Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car drives into Christmas parade in Waukesha, 6 dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭TheRef

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the structure of the BLM movement, but is there an actual membership?

If so, is there a vetting process?

If not, then whats to stop all types of crackpots lunatics joining up?

This is one lucky little girl. THIS VIDEO IS NOT GRAPHIC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread title updated.

Can be updated again as more facts become known

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

America is on the brink. The worst thing you can do as an Irish person is get tribal in this nonsense, distance yourself as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Oh it was a Self diving car was it ? Didn't think they were cleared for mass production yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Lucky kid, if it was a terror attack that kid would have been the first victim imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

If the guy was white who had sympatic posts on his social media about neo nazi ideals as well as posts saying black people where evil coupled with driving the car into a crowd of black people I think it would be fair to say he was a neo nazi scumbag and none would rightfully take issue.

How come BLM are a protected species when it comes to similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Quite simply people don’t seem to getting enough islamic terrorism and although willing to have the odd white supremest terror attack in the interim , seem shortchanged when it’s neither

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I don't think America is on the brink at all. All people have to do is call out these lunatic fringe groupings like BLM or KKK etc... as extremists and not hide facts from the public.

The media has spent the last few years telling its audiences that white people are evil and black people are oppressed. That needs to stop and until it does these groupings will continue to have a voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There will undoubtedly be people racking their small brains to try to link this to misogyny/toxic masculinity or *anything* apart from BLM.

it wil be interesting to hear what the media have to say about the suspect and his background. Will there be any racism angle at all. If this had been a white man who posted hate speech on social media, you can be sure that they'd be all over it - regardless of whether the victims were white or black or whether his actions were endorsed by/on behalf of any group.

I only heard about this incident on sky news this morning and must admit that I swallowed the narrative about the suspect fleeing a previous crime which implies that the killings were a terrible accident.

Well said. This backward racial interfighting is a poison the US has to deal with. Also applies to political tribes, of course.

Not sure it is on the brink. The media and political extremists seem to want to push it that way, but the vast, vast majority of people in the U.S. are just getting on with their lives.

I agree. I think it started out as fleeing the scene of another crime but based on videos from the parade, he started out by avoiding people and then the brake lights went out and he sped up. Deliberately mowing people down.

Why not stop, get out and run? I can’t see any police cars chasing him in the videos circulating. Based on his social media posts, he has a hatred of a certain section of the community. Has he used this random opportunity to do what he said he would do even though it wasn’t the plan before he drove onto the street holding the parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Ridiculous video. Of course the adults who were with the child cannot be blamed for letting it dance (or whatever it is doing) on the road when there was still traffic going.

The typical hysterical Twitter warrior

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was a crowd of people. No specific racial make up of the group or of what they were parading about*, other than "people who live in that town".

• Maybe if the driver was Native American and take issue with Thanksgiving, but nobody is claiming that.

I know you have a penchant for "controversial" bad takes but this one is up there with some of the worst.

Rein it in chief. You are impressing nobody.

You know as well as anyone that the road wasn't open for traffic. There was a parade where vehicles were moving slower than walking speed. Nobody should be expected to anticipate a deranged BLM supporter was going to motor down the parade route.

• Advertisement

Yes, but attacks don't often factor in that every victim has to be of a certain make-up. The 2016 Nice terror attack truck driver didn't know the make-up of the entire crowd - perhaps there were some on his side there, who knows? But he went ahead and did it anyway.

What? The only vehicles are part of the parade. Fecking hell you’re a strange individual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that makes sense in your head because you obviously think BLM is some way comparable with neo-nazism.

edit: i see you're banned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was a closed road with marching bands going along it and a few other vehicles as part of the parade.

That was an attack against France / the corrupt west I believe so different motivation.

Nothing yet to suggest what motivation may have been behind this, if any.

• Advertisement

Nothing concrete but what we have to go on at the moment is a BLM activist who has previously advocated violence against white people, mowing down innocent people at a parade, days after a ruling in his state which the media dishonestly portrayed as white supremacist getting away with murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Could be an incel, an ISIS lad, a young white kid defending himself, or a misunderstood white man who had a rough life or was just having a bad day. Could be a pissed off unstable black person too.

A BLM, is code for person capable of anything? That's some right wing racist gymnastics. Yes, I said racist. The idea being anyone speaking up for the black minority can be associated with looters and killers by merely wanting to speak up for the plight of black people is racist. Thats the underlying theme after all.

Looks like kids died. Take a breath on that before using them for point scoring.

Was the trump supporter attack a Trump attack? Give over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hang on, first he was a BLM 'member', then a 'supporter', now an 'activist'.

yet again, the fact that he had any link to BLM does not mean this was a BLM 'attack'. no more than jodie foster was responsible for an attempt on ronald reagan's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Yeah possibly, the media over the there is horrendous, the country's leaders are equally as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://youtu.be/WVDbRlTp9K4

great analysis here. blah blah nazi source etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Same standards should be applied to this as the Rittenhouse case. And in that, he was labelled a white supremacist on a shooting spree who went out and targeted black people. People on here and media outlets even made up some black people as the victims.

Your right about nothing concrete.

You missed the bit about that he was fleeing another crime, which would have far more bearing on what he was doing at the time.

The fact that he was a BLM supporter/activist/member does have a little bearing on his actions in the context that it may indicate racial motivation due to the recent Kenosha trial.

If it is acceptable for Kyle Rittenhouse killing three white people to be deemed an example of white supremacy, it is surely acceptable to just mention that this man was an active BLM supporter/activist especially given the close proximity of location and time between this incident and the Rittenhouse ruling

It might do. If anything has been made crystal clear over the last few weeks, that you should take any evidence presented by media outlets as suspect.

