Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Boards Golf Society 2022

• 09-11-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,600 ✭✭✭✭

Boards Golf Society 2022 (Captains Intro)

So, we are off again. After a tough few year for the society and for the captains, I’d like to kick off the year by congratulating the past captains and the committee for keeping the Boards Golfers, on the road, sane, connected and looking out for each other.

I’ve been on the forum 10 years now – and I have had an incredible time, meeting people with a common interest – that you would simply not find easily in the offline world. When you meet people in this society – you suddenly know golfers who will travel, who will play winter golf, who will have information and knowledge about our wonderful game and this stunning golfing Island. They will also be with you when you have the golf days of your life. You will seriously improve as a golfer. But more importantly, you can grow and learn about people, places and the things you don’t know about.

It is a running joke in the Society, how I have never won an outing – basically, my handicap collapsed in the first few outings I signed up – and I have struggled to compete ever since. But maybe this year, I can pull one off with WHS 🙂.

I do have some targets / themes for the year.

1)    I want to acknowledge the contribution of the committee and captains. I seriously underestimated what is involved in the background – the dedication is incredible, and I want to thank them for the help so far – I will come up with something during the year to acknowledge them.

2)    I want the society to be serious about our golf, at all standards – but more importantly, to be fun, cooperative and have a relaxed welcoming atmosphere (as per the charter). There will of course be the odd debate, disagreement and fall out – but I would like to remind people, that life is short, enjoy your game – but try remember, people are volunteers on time off work / life and out to have a great day. (And I will have to abide by this myself, so pull me up if needed).

3)    I’m a silly prodigious poster – but there is concern in the society about the move away from the forum – we seriously enjoy reading about the day, the courses, the winners, the losers, the funny moments, the drive down unknown lanes, the Irish hedge rows in full growth, the beer the night before, the anticipation, the weather, the feeling of satisfaction after it all. Keep up the posting – it fundamentally is part of this society and will be this year.

4)    The forum is an anonymous space – and that provides fantastic freedom for people. But – when you start playing golf with people, we need honesty in the society. By this I mean, when you say you are going, you are going, if you can’t go, it should only be an emergency, try being organized and on time (I’m no angel) – just show respect for the organizers, the club and your playing partners.

5)    And finally, most importantly – Have fun, enjoy the day, try hang around and get to know people, be as sound as you can and try not throw the clubs around. I will be organizing a few socials – so try make them. I’m not as cranky as I come across on here (lol)

I'll now post a few more posts - with the various aspects and plans. (typical Fix - use 1000 words when you can do it in 50 😆) .

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,600 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So I'm delighted to announce the following venues - these were formed by massive help from past members , committee and a big thanks to our sponsor for the year ClubNet App.

Costing

1) Membership of society €35 -Covers ( Golfer of the year entry/prizes - Society Green Fee Fund - Prize Fund and all comp Entry (except 2s / novelty / Tiger side bets)

Post edited by slave1 on

The Costs 

To the enter the society there is a 35 euro fee. Exact outing price will be posted as we have numbers established after first outing.

This fee is for a few things. 

1) Entry to each competition, golfer of the year and the associated prizes. 

2) A reserve for the higher priced courses over the year (prices have seriously gone up) 

3) A cash flow for bookings and prizes 

Any money left over (if there is), all goes back into the society. Not one cent will be taken from the fund – I’m an honest punter. 

Non-members of the society can play if spaces are available – but the price will have to cover full cost of the day and the competition entry (as per charter). Members of the society will always have first preference on outings. 

Just a slight warning, that prices have seriously gone up – and even with our sponsor, the committee pulling favors – using local contacts and clubs – keeping the price near the 40 - 45 euro rate has been a serious challenge. Courses not even in top 1/2 of national courses are looking for 50 to 60 euro on a Saturday – and with the boom in golf – a good few are reluctant to offer a Saturday at all. The quality of courses we are offering – is only because of the effort form all involved. 

Post/during the covid years, I want our trips to be to courses of note – and worth the long drive. We have tried to pick courses accessible nationally and of mixed playability and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Congratulations and welcome to the family Fix 😁 you're stuck with us for life now!!!

Its great to see your commitment from the off, and well done on pulling together a great, balanced list of courses.

It's been a tough couple if years, but the society has battled through it all..it is great to have kept so many familiar faces engaged, and hopefully we can bring a few more faces back and welcome in some more new blood.

We've had some new members come in and get stuck in straight off the bat.

