Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Fitz. RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tax system is better now as its spread about a lot more. USC is very clever in that it gets the well paid to pay extra before any deductions and its a progressive tax. Those on low incomes pay little or no USC. - There's zero chance SF will abolish it (they'll probably rename it and say "usc" is gone)

Previously if you moved house, the buyer of your house paid up to 9% duty and you'd be paying up to 9% duty on the new home. An effective Circa €130,000 tax on moving house in many parts of Dublin back then. Give me €600 property tax any day.

Yes, he played hard and fast with the rules and regulations. The regulators should have had far tighter rein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

I don't really mis-remember . the politicians (and the civil servants) made the call to guarantee the whole show. they could have burnt the lot. In fact, Brian Cowan was against nationalisation . It was a private institution and not a high street (or "pillar bank" as was the lexicon of the day was) so should have burnt.

They chose that not Seanie fitz.

the same yahoos were in and out of anglo wined and dined sucking off his teat the previous few years,.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP. Your username might not be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

There were 2 episodes that you could be describing -

Firstly - there was nothing illegal about his personal borrowing and reborrowing antics - that's the system - again allowed by politicians and civil servants. You don't go to jail for legal activities no matter what the public opinion thinks

Secondly - The 7 billion was a different affair - he didn't do that. the other guy Drumm did that and was jailed accordingly.

as was Denis Casey from irish life - who really naively just followed the ministers (Brian lenihans instructions) instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

You can never kill a bad smell.

I’m getting anxiety just thinking back on those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

And some of that allegedly, as childish as it sounds, was the legacy of Charlie McCreevey running around Europe when we had a few quid and telling the Europeans to **** off, we have plenty of cash, dont need ye. They were very upset about the SSIAs and wanted it stopped. Charlie gave them the finger. Hence the vindictive payback. There was probably more to that potentially given who benefited in Europe but that allegedly was one driver of Europe putting the boot in.

Whenever anyone talks about this it should be compulsory to mention Patrick Neary. The man was very well paid to ensure what happened didn't happen, and I'm sure is still living large on a wonderful pension. In some respects, he and his deputy's are more culpable than the likes of Sean Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Don't care if I get carded or not, but that is the greatest load of horseshtye I have read in a long time.

I didn't loan billions with little to no security, and I bet most others here didn't either.

Yes others were asleep, but old seanie gamed the system, he led the headless charge getting very rich in the process and then managed to dump his own debts and that of his family on everyone else in the state.

And trust me he won't even be missed by some of his own relatives, the ones he quickly dumped and looked down his nose at.

Laud my fooking hole.

Only eejits laud those that end up shafting them.

In other countries he would have gone to jail you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You mean the same family that had massive personal loans conveniently written off when they should have been in penury?

Trust me a lot of his extended family couldn't give a flying shyte that the little arrogant boll***s is gone.

Jaysus the amount of lickspittles and sycophants that are still in Ireland.

We as nation and society will never have anything as long as these fookers have a hole in their ar**es.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This reminds me very much of the Lloyds meltdown, everyone was happy to see the other guy burned until slowly, slowly as unwound they started started to realise that they were the ones about to get burned.

The list of bond holders is widely available on the internet, dig up a copy and start ticking of all the names that are fund managers, institutional managers, fiduciary companies etc... and know that they were most likely Irish held, not foreigners. The politicians picked the best worst option.

The only way you can try to ensure you will not get burned the next time around and there will be a next time, there always is, is to have a factual understanding of how things are done, not an emotional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,071 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP. Too young to be dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est translates to "Of the dead nothing but good is to be said"

Sean Fitzpatrick RIP. Always sad to see somebody die too young.

I have nothing more to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

What evidence is there to support the accusation you've made against the late Brian Lenihan junior?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I like the way the mods closed the thread with the full name, and left the "Seanie Fitz" one open.

It's like a very subtle little fcuk you to someone who messed up the country! lol

What can I say? I appreciate the small nuances of life.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I actually thought it was Brian Lenihan who said that but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Hope he died roarin'" as some say.

Like Quinn, our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be paying for his greed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Partying? I remember a segment on The Late Late Show around 2004-5 where Kenny was interviewing Charlie McCreevy, the then Minister for Finance, he was saying that the country had to reign in its spending splurge or there could be a disaster down the tracks, and when he said this the entire audience of tigerclowns in that sh!theap erupted into a orchestra of boo's and hisses.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its well documented that the cnut Geithner told the EU and The IMF that the US bondholders would not being taking any losses, hence we got fcuked without the KYI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Geithner

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

Rot In Perpetuity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

You know that legal/illegal and right/wrong are not the same thing.

Just because there is no law against something does not mean its fair game to do it (or you have done nothing wrong).

Warehousing was probably not a scenario that was ever categorized before by the judiciary until Anglo did it.

But it was giving false impression to the auditors of the banks value in liquid assets. Which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

I just think of all the suicides that were a direct result of his actions...so many people lost and i think it's a side that has been swept under the carpet all these years. i guess the families will never forget though.

this man never showed an ounce of remorse for what he had done to the country and its people

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah here, the "we all partied" nonsense is just that, nonsense

There was severe mismanagement by those paid and trusted to manage. Sean Fitzpatrick was one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

May the lord have mercy on his soul for what he did to the country. Fcukm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Always sad to see people die, not nice at all.

But **** him. between him and the Quinns nothing but a bunch of scumbags, they still have millions and we pay extra for everything. I'd happily **** on all their graves.

And no. FF or FG or whoever the **** was in government didn't get us out of it. The people of Ireland did by being raped, they did **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

He would have croaked in an orange jumpsuit if he was up to the same carry on in New York or London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

A business built on sand, almost a ponzi scheme. And the deeper the sand the more money the CEO & management reaped.

• Advertisement

New York or London? The pillars of deviance...

Advertisement