Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica redress levy - Nope, Nope and Nope

Options
  • 11-11-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

I'm not paying anymore levy's they can go stick it up their hole.

TD's earn millions , have cash falling out their ass but now I maybe paying?

Fuck off, No discussion no "what do I think" it's just no.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mica-redress-levy-5598282-Nov2021/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Who else did you think was going to fund it? Realistically I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Doesn't Apple still owe us a few squid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Title updated to indicate what the thread is actually about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What are you going to do about it?

they cant levy the construction industry because that would make unaffordable homes more unaffordable.

They wont tax vulture funds.

Its going to fall on the majority to pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is why I was against it in the first place. If I'm not mistaken, the company who did this are still trading, yet they want me, a person who lives on the literal other end of the country, to pay for it. Oversight me hole, never a problem until someone is affected by it.

But as they're saying above, can't do anything about it. We don't have a say in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah but the AVERAGE house size affected in Donegal is 2400 square feet ( apparently ) , that's a lot of sq feet to rebuild -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Now bear with me here because this may seem like a radical idea but how about the homeowners?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Why should I have to pay for people who built their homes with defective blocks? It's sad and all but caveat emptor and all that. This has nothing to do with the state, or my family for that matter.

Everyone is a victim these days, and so are the the poor homeowners. It’s just the fashionable badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm wholly against a levy on any of this. No chance nope I've enough bloody bills and Levy's.

• Advertisement

I never said you should have to pay for it. I just asked if anyone expected a different outcome. I don’t want to pay for it either, but complaining on boards won’t make a difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I mean realistically where did people think the money would come from ultimately?

I feel for the homeowners but I think the Government response should be measured - a suggested cap of €400K seems fairly high considering most of those homes would be in fairly rural areas.

I understand they might have lost more than that in many cases, but if its all at the taxpayers expense, the response should be focused on providing what's essential to each affected family rather than replacing what was lost.

EG if you lost a spacious 4-bedroom home with large square footage, the cost to cover a bog-standard 4-bedroom home would be sufficient.

The projected cost is not exactly pocket change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What do people want instead? 5000 homeowners on the housing list, where we will have to pay to house them anyway?

Not very enthused about having to pay for it, but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People, on boards, don’t want these people getting anything they aren’t getting themselves.

And if they must get something they aren’t to get an inch more than they had at the start. The “footprint” of the rebuild will have to be measured, and checked, to ensure it’s exactly the same. If that’s not good enough for them let them rot in the fields.

Another example of the crab mentality on here.

The tide is turning…

No, I just don't think the government should be responsible for a private companies shoddy tactics on saving money which resulted in this. If it was such a big problem, why is it only this developers buildings that are affected? Because they went with the cheapest option for them. So it should be on them and them alone. You can quote regulations and lack of oversight, but they seem to be the only company (that I'm aware of) who used these blocks. They even quote that it used standard mix design, but are still the only ones who had this problem.... If it was widespread around the country with multiple manufacturers and developers involved, I'd be a bit more understanding. But one company? Maybe I'm thick, but everything is pointing back to that one company.

Open to correction on this. I don't like reading about it because it only angers me that I'm going to have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they are going to give the mica home owners redress because of bad regulation why are they ignoring the thousands of other home owners who have had to rectify their property because of lack of enforcement of regulations, Priory Hall was the tip of the iceberg and people who have had to spend thousands fixing their property won't be happy that a select group will be getting theirs fixed for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

5000 folks on the housing list for bog standard social housing would have a significantly different cost than covering all sorts of sizes of houses from anything to small for 5000 folks.

100 redress was a cod from start to finish. It's la la land stuff altogether.

Exactly. Even the crowd who looked into this said it was unreasonable for the government/bodies to have been able to predict/test for this. So they're saying it's not the governments fault, even if better procedures and testing were in place, but yet the government is expected to cover the cost of this craic. If I've read right, there was a 1% limit on the inclusion of whatever is causing this, but tests have shown the blocks contained far more. Yet Cassidy Brothers are claiming innocence... Even going so far as to decide to not produce bricks for housing anymore...

Cassidy Bros is still in operation from its quarry at Buncrana. Its website still offers a range of prices for concrete blocks, although it is no longer, a source said last week, producing blocks for housing construction.16 Oct 2021

Do we now have to worry that office or public buildings these lads are involved in are going to start crumbling one day? Why aren't they footing the expected up to €3.2 billion bill?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah but you don’t understand how the building industry works……. A lot of legal work goes into isolating the various projects and risks into separate legal entities so that when a problem occurs the drawbridge goes up and you are left dealing with an empty shell. You need deep pockets and lots of time to get anywhere and these are two things most people don’t have.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

100% agree, we are still paying for the failure of PMPA and Quinn gambling with Anglo, why the fk should I pay for houses in Donegal? Not a hope am I paying another levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'll begrudgingly pay a levy. Mainly because I won't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

This really sticks in my side. A generation who can't even afford a home are expected to pay for a private company's mess?

Its fairly stunning that insurance/construction havent simply been told to solve this or else

That said the caps discussed are just too high and talk of 100% redress is fantasy stuff that should never have been enabled- in the media, from politicians or on various fora

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Many of the affected houses can be repaired - but they'll probably always be devalued as mica houses - doesn't seem that's good enough,

Many of the houses that do need replacing are pretty big - and the owners want like for like replacement ...

then there is the issue of fixtures and fittings ,do they get paid for by the state - ? , And where are people going to live while demolition and rebuilding Is done and who's going to pay ? Landscaping ? Driveways ?

100% redress would end up a bottomless pit ,

If the state offered modest 3 or 4 bed homes as replacement ,that'd still be a couple of hundred thousand a pop , and demolition costs on top of that ... would a bank accept a 3 bed house as collateral in exchange for a mansion - also making it unsellable ...

But many houses are either uninhabitable or becoming so ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say it is disappointing reading comments like this. If it's nothing to do with me or if I'm not benefitting then I don't want to pay is what you are saying.... But yet you don't have a problem with my taxes paying for your trams or whatever in Dublin that I don't get to use....

People's houses are literally crumbling. Do you think they chose to build with defective blocks?

We are already paying levies for the insurance industry and (I stand corrected) the bank bailouts so this is nothing new.

But I do think that the construction and insurance sectors should be contributing significantly to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Wheres all the insurance companies on this. Did the building company not have a liability insurance for this kind of structural defect. Or the quarry supplying these shoddy materials.

The government in this country are a soft roll over. Absolutely useless. Any problem just throw money at it and pass it in to the taxpayer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Soft touch regulation from the government allowed this to happen - and its not the first time.

Dublin pyrite, Donegal mica, Mayo pyrite, limerick pyrite, clare pyrite, tipp pyrite - the list keeps growing. And it will continue to grow until the sector is regulated properly. Quarrying and building materials production are a law unto themselves. Once you get the cert to say your product is NSAI certified, it will never be checked again. You can make them as shoddy as you like and nobody will know until their homes start to crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Since May 2014 (in response to pyrite) there has been building inspector system in place to catch these type of issues (doesn't help with the pre-2014), however homeowners can pay a fee and opt out of the inspection and take on the risk themselves (which it seems a lot of people have done).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nearly all Mica and Pyrite issues to date have occurred in pre-2014 builds. So you can try and victim blame all you want, its just lies from yourself.

And building inspectors do not test blockwork - if you order 10N blocks you have no idea if they are 10N or 5N unless you test them yourself. Building inspector inspects the building, not the blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I agree the insurance and block supplier should be cleaned out on this, punish them for sure, however how much are you realistically going to get out of them? If you got 200m out of them you are still about 3bn short

Advertisement