or otherwise be donated or sold on to other countries that need them. It is certainly not a "dud" vaccine, but probably simpler and more efficient for countries to just use the mRNA ones now that the production has been scaled up enough to meet requirements without cobbling together supplies of multiple different vaccines (J&J, AstraZeneca etc) or potentially wasting vaccines trying to offer choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interesting article, J&J is a better booster for those who originally got Pfizer.

Can we email the Nigerian Prince and get our half million doses back? 🤔

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Other studies showed that J&J on top of J&J was a big booster of antibodies too. Though the same studies found the best results were gained after six months or later, rather than three months. Though I can see why mix and matching quite different vaccines would give such an effect. If they increased immunity by slightly different means then mixing them would be a double whammy. Still as it currently stands I'll only take another viralvector booster.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement