Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rugby/the Irish rugby team so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The amount of cranks on this thread is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That’s a bit pedantic tho, as teams from only around 10 or 11 countries actually qualify for the tournament proper! Using the same logic, would the Champions Cup be better if the size of the tournament was doubled? I seriously doubt it! More teams being eligible doesn’t make it more competitive.

Since the first HCup final in ‘96 there have been 12 different winners, but only 11 Champions League winners in that same timeframe!! The business end of both competitions is the best v the best! It doesn’t matter that the pool of countries is smaller for one, it’s still mighty competitive! And I love both tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Never played rugby, hell don't think if even held a rugby ball, but as entertainment for me rugby is the best sport. For those with only a passing interest in sport its great, most of the games are on over the autumn and winter with a nice annual international competition that doesn't out stay its welcome. I never get into GAA conversations as that is taken far too seriously for me and the season is far too long for my short attention span and soccer is a bit meh outside of the Euros and WC.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

And the range of cranky issues, sectarianism in Scotland, reverse snobbery, actually snobbery, Irishness, elitism, my sport is better than yours, just don't like the look of them, and that's just for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Interesting, I have tried to get into watching Rugby properly not just the big 'event' games. It has never clicked for me. I always assumed it was because you have to have played it to appreciate it's technicalities. And a lot of times for me it seems to be very 'stop start' and can get bogged down. I suppose everyone can't have an interest in everything when it comes down to it. But you turn my logic on the head and find great entertainment in Rugby. I do appreciate the amount of physical effort the players have to put in to play the sport. Plus everything around Rugby seems to be run spot on. Even getting tickets the IRFU was miles ahead of the GAA (for example) in its level of organisation for ages.

The line about 'GAA conversations' made me laugh. I have nearly had rows with my father discussing games.

Haha quiet, you'll rile them lads up!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

The real question is why can’t Irish soccer fans support their local teams as well as GAA and rugby fans do and see what could be achieved

im a soccer fan myself, and have an interest in an English team but go to as many games to my local club as possible. It’s embarrassing the state of the game here and the money spent by Irish people on English clubs match tickets , supporters clubs and merchandise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agree with that. Soccer *IN* Ireland is just not supported by the people in the way GAA is and to a lesser extent, provincial Rugby.

Soccer is almost like two islands within a sport. Yes hundreds of thousands play it every week, from the kids on the local green to the Astro after work and the fantastic amateur leagues and schoolkids divisions, but nobody goes home and dreams of Athlone Town or Drogheda United, its all about Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Juventus.

I've been a provincial Rugby season ticket holder for 18 straight seasons. Why? Because the product is good. In the early days, success wasn't there, wasn't guaranteed, we were losing to lesser known French towns to Welsh regions and English giants. But the success came because 15,000 people signed up for those tickets, that brought sponsors and broadcasters and increased profile and funding for marquee foreign players and the foundation of excellent academies. That all came from attractive packaging. From aspiration and ambition. And yesterday, a team built in the Irish provinces, 90% born in Irish communities, destroyed the Century long global force in Rugby.

The chance is there for the FAI to revolutionise the League of Ireland in the same fashion, to do the marketing, to attract more bums on seats, to make local football an aspiration. Its already there with the Shamrock Rovers operation. If Ireland had 10 clubs with that level of professionalism, it would the foundation of a brilliant product in this Country and after that, the sky is the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

It’s a self fulfilling prophecy in Irish football , people say the league is not a good enough standard and the grounds aren’t good enough so don’t go to the games . Which means there’s no money and players aren’t given proper coaching academies , contracts , facilities.

it’s a chicken and egg thing , it will never be any better if the thousands and thousands of Irish soccer fans don’t invest in it , time and money wise . If people are waiting for champions league and a league full of international players before they can be bothered then it will never happen .

it just proves what people are saying , most Irish fans aren’t actually real fans , they support English sides because of the success and big show aspect of it when so are every bit as much glory hunting , bandwagoners as the casual rugby fan

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Stanley 1

Trevor Brennan from Barnhall RFC would be a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's it right there in a nutshell folks.

The depth of rugby support in this country is about as deep as a flat screen TV.

A lot of LoI ‘real football fans’ are a pain in the hole with their smug superiority. That keeps people away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

So pedantic of me to question that a competition call itself a European Cup with 49 of 55 countries not taking part!

How many counties are represented in this seasons champions league proper? It ain’t 55 and we both know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

All 55 enter the tournament because it's the European Cup. Do you prefer tournaments that exclude 'crap' teams?

Heineken Cup is a great competition but is not widely known in the vast majority of the continent.

So a 32 team tournament has teams representing 55 countries? Is that your statement?

Or would it be more accurate to say teams from 55 countries are eligible to qualify? I think it’s the latter isn’t it

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Stanley 1

FAI have little interest in LoI football, no monies to be made, they have allowed a madman dictator run in for the last 16 years, he has landed them in debt approx 65m, enriched himself, sponsors have headed for the hills and the possibility of criminal charges loom large.

FAI only interested in the intl side and how individuals can gain for themselves in status terms and financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

The Irish provincial sides have had great success over the past number of years.

The national side has proven relatively successful over the past number of years.

The academies provide young Irish sports people with an opportunity to play professional sport.

There are fifty club teams playing senior rugby on the island of Ireland.

Many clubs are making every effort to involve their local communities.

The clubs provide good facilities for use by members, players and the community.

Attending club, provincial and international games provides for a good day out.

The atmosphere at most games is competitive but friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭yaknowski

Fair enough but I'd hazard that those cases are the exceptions rather than the rule. I worked with Joe Brady, who got a couple of caps in the 70s and Mark Ryan, James Ryan's father in Accenture at the turn of the century. I'd say James Ryan's route to being a professional rugby is more indicative of the route rugby players take.

Now in fairness the rugby lads are excellent athletes and excellent at their craft. I still hold to my belief that it's the tea-station chat in the corporate environment that has driven the wider uptake in support for it as a sport.

Post edited by yaknowski on

Lol. If you’re a soccer ball fan the only time you would see your club “team” ( from a different country) is once a year when you scrounge enough winnings from the gambling to watch Liverpool or United in the Carabao Cup.

• Advertisement

Totally missed my point.

The people who follow Liverpool and United, or any soccer team have had more exposure than just watching soccer on TV.

Many would have played as kids in their front gardens or fields or the greens of their housing estates.

Many would have had the chance to play in primary school and secondary school.

Many would play some sort of soccer during break at school.

Many would have played with their local club.

Many would play 5 a side under lights on their local astro, or indoors in the local community center.

Rugby has none of that.

Kids do not play rugby in the front gardens, fields or green areas of housing estates.

Very few get to play at secondary school, never mind primary.

None play rugby during break at school.

Very few play with clubs

And there is no such thing as 5 aside, with the exception of tag, which seems to have wained since it's high point about a decade ago, actually it was waining pre COVID.

So as I said the depth of rugby exposure in this country is that of a flat screen TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They are popular because they are relatively successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

People following rugby tend to follow their local team or the national team though. Football fans in Ireland generally pick an English team with a good chance of winning trophies. They have about as much connection to the club as someone in Thailand or China has.

It is true that more people play football, but then other sports like boxing or MMA have a lot of support despite people not taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Madeoface

I grew up in a household where rugby was always a feature so it's news to me that the Ireland team may not be popular. One side of the family are CoI so maybe that's one factor but we're all far from private school educated.

The international games have always attracted day trippers and corporate goons and their wives but I'd still rather bring my kids to that or the rds / thomond than the soccer internationals. Far more unsavoury knuckle draggers in the soccer crowd.

Some confused haters posting here too. You don't have to like a game but no need to get so riled up about it, it's like getting mad at tennis or cricket. It must be an envy issue of some kind rather than a hatred of a sport surely?

I think the marketing dream / manufacture of the Munster Leinster thing has helped the game but the general public perhaps don't realise that rugby professionalism is a relatively new concept. It'll only get bigger as it's a well run association.

My concern is that where there used to be room for all body types, it may have moved towards gym bodies and too much physicality, strength and conditioning. That's why I have my kids playing gaa and soccer instead.

Your right.

Rugby is like MMA and boxing.

Most of the interest and interaction is at a distance via the media rather than any participation or local culb activity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you're never gonna fit into a scrum with that chip on your shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

In that sense it is more like MMA and boxing. It is more like GAA in the sense that people support their local teams. You don't get many people from Cavan supporting the Dublin football team.

Soccer/Football fans picking an EPL is ridiculous in my opinion. Especially the whole "We" beat "you" thing. It is the ultimate bandwagon jumping. I would love to see real fans support their local LOI side and maybe they would get a bit more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

what do you count Earls as? A very easy example of someone who is and has been prominent in Irish rugby for close to a decade

plenty more alongside him outside of Leinster too

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Remind us of how well the football team are doing in terms of tournaments....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

when its the fourth most popular sport for a population of whatever 6 mill, its pretty decent

Advertisement