I don't know if he was fleeing another crime. It sounds mighty suspicious and I have no reason to believe it at present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If there is a racial element to the incident, then this racist murderer being a BLM supporter is about as relevant as a white supremacist murderer being a supporter of Israel and everyone decreeing it to be the fault of the Israeli government.

Attempting to equate being even vaguely connected to BLM with being in the KKK is utterly absurd, though I suspect those making the connection know that.

"Crossed state lines" or "Fleeing another crime" both true but both used in dishonest ways. Fleeing another crime doesn't explain his actions. I've seen many car chases before and they always avoid hitting pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Is this discussion for real? I wasn't too familar with the Rittenhouse trial, just always heard he shot black people. Now here people were saying he didn't shoot one black person, the ones he shot (2 dead, one injured) were all white, so I checked and found it obviously to be true. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/01/us/kyle-rittenhouse-shooting-victims-trial/index.html

WTF is going on?? How can this be a revenge attack if not one black person was killed or injured by Rittenhouse??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have not looked at the video neither do I plan to but are we sure they were of "no specific racial makup" ?

The reason I ask is because if anyone is familiar with US cities and their surrounding towns they will know that they are not particularly racially diverse.

White people tend to live in one suburb/town/neighborhood, blacks tend to live in different suburb/town/neighborhood.

This tends to be more than case in working class areas rather than more affluent areas.

In Boston for example if I were a black person hell bent on killing white people by driving into a Christmas parade I would know exactly which town would have a Christmas parade that would have predominantly white participants or spectators.

Same goes for a white person who wanted to kill blacks, they would know which parade would have predominantly black participants or spectators.

According to the 2010 US Census Waukesha is 88% white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukesha,_Wisconsin

Wow Brucie. Mentioning that this lad had a connection/supporter of BLM is racist?

Fucking hell. Give it a rest.

You may have had a slight point if it wasn't so close to the Rittenhouse case in both time and location, but it may become relevant in this incident. It might not, but we can only go on what information we have at the moment.

We get it... we get it, "mostly peaceful" etc...

Because some people don't care about facts. They get their news from twitter feeds and misleading headlines.

This guy may have just seen that a white supremacist shot up a blm "protest" and got away with it.

Now obviously, I don't know that to be the case, but it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

You must be mixing me up with someone else. Either that or re-read what I said not what you re-imagined i wrote.

BLM isn't code for potential killer, looters. If you think it is you've been brainwashed by racists.

"A BLM, is code for person capable of anything? That's some right wing racist gymnastics. Yes, I said racist. The idea being anyone speaking up for the black minority can be associated with looters and killers by merely wanting to speak up for the plight of black people is racist. Thats the underlying theme after all."

I attributed you saying the above to mean that mentioning he was BLM supporter was racist.

I may have been less than generous with my interpretation of what you said and I happily retract my post.

As an aside, does not supporting or being against BLM make you racist in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Investigators now have a 'person of interest' in custody, Media have identified Darrell Edward Brooks Jr. who was allegedly found by police with the key to a red Ford SUV which was used in the attack on the peaceful crowd at Christmas parade in Waukesha that has killed 5 and injuring many more. The police has not yet identified the suspect in custody officially.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-rapper-identified-suspect-christmas-25514258

The alleged suspect appears to be a career violent criminal and child pimp who was also an ideological black supremacist and anti-white. Brooks for years openly called on others to commit acts of terrorism and violence against white people.

I originally that this was someone fleeing another issue or crime and there was an accident. Either was this is shockingly horrible and hatefull

• Advertisement

'The media has spent the last few years telling its audiences that white people are evil and black people are oppressed. That needs to stop and until it does these groupings will continue to have a voice.'

What is this rubbish??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Sigh its too early to read much into this. Until more facts come to light there is little point throwing racism as a motivation into the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

yes, was just thinking to myself after I posted it it probably leads nowhere to question the motives of a dumb, ferocious, inhumane excuse of a human being.

What's to question more is the reporting of the media and their real motives. that video from the guy posted earlier might come across a bit of a weirdo type of guy (especially the intense cat cuddling while speaking😂) and I didn't had the time to watch it fully, but interesting points made..have to watch it fully later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think it would be fair enough to call him a black supremacist or anti white terrorist but given that I don't see any BLM leader ( so they even have official leaders?) calling for death to whites I think it's a bit much to pin this on BLM. I think people that do that obviously want BLM banned or designated a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I don't want the inverse of the Rittenhouse case happening. He was falsely painted as a white supremacist and it had been reported even that it was black people he shot. So in this case I'm not presuming anything until more facts become known. I'm certainly not a BLM supporter but I don't want to jump to conclusions as to this guy's motivations. It does seem more clear cut this time that the driver is racist.

If that is based on the Facebook post screenshotted earlier then all that is calling for is better education. Not a whole lot that could be established from that post he made except for him being an angry person that can't spell.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is being reported that this was almost certainly not planned

It is being reported that the vehicle and driver had previously been involved in another incident

It was without doubt terrorising for anyone involved or witnessing this

However you can all drop the "terrorist incident" angle

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this post in-thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I feel so sorry for the people who have lost loved ones or may have life altering injuries and mental scarring from this incident.

Whether the people were killed intentionally, or they were killed and maimed due to reckless disregard for the safety of others, the outcome is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Whatever about his motivations, this is not simply a case of someone fleeing a scene accidentally losing control of a car and hitting a crowd.

At one point the car slows, changes direction slightly then accelerates quickly hitting several more people on the parade route.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Sickening and cowardly. RIP to the victims.

Too many mad and bad people in that country.

I feel sorry for the decent peaceful Americans, who have to live in such a crazy place.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

CNN still reporting the suspect as "he or she" ...

so disingenous...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement