Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rugby/the Irish rugby team so popular?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Maybe a reason why it's popular is because some years we could only have 2 or 3 six nations games at home. Who wouldn't like to have bragging rights against those other country's.

Big international games are an Event not to be missed.

Ireland is so small and when you think about it there really isn't that much to do here when you've seen it all already so a big event like taking on the all blacks or an England at aviva is always going to be well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Context is everything really.

120k population, no LOI club, 5(?) rugby clubs, I suppose a decent golf scene? Some water sports?

I'm not sure why you seem outraged, nothing comes within an arses roar of GAA in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The last line use to be the case. But Rugby is definitely a growing sport. My old school was not posh. But moved on from Basketball/GAA and is now producing Rugby underage internationals. Having put the ground work in the last decade or so. Also the trojan work Connacht Rugby has done in growing Rugby in Ireland can't be denied either.

Plus would you consider these lads posh? -

Mick Galwey from Currow in Kerry - won Sam with the Kerry team in 1986!

This fella Trevor Brennan used to be a Milkman and is from Leixlip!

Also an article on fee paying schools and Irish Rugby internationals - is not as cut and dried as you might think.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't be coming on here ruining the drama with your "facts" 😉

On a serious note tho? The notion of fee-paying schools pervasive grip on rugby and the elitism of rugby is very much a hangover of the Leinster/Ulster centric days of fee paying, "West Brit" connotations that some ascribe to rugby and its a label I never encountered in Limerick, and rarely see in truth in Rugby outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭B2021M

Were you referring to me in the last paragraph? Pointing out facts about the historic performance of the rugby team in the world cup does not make someone childish, divisive, bitter or jealous. Especially when I was responding to other statements.

• Advertisement

Exactly it is normally GAA diehards or Soccer diehards (from Dublin) that have the massive grudge against Rugby. They go out of their way NOT to enjoy it. And make it class issue. The reality is there is a massive overlap with Rugby other sports the GAA in particular.

From the above -

Shane Horgan - Meath Minor footballer

Tomás O'Leary - Cork Minor Hurler

Tadgh Furlong - Wexford Minor Footballer

Rob Kearney - Louth Minor Footballer

--

I was speaking generally not pointing the finger at you in particular. If anything it was more of a comment on my own mindset as a young fella. I probably would have created threads like this if it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

So, the Champions League/European Cup started with less clubs and grew. Are you saying it wasn't the Champions League/European Cup then? Baffling comments. Quantity does not mean quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989%E2%80%9390_European_Cup

I doubt anyone gives a s***e what sport you follow. Why would they?

The only time I seen people give a sh**e about sport is in primary school.

People support rugby, the same as people support all types of sport they think is the "be all and end all". yet they don't have thread every time an Ireland win happens with a load of people complaining about it.

P.S. it ain\t 4 posh school, but that is the perception of a lot of people and they hate rugby based on that alone.

• Advertisement

What is baffling? 55 countries have clubs in the Champions League. Is it 6 in the Heineken Cup?

I still struggle to see why. The hatred is in one direction. Rugby fans couldn't give a s***e about soccer, in fact you will find most watch soccer as well, also GAA etc

55 countries and which countries are in the Qtr/Semi each year :-)

They have a load of rubbish teams in a drawn out competition to make more money.

Who is winning the competition? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_finals

Just because they fill up the competition full of shi**e team doesn't make a difference, they end up with the same clubs from the same countries in the last few rounds. Again quantity is not quality.

P.S. it baffling you cannot understand a European Competition in Rugby is the same as having a European compeition in soccer. Just a different sport. Jumping around about ti doesnt change it

Didn't the European Soccer team try to create a Super League recently to cut out having to play all the cr*p teams all the time? that was the plan till it was stopped :-)

Let's leave it ok? If you are happy to be European champion after playing teams from 5 other countries that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Finalist's of the Champions League since 1992 by country

Holland, Spain, Germany, England, France, Portugal & Italy...

Kinda rubbishes your point

Which team do you support in the Champions League by the way? Bohs? Shels? Cork City?

Seeing as you are so passionate about the tournament and been Irish.

Everyone in rugby is more than happy. You don't see rugby fans starting these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was just thinking that, but it does open the way up for a minnow to sneak into the big pool and have a go. Look at Sheriff Tripasol this year. Ajax neatly made it to the final a few years ago and could have won it.

That said, popularity does play a factor, if only for the variety of facing different teams once in a while.

For me, the main reason for the popuarity of rugby is that fact that we actually win. The fact that there's not as big a pool makes no difference. How popular was MMA before Conor McGregor started winning a few fights?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No it doesn't, its the same countries which are providing the winners.

In the last 20 years we have had winners from

England

Germany

Spain

Italy

Portugal(which was a pure fluke by the way)

Plus in the next 20 years the winners wil be from: England, Germany, Spain.

So much for the great soccer competition with 55 countries involved :-)

What?! I never said I was passionate about it. I pointed out it is a European tournament that includes all countries in Europe, not 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I grew up in the 70s in south county Dublin, and I've worked all my life in an industry that traditionally has always had a strong rugby supporting base. I get the same reaction when I say I don't like rugby, so I get where you're coming from. Apart from simply not enjoying the sport as a spectacle, much of my dislike stems from the old style "rugger buggers" that used to look down on us plebs who preferred soccer when I was a kid. However I will say that more recently rugby has done a lot to become more egalitarian and has developed less elite player and fan bases nationwide, rather than solely in Limerick, so fair play to them for that. Now if they could just do something about that Ireland's Call rubbish I might just dislike the sport a tiny bit less. :D

And we already know 6 or 7 of the rugby world cup quarter finalists for the next 50 years

Yes, but I don't see thread from soccer fans hating McGregor :-)

The problem with all of this is nothing to do with rugby, this is the problem people have:  cannot comprehend that not everyone is interested in a sport where most of the players come from 4 posh schools.

It\'s a sterotype and people cannot get past that to check if its true or not. If thats the case so be it, quit complaining about the sport then if you have no interest in it would be my answer to them. The lack of knowledge about rugby is entertaining

I think it comes down to it that because most of the 'Rugby set' are educated - do well in life etc. They end up in positions of power and influence in Irish society. Eamon De Valera and Dick Spring etc. If you contrast it to the people that really hate rugby (normally working class Dublin people into soccer and see Rugby as a different world) it makes them resentful. I remember an auld fella from Dublin steeped in boxing heritage. I was going on about the 1970's Dublin GAA football team. He quickly said they were not real Dubs. Because they were all Doctors and Solicitors! 😀

I know it is not Rugby - but I was only after reading an article where Damien Duff (ironically middle class) criticised LOI facilities compared to the GAA.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/american-football/league-of-ireland-facilities-horrific-when-you-compare-it-to-gaa-new-shels-boss-damien-duff/ar-AAQiwih

If a working class soccer urban fella looks at soccer in Ireland. The 'joke' facilities as Duff calls them. And compares them to the GAA and Rugby. It must make them feel very small and insignificant. When you add in the fact that many Rugby players and those involved in it are highly successful outside the world of Rugby. The resentment only grows. Whereas what such people should be doing is asking why people involved in Rugby have been so successful? It comes down to education and drive to succeed. Some just aspire to that but never have the drive to try. It is much easier to take pot shots and say they are all 'posh boys' etc.

It is why those with no/limited education turn to crime. Much easier to take something nice someone else has rather than work towards your own individual improvement. The anti-Rugby thing is a microcosm of that mindset IMO.

Never commented on schools, wrong poster.

Anyway, I think the "your sport v my sport" angle is blocking you here. You can like both soccer AND rugby or rugby AND GAA, you know?

I wasn't saying you said that, I was just giving you the reason why people hate rugby. It has nothing to do with the sport, it just based on the sterotype.

I like all of the above and will sit and watch them, including tennis, gymnastic etc etc. I have friends who have no interest in rugby but GAA, good on them....personally my kids player all sports possible, soccer, GAA, rugby, swimming, gymnastics, horse riding etc. They drop out of one and pick up another.....Im sure at some stage they will pick the sport they love and continue to play that. I won't be sittting telling them they cant play rugby because they dont go to a provate school

The kids soccer game got cancelled at the weekend because of the abuse parents give refs, yet we are on here with people telling us how great soccer is 🤣

Sounds like you have the same bee in your bonnet about soccer that you think other people have about fee-paying schools sports.

Anyway, I'm out of here. I made my point: people follow sports that Irish people are successful at and we're reasonably successful at rugby. Soccer is just universal, like it or hate it.

I haven’t played a game of rugby in my life, nor watched a game live. I have 0 posh friends I know one south sider in my circle of friends and he lives in the northside

i have however watched every single Irish game in the 6 nations, with the exception of time I spent in the US. It’s the thing to do in winter and early spring. I watch serious autumn games (like yesterday but not last week) and the World Cup. Rugby is popular

the viewing figures prove this by the way

Here’s the list of watched sports games in 2020. From the cork examiner (https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40205045.html)

• 1. All-Ireland SFC final: Dublin v Mayo (RTÉ 2) – 876.6k viewers 
    • 2. Six Nations: France v Ireland (Virgin Media One) – 850.3k
    • 3. All-Ireland SHC final: Limerick v Waterford (RTÉ 2) – 712.9k 
    • 4. Six Nations: Ireland v Scotland (Virgin Media One) – 635.8k 
    • 5. Six Nations: England v Ireland (Virgin Media One) – 634.4k 
    • 6. Six Nations: Ireland v Wales (Virgin Media One) – 605.2k 
    • 7. Euro 2020 playoff semi-final: Slovakia v Ireland (RTÉ 2) – 570.4k 
    • 8. Six Nations: Ireland v Italy (Virgin Media One) – 540.6k 
    • 9. All-Ireland SHC semi-final: Limerick v Galway (RTÉ 2) – 534k 
    • 10. All-Ireland SFC semi-final: Mayo v Tipperary (RTÉ 2) – 533.2k 
    • 11. Autumn Nations Cup: Ireland v Wales (RTÉ 2) – 510.3k 
    • 12. All-Ireland SFC semi-final: Dublin v Cavan (RTÉ 2) – 505.3k 
    • 13. Autumn Nations Cup: England v Ireland (RTÉ One) – 510.3k 
    • 14. The Boys In Green (March 16th) – 479k

So the all Ireland senior football final beats the 6 nations ireland-France game to the top spot, but only just by 26k viewers. That 6N game handily beats the senior hurling final to third by 138k viewers.

The rest of the top 6 is all the six nations rugby, until in 7th place a very important soccer playoff manages to push the dead letter Ireland Italy rugby game to 8th. That’s it for soccer until the 14th place, which isn’t even a game. The rest is GAA or rugby.

rugby is a popular sport to watch on TV.

The six nations isn’t a new bandwagon either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is why those with no/limited education turn to crime soccer

Fixed that oul' typo for ya 😉

Advertisement