Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japan won't let go of ice engine

Options

Comments

Yeah off shore are probably more powerful, I was going by the closest wind farm near me which use Nordex N90 which are 2.3 Mw

16 Mw is pretty good, have you got make/model ? must be some beasts!

Here you go, these are the 2 newest of the big boys. Note the rate of growth in size for offshore has been crazy over the last few years. I think they've basically double in output within the last 6 years but I'm open to correction on the exact timeline, but its fairly short regardless

They're some turbines, I can't begin to imagine their size.

Check this out, same site.

10 Kms from the closest point to land, not very far in reality, they'll still be visible.

Still don't think we can eliminate fossil fuels with Wind and even wind and solar PV combined, every bit helps of course and offering a viable FIT for consumers could speed up the installation of domestic installations.

As far as I know FIT rates were supposed to be out by now, disappointing that there's still nothing on them

No really, it makes perfect sense, our contribution to Co2 as a small island nation is minuscule, forget about the continent, we have no control over what's emitted there.

i'm much more concerned about actual pollution and being told I shouldn't eat meat or sit my arse on leather seats. I don't like being told what I should do by others. The Government want us retrofitting heat pumps that cost a fortune and then spend a fortune on insulation because they want to tax the crap out of liquid fuels and tell us it's the only to reduce emissions is through taxation. Give people a cheap alternative.

I'm not going to spend the guts of 40K to replace my oil boiler and insulate, sometime we'll probably do some renovations and include some of this but I'd rather put in a wood burning stove or pellet stove, who's going to fix my heat pump if it breaks in 10 years and what will it cost to fill ?

The Government would rather make People take out loans at 12% to pay for this extortionate technology but I won't do it, I'll keep burring oil until I can't then I'll switch to Wood,Coal, Chop down local trees etc.

• Advertisement

No, sure priority for a long time now is just letting health care "professionals" run/ruin the Country! Great excuse for the Government for sitting on their asses talking complete BS and lying through their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

You don't need to go all out for the energy efficiency: Keep the existing heating and replace when needed with something else. In the meantime add the recommended 300 mm of insulation in the attic is a good start and costs about 100 yoyo per 10 m2 so for a small semi-d like ours the price DIY is about 500 quid. I also already insulated the bedrooms' out facing walls with 50mm insulated plasterboard and I think again the total cost was about 500 plus a few evenings and weekends of work. The payback for this is a couple of years not to mention resulting in way more comfortable living conditions.

I still fully disagree with that 0.11% notion as outlined in my previous message due to Ireland being one of the worst offenders per capita. If you don't care as an individual why should any other person/town/city/coutry/continent care? As outlined above it's really easy to make a difference in energy usage of houses and the more people do it easier it gets for Ireland in this case meeting the targets. And you actually benefit from the improvements yourself. However, I do agree with you about the generic pollution: Some folk for example burn whatever they can get hold to in open fireplaces and the resulting acrid smoke is slowly killing us all in populated areas. Combine that with hovel like insulation in their houses and the problem is worse again.

I don't care simply because I don't believe that We're responsible for changing the climate, it's been changing for millions of years, billions if you like. I don't trust the UN or their IPCC either as they were shown to be liars and don't even believe their own nonsense and have been pontificating doom and gloom making end of the world predictions for decades.

I do care however about actual pollution and we need to reduce however it shouldn't come at the expense to the ordinary person by having to pay extortionate amounts for heat pumps and retrofits or drivers having to pay thousands a year in Diesel or Petrol just to get to work or forcing families to turn off the heat and sit in coats which is what Our Government are doing while People struggle to pay extortionate rents and prices for houses. It's just wrong. Make the companies pay!!!

How many industrial buildings were built in the last 10-20 years with 0 insulation ? places like harvey norman, Currys, Halfords etc etc those types of buildings, there's a lot of them no insulation and workers have to freeze in winter and roast in Summer due to inadequate insulation or Air conditioning.

This Government is hell bent on breaking the working man financially while Big Corp runs to the bank laughing!

Mad_Lad, here's some good viewing for you ;-) All the major science fudges since the tobacco myth in 50's are mentioned I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Ah lads anyone that seriously believes that the electric companies won't absolutely gouge us once they basically have people by the balls for vehicle charging, heating your home and everything else is as naive as you can get. Don't forget the future government levies on it to make back all that sweet sweet tax they'll lose of fuel from the pumps and heating oil, coal and gas

• Advertisement

Yes. It's the same as always i.e. you reduce the usage and utilities and governments increase prices to keep the revenue and tax take level. As long as you keep sligtly ahead of the masses you can often stop your bills going up. What's the alternative: Keep wasting energy and pay ever higher and higher bills each passing year as the environmental taxes keep creeping up.

I'm not against 5G I think it's hilarious, I know something about radio having an amateur radio license.

What's even more funny is that a lot of People don't know that 5G uses similar frequencies to 4G, so what's the problem ? around 4.5 Ghz, Cars with adaptive cruise use around 70Ghz zapping everyone every day as they sit in the car in front lol though mostly the car will absorb it. Wonder what they think about Airport scanners ? lol

Video I not bothered watching. thanks.

Lol, anyone think fossil fuels are going anywhere in the next 20-30 years are living in la la land!

I'm enjoying being off petrol and diesel since 2015 though. With the new car I have driven almost 4000 Kms and it's cost me less than 10 Euros with work charging. So enjoying it as long as I can.

I'd be more interested in seeing spending reduced especially on nonsense stuff like 1.5 million on a climate awareness campaign for starters...... that money much better spent on other things. This country is bleeding money not to mention we're still paying the bank bail out, I know I would just stop this and not pay another cent to the scum bags.

The doc also mentions at least following: Tobacco, neonicotinoides, climate change where powerful businesses decided to actively muddy the waters with manufactured and/or cherry picked science and just created a massive wall of noise to drown the voice of the solid science. Basically whataboutism and actually made up science projects and research to drown the solid science.

It's a good watch I think.

Data is cherry picked on both sides, data altered when there is no data, thermometers removed, Worlds hottest record in Africa Removed by the WMO making death valley the hottest etc, trust no one, least of all the UN.

People will always believe what they hear daily, several times daily and that's just that. Same narrative and the UN say "you can't question the IPCC and anyone who disagrees with them are ridiculed and made to look fools.

Most of what we hear about today is just lies and the scary thing is that CGI is getting so good now that in the not so distant future we shouldn't believe the video footage we see either!

Governments lie, media lie etc etc. Media is owned by larger and larger companies. Half of Irelands media are owned by foreign companies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's the difference between the US and almost everyone else.

European tractor makers know a thing or two about engines. Lamborghini and David Brown made fancy cars.

JCB tried too. Their diesel car got 11 mpg which sounds American until you find out it was setting a diesel world speed record of 350.092 mph (563.418 km/h) at the time.

BTW rooftop solar panels installed on farms and other businesses could generate up to three gigawatts of electricity. Then you can go after parts of reservoirs and lakes. Based on this solar farm in Kinsale you could in theory get 1.75GW from the 5,000 acre Blessington Lakes. Lough Neagh is nearly 20 times bigger so plenty of scope if you avoid the bits that are used for recreation and commerce.

Energy to fuel is a thing. But not at all cost competitive yet.

Bad apples are everywhery Mad_Lad, but I believe that most of the rotten to the core ones are with the fossil fuel backed up science projects where science is used against science on purpose to twist the truth. Noticeably more climate scientists believe in human centric climate change than not. The sad fact is that the Koch bros etc. have plenty of money to burn on FUD, at the moment anyway, while they have so much to loose if and when the truth comes out. Like what happened with the tobacco industry in 90's after 40 years of doing everything to stop the facts. "Research" like "How does the weekday of your birthday affect the probability of respiratory problems".

You just have to pick up a side, I guess, and looks like ours are the opposite ends of the field in this topic. Well you also daily drive a dieselgate car in disguise after jump from a petrol BMW 🤤 . No, that's the pot calling kettle black as I actually own a petrol BMW as a second vehicle. And it doesn't even have a cat.

You see, there's still the problem of solar PV in large scale being extremely unsightly, I have seen some big solar PV farms in Germany, once green fields now turned completely black, it's not nice!

On rooftops sure no problem and Musks solar PV now looks like normal roof tiles.

Ireland is one major industrial land, mostly farming and they need to turn some of this into proper hardwood forest, out deforestation is nothing short of scandalous. But we really don't want to turn it in to black land from solar PV, need to be careful and not make it more industrial looking. I've seen some wind farms in the west and it looks absolutely awful so there needs to be a big drive to get this stiff out far as possible out in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

yes remember during the summer when John Charles McQuaid or sorry Tony Holohan saw the young people partying on South William st within an hour the garda riot squad were clearing the street. The health care professionals have replaced the bishops now

A lot of stuff wouldn't be happening today if the Church still had some influence.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

I think the backlash is coming though against all this "green transition" stuff , people just won't accept the price rises and inflation associated with it. The powers that be made a big mistake by going with the over pessimistic prognosis and signing up these draconian cutbacks in CO2. Its simply not going to happen anyway, just because a politician says something or makes a new law does not make it a reality . Most politicians and media heads are not technologists and don't understand energy, they cannot legislate for energy it doesn't work like that

Well the Hauliers, farmers etc were out today and it all fell on deaf ears, I hear the Dail today when Mary Lou challenge Michael Martin and the brazenness of his reply "can't reduce Carbon tax because we have to save the earth" "cant' reduce the VAT because the E.U won't allow it" so they use Climate change when it suits them to protect this lucrative revenue collection and what good are they if they can't do anything for the people except inject them ? lol, They're insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What he said was he can't make anything zero percent vat conveniently forgetting he could drop it to 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

What are you suggesting they drop VAT on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

My God there is some serious conspiracy theory stuff on this thread, kind of shocked at some of the comments by regular users tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sinn Fein were proposing the government drop the Vat rate on energy bills.

I'm not sure if reducing the amount of tax receipts is the smartest thing to do in an era of unprecedented spending

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Said it before and will say it again: all motorised transport has carbon costs built in. Both in manufacturing and source/ production of fuels.

Which raises the question that we need carbon taxes on EVs.

They are coming

Current proposals vary between

1. Tax by distance travelled

2. Tax by weight

In addition

1. Congestion charges (Dublin & Cork)

2. Workplace parking levy (Trail coming for Galway)

3. Emission controlled zones. Note this also includes particulate matter released by tires and brakes so will apply to a lesser extent to EV's also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All new EU (and UK) cars will have mandatory GPS so congestion charging , road usage charging weighted for busier times will be trivial to implement since Germany has been using GPS charging for trucks for a while now. On-board unit Toll Collect - on-board unit (GPS + GSM) with Toll Collect account

Advertisement