Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools to close again.. Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭combat14

you can always bring them to work with you if there no baby sitters available - great to think outside the box 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I think you will find tomorrow that teachers will do their jobs like everyone else in the economy. No one is threatening otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Good man Timmy boy! If only there were people like you in the teaching profession we’d have no problems at all!

Post edited by Newbie20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

You go Mister Magoo! You make Ireland great again. And we will all have respect for ourselves. Cos you said so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

Here's the petition to call in the experts

https://chng.it/PVkkVwr48p

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Happy to be in school this morning but do wonder how something better couldn't have been put in place to serve the majority. Sitting here supervising a 6th Year Chemistry class for an isolating teacher. 40% of this class are out (30% of the school). The teacher is out. I'm not qualified in Chemistry so they have been sent a past mock paper to work through. A couple of the goods ones working away, a good few of them haven't a clue so its a waste of a class for them... The teacher is idle at home. Not for a minute advocating that I shouldn't be here today, delighted to be and will be teaching those that are in all day...but who is teaching the ones not in? What I am getting to I guess is why have the inspectors not been put to better use the last 2 years to create a suite of revision materials for kids at home. Why are they not facilitating live zoom lessons for those at home for the next two weeks....similar to what grinds schools offer at Christmas or Easter?? They will be the real beneficiaries of the next month of school...

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Why are the teachers isolating at home not doing any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

There’s approximately 33% of teachers absent in our place, including myself.

Im putting up work for them on a daily basis, however, I was told I didn’t have to as I’m a confirmed case so technically sick? Is this the case?

As I said, I’ve work set out for them already, I’m just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

It's a valid question. I'm sure some are. Some others will see it as a free pass. Some students will see it as a free pass. Some schools will be way better organised than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

About 40% of our students are absent, about 33% of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Currently have 22 staff out and about 35-40% of all students. Classes are mostly empty except first years. Nearly all of them are in. Carrying on with course content and uploading work done to Teams for those isolating or Covid positive.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I take it you work under a bridge? With plenty of time to post cheap shots on boards. Living the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

We're definitely in "it is what it is" and "we are where we are" territory. Sending in mock papers and uploading this or that on teams and Google classroom is grand but let's be honest it's largely performative. What exactly are the learning intentions of handing a student a past paper on their first day back? The teacher has no choice since they can't be physically there but it really serves only the optics. Very little gain in it for a student.

We were told recently ad nauseum that non face to face teaching was no use, now suddenly uploading or sending in class material is the measure of how enthusiastic and hard-working teachers are. While you'll always have the vociferous teacher who'll have gotten through half the course in these two vital days in front of a nearly full class, in reality many have a handful of students in front of them and others at home with no live class. The worst of both worlds.

With a toxic work atmosphere like that it's no wonder you're angry.

Why do teachers always respond aggressively to posts such as this. Maybe there are more teachers absent today that people in 'non-teacher' jobs (there are a few dodgy teacher absences in our place today to be honest). It's very Donald Trump (attack, attack, attack and ignore the facts), and does us no credit as a profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I see you're hard at work anyway.

Before you say it, don't, I'm happily retired!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My lad is in 6th year and not due back in until tmrw. We are putting that off until Monday, not due to worry regarding Covid or teacher availability rather, that going back in on a Friday is futile.

The senior cycle students over the 20 and 21 exam cycles have been massively impacted by Covid IMO. This year's cohort will have had 2 and a half years of Covid impact on their shoulders. The culmination of every lockdown and restriction, rumour and worry are theirs. Yet now the talk is of Orals being carried out over the Easter holidays?

I don't know how the examiners feel about that? But surely the students and their parents are at the very least allowed to use the agree standard holidays and term breaks as the window for family breaks?

Now the rumour amongst the 6th year cohort in my son's school is that they might be impinged on by part of the LC.

"Not sure where to start"?

You shouldn't have bothered starting. Couldn't care less about the voice from under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hontou

I am a teacher isolating. Have uploaded all I was planning to do in class onto Teams with clear instructions for students. I have permission (which I sought) to teach online for some classes too. It creates a huge back log of work for me and the students if they cannot progress with their coursework while I'm out and there is no experienced sub for me. I wish I had the go ahead to teach all my classes online while at home and when back in class I would like students who are isolating to be able to access my classes online. The problem however, is that this system will only suit dedicated, engaging students with good WIFI.

• Advertisement

These are perfectly valid questions. But TBH, I'm not surprised that you are unable to back up your own nonsense.

BTW, did you figure out how to block me? Delighted that you didn't and are still reading my posts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think this thread should be wrapped up. Norma can't meet the unions face to face but teachers can go back to class?

In my view next week will largely be pointless education wise. Sure you will get the odd ego maniac who will say they taught everyone. Depends on school. But the vast majority of teachers will have half empty classes or the students will have no teacher.

We then have the rent seeking experts (largely paid by the department of education) supporting the return while they work in their home offices. The special tool/raconteurs etc

All declaring "will anybody think of the children"

For decades we underfunded education. Psychological services for kids are practically non existent.

Yes some services have improved but we are still way behind the EU.

So excuse me if i don't take all these experts that seriously or the public at large that seriously. Consistently voting for parties that don't put enough into these services. 35 % of the public consistently don't even vote.

Well done!! Great to see some teachers doing this. Unfortunately, only a few in our place doing that.

They were responding to a blatant troll, did you take him seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I’m not a teacher. I don’t see any aggression in my post.

What’s a ‘dodgy’ absence? More fantasy I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

No offence teachinggal you take this thread way too seriously. And its not your job to uphold the profession. Nor mine. Its not individual.

There are thousands of teachers. They vary greatly. Anybody teaching is used to farce. The farce of believing Irish is being revived. The farce of kids who get away with acting the maggot. Parents who are plain useless at parenting. So let's all park our tut tuts. Mine included.

Let's all get off our high horses and stop taking ourselves too seriously.

I don't represent you. You don't represent me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

High number of Covid outbreaks in school settings

Prior to Omicron taking hold.

'Persistent stress' across the health system - Reid

No doubt higher cases than recorded .

High probability no dodgy absences at all tbf.

You must teach geography or something... because you're all over the place 🤣

I was referring to the obvious troll that is @timmymagoo

Everybody takes @rainbowtrout seriously. No messin in her class 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've noticed a few posters wondering where the IGNORE Option was gone.......

1.Click on your Avator Pic

2. Click on your Avatar Pic again.....

And 3. Click on the 'Person' and Select Ignore List and Add The Poster in Question.

I presume if someone Quotes said poster, you will still see it, so might be something to consider when you are Quoting who you believe is a Clear Troll for example.

Might be of interest to a few who do not know how to do it on the new site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Advertisement