Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cazoo Champion of Champions 2021

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There's a great video, probably somewhere on you tube, of John Parrott interviewing Judd Trump and Michael White at the crucible. Both were about 9 or 10 years old and prodigious talents. White was world amateur champion at 14 and some would say arguably the brighter talent of the pair. Not the way it worked out, of course, and a reminder for every talent that makes it, more will fall by the wayside. Jamie Cope was another, sadly retired in his mid 30s, and who can forget all the ridiculous hype about Zhao Xintong 6-7 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think it's pretty obvious from the multitude of hype stories that potting ability at 10-12 years of age is a pretty poor indicator of how far a player will go in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ive always said I believe players got a better grounding in the 80s and 90s, the system made them better, harder matchplayers. And I think the likes of Ken and other pros would back me up on that.

Then again, you see all these academies growing now and the support available to all the young players so you'd think this should make a difference. But most of the best kids I see coming out of the juniors can pot all day long, just tend to struggle with the more prosaic elements of the game. And i would have to include young Aaron Hill in that bracket. Just seems like a longer and steeper learning curve these days, for whatever reason.

Advertisement