Yes, we are a bunch of weirdos off the internet, but we love our golf, and I've got great memories from all my years with the society.

Looking forward to an entertaining year from our Captain. Good luck with it Fix, not that you'll need it.

The Ideas (and fun part)

I’ve a few ideas for the year – in general the society is fantastic – but wanted to put a slight shape on a few things, a slight bit of personal spin.

For the first time we are trialing a Friday Golf and Social – this is for a social aspect and to acknowledge different work / life / and weekend commitments some members have. Thanks to Seve for organizing / helping out on this trial – I think it will be an epic evening of golf, food and a few beers for as many as possible – a B&B – guest house – or Seve’s bed could be a feature. 

I’ll be also experimenting with a fairway finder event – we (I 🙂) ) are sick of the same people winning long drive – so this will be about accuracy off the tee. There will be a long drive in most events.

There will be a few Gross Score events too – but only when I see entry list (joke).

I hope to have a teaching aspect at one of the outings – so if any pros looking in at any of the clubs – could they PM me, either way, that will be revealed later in year.

By the way – I’m not into change for change sake – and the format and concept around the annual competition will be the same. In general, the system works and people like it.

We are not sure how numbers will go yet – but there will be a cap, as very large numbers can be hard to manage with the travelling involved in this society. I’ll post on that as things become clearer in February.

We have put serious work into pace of play over the years – and I’m fully aware that people are on a relaxed day – but we will be coaching people on this , but it will not be in any uncomfortable or unpleasant way. All standards of golf, all backgrounds and personalities are a cherished and important part of our ethos and in line with the forum.

I think it will be another great year – and I’m going to give it everything I got.

So that is it guys – after a reluctance to accept the captaincy due to work commitments – I’ve really enjoyed the process and looking forward to the year. When I go for something, I go over the top and all in – so that is the plan.

I’ll leave you with a quote - As Ben Crenshaw said against all the odds in 1999.

“I’ve a good feeling about this”

Looking forward to it - catch ye in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 15,774 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks Fix for leading us into 2022. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. It's great to see some fresh ideas being brought in, so well done on going outside the box.

May I just add that if anyone has any interest at all in tagging along to men just one event, stop thinking and just do it. You won't regret it. I did it nearly 10 years ago and I've made some great friends, enjoyed some great (and some not so great) golf, some amazing courses, some hidden gems, some world beaters and gone away on amazing golf trips. 2022 will be the daddy of all golf trips.

As usual, we will use teamer for organising the events. Anyone with any interest, just drop me a quick PM and I will get you set up and we'll get the invites out to you.

From a golfing perspective, we have some great tracks in there that the society has visited before along with a few new courses. Headfort, Nenagh and Greystones all make their debut on the boards circuit, 2 will be new courses for me and one which i am overly familiar with 😀

Roll on 2022 and best of luck with your captaincy year Fix, enjoy every minute of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Break80

Congratulations and well done Fix.

There is at least 5 new courses on your list for me to hack my way around. I am looking forward to it already.

All the bad stuff of the past 2 years is behind us now so it onwards and upwards for the society.

Any lurkers on here take the plunge, you won't regret it. It's going to be a year to remember with a great character at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm one of those lurkers who has been contemplating taking that plunge!

I spoke about it a few weeks back on another thread and highlighted how I'm a new golfer and pretty terrible at it too. But as long as new, hopeless yet committed golfers are welcome then I'd love to join the society and tag along.

And considering how the very first outing happens to fall on my birthday, I'll see that as fate!

You seem a very positive person - and all are welcome.

Good bit of time to go - so plenty of time to practice , get lessons. Most of us put the hard work on the range this time of year.

If you fancy a game - I'll bring you out , give you a few tips. To be honest getting around a course is more about good walking than good golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Had hoped to get involved last year but one thing or another and I never got around to it. Plan to play a few of these at least given they're all relatively nearby to me.

Stupid question here, but how do I send you a PM Seve? Don't see the old way of doing it anywhere and when I click your name I get permissions error.

check your own inbox there and you will see a message from space

just add your own message to that thread, its private, i'll add you then and see you in Portmarnock 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Will def join this year and play as much as possible.

I play Dundrum a lot (Course near me) and it’s a slog of a course if you’re not a long hitter (especially the back 9)

Looking forward to the events

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

First off, happy retirement Break80, both you and Space had tough years.

Welcome Fix to the illustrious crew of Boards Captains. Hope you have a great year.

I’ve missed The Ryder Jug the past few years, between Covid, work and my own golf, there was feck all time for Society golf. I plan to give 2022 a good lash.

See you all at my home club in Feb.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not getting married the day off the first event this year and the wife won't be 9 months pregnant. I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Great stuff. The trips to deepest Munster didnt help me last year

Secondly, how do handicaps work after WHS started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Delighted that you're captain Fixde! Couple of years ago and I'd definitely be at every event, but am entering the busy phase of my life, had to happen at some point 🤪

I've told you before, but your thread on breaking 80 was probably the first thing I read on boards and still the most entertaining. You're a great fit for captain and almost have too much personality to be a regular forum user! 🤣

Just to echo what others have said, the society is a great way to meet some like-minded people (at least when it comes to golf) and play some great courses. It helped me to get more serious about my golf and really get the bug, so be careful 😄

Have played every course on the list apart from Dundrum; Nenagh fits the bill as a hidden gem alright, nice mature tree-lined parkland, no bombers alley anyway. Greystone I've had a couple of goes at recently and the front 9 is a cracking test of patience and strategy, only advice would be don't automatically reach for the big stick!

Headfort I've played a lot and is a really good test of golf. My wishful thinking plan would be to make Portmarnock, Headfort and Greystones 🤞

Best of luck with it Fixde and keep thinking outside the box, it's your best attribute 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭benny79

At last! A long serving member steps up to the plate and takes on the Captaincy 😁. I have to say from my own experience I loved every minute of it! and I have no doubt you will to Fix. To think just a few years ago you were out and I dragged you back in and now look at you! you are Captain (yes I am taking credit for that 😂) On a personal note. I love the boards Society, people from all walks of life spread over this beautiful Emerald Isle we even let Cork Langers in 😂 Its like a mini tour with trying to make the Jug team and the craic and long lasting friendships. Mad to to think the internet can be used for some good. A load of golf nuts! but golf I suppose is unique in that way as in you stand on the Tee most weekends playing with strangers. Reminds me of the Film fight club. This is our fight club 😁

Best of luck for the year Fix no doubt you will smash it! I really can't wait for a full year of Boards outings.

I truly hope to make more long lasting golf buddies and hopefully some old ones return!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely mix of courses, Greystones new to me, I'll be booking a half day for that one. Nenagh is probably the quietest on the list, great firm fairways but also the course where I cracked my driver head off the tee a few years back and have been playing with a loaner ever since *note to self, new driver for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks, that's very kind of you. I'll have to take you up on that offer. I need all the help I can get at the minute!

I'll be booking some lessons over the next few weeks anyway so hopefully I'll learn a thing or two that I can practice over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Really looking forward to the year ahead! Great intro Fix, would love to see you win one of these events (but we all know that's not going to happen 😃).

• Advertisement

just scanning the member list

i note a few regulars are not on teamer, not sure why. let me know if anyone needs adding back in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Savage list! Time for me to squeeze into my Boards GS tshirt! (We should really look into getting new ones?) and time to walk some fairways again with some familiar and hopefully new faces.

PS. Mods don't get cut any shots and are guaranteed a prize at every outing - is this still the way?!!

Basically the same as they normally work.

We need anyone who is a Golf Ireland member to supply their membership number.

Seve took it on this year and looked up everyones index the day before the event and calculated their PH based on the tees we were playing off.

Any society based adjustments are also applied like in the old model

yep, i'm happy to organise new tops.

who's interested? do we want to spend big and get decent tops nike or whatever, or do we want cheap and cheerful?

Maybe worth asking the question at the first outing and looking for deposits on the day?

Or adding a survey to the thread to get a ballpark?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

i'm looking to get on board for next year. Who do i need to contact to join?

Guys - thanks for all the positive feedback. Even if some of it are total lies. 😂

Lads a few question have come in - and whilst there will be visitor spots . The preference and offers to outings will be to forum members signed up.

It is in the charter that you must have a forum account.

Whilst there is no obligation to post - we are changing direction slightly and strongly encouraging this. We have found people who do not post or even read the forum - have a different understanding of the outings , at times, lack information and they can be tricky to communicate with.

Again - we don't want forum addicts - but there is an obligation on a forum based society , to stay connected, keep involved and be somewhat involved in the thread. Again - nothing mental - just good communication is very helpful.

• Advertisement

Was she 9 months pregnant on the day of the wedding - good story that.

Advertisement