Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Series ‘21 - Ire v Jap 6thNov Kickoff:1PM(GMT) TV:RTÉ2/C4 Radio:RTÉ1 Streaming:RTÉPlayer/All4

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I go to every match too. The atmosphere is rubbish, the games against the lesser teams especially so. Tonga, Georgia etc etc it’s always like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I found one.

Carbery.

He had no business being there, has done nothing this season to warrant inclusion, has been outplayed by others in 3 of the provinces and although im sure will be part of the squad next week has to find his form somehow and hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Best post today, congrats!! 👌🏻

Maith thú, comhghairdeas!!

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I got two kids tickets for a tenner each. Was happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Those were only available in the last week.

Know 2 guys who brought 3 kids under 12 between them, and paid full whack (€80) for 5 tickets as they purchased them about 3 weeks ago.

Has a left a nasty taste in their mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Henderson didn't seem to have that difficulty. If it was a young guy on debut its understandable but when it's 70/90 cap internationals we have to expect better from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kids tickets were available all along, they're just in the less desirable seats.

Tickets for the Argentina game are going for 15 euro right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I liked the kit! Color me purple, but the lads looked rather dapper wearing purple!

The attendance was pretty poor! Must still be covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No restrictions in place for it. 51000 expected next week. Think short lead in time for sales was issue.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very very little to do with covid. Stadium attendances have been good since the reopening

Main reasons for low attendance :

1. Completely **** kick off time

2. Initial ticket pricing stupidly high

3. Leinster Youths games scheduled for 12:00 causing clashes

4. AIL games scheduled for 2:30 causing clashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

The ticket pricing was wrong. The IRFU screwed up.

I can't get my head around the nay sayers in this thread. That was an incredible performance. Japan are a decent side. They put a decent performance against Australia, the lions and almost beat us since the summer. Lack of game time wasn't an issue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Japan were missing a good few to injury. I heard before the game that they had 5 back rows in the pack and 4 centres in the back line. Not sure how true that is but it came from Murray Kinsella so it’s probably spot on.

Japan were very poor but we were also good. Just how good remains to be seen I reckon as it’s really hard to judge based on yesterday alone. It was a really positive performance with pretty much all the elements I wanted to see from us anyway. I would have liked the bench to have made more of an impact. I was disappointed with some of the performances there and we saw Japan come into the game as a result, which suggests that the starters simply shut them down completely prior to that.

Having watched Argentina yesterday I’d be very worried about Carbery in 2 weeks. He needs to start that game, but if Argentina bring even half the intensity they brought yesterday they’ll eat him alive. And that could do nothing other than set him back even further. Harry Byrne wouldn’t fare any better I don’t think. But both have to be in the 23 for that one. That could be a very tough game for us, unless Argentina are physically and mentally done by then and on the plane home for that game.

This is fast becoming a very, very interesting series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Agree. Argentina looks a real tough test. Physically imposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Some people just love to be negative, partyjungle, there’s little point trying to understand it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Those subs ratings are ridiculous. If Carbery, Murray and POM were worth 7/10 what does a 1/10 look like?

I don't get these player ratings where absolutely average is worth more than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Were they?

I went looking for kids tickets originally and the only options, that I could see, were adult full price. I looked again, after I knew sales were sluggish & was able to get the kids tickets for a tenner.

I may have missed it the first time around but, given that I was specifically looking, I don't think I did. The only option that I had in the ticket type drop down menu, originally, was Adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Especially since all three got the same rating as Ringrose and Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

get the feeling POM was trying to be an impact sub and just ended up giving away a load of penalties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Yes utter nonsense but then it is RTE so seriously is it even worth talking about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For context, a near identical Japan team lost at home to Australia by 9 points 2 weeks ago. They were only 4 points behind with 5 to go. It’s been 3 years since anyone put 60+ on them. That was NZ in 2018 and the score was 31-69. Despite shipping 10 tries they still scored 5 of their own. The last time they lost by 40+ points was 7 years ago against the Maori, that finished 21-61. Yesterday was their worst result since they lost to NZ 83-7 in the 2011 RWC. Before that you need to go back to 2007 for another similar loss.

Sure Japan were poor, but we still must have been doing a fair bit right to ensure we delivered their worst beating in a decade. So if anyone wants to run down the result, maybe they could do with looking at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, Japan did not get into the game til the last 20 minutes by which time they were well beaten and even then they barely got out of their own half. It wasn't their strongest side but they will be very disappointed with that performance. From minute 1 Ireland shut them down and forced mistakes, largely due to pulling their defensive system apart. Their performance was no accident but was largely the result of how Ireland dismantled them. We've seen Ireland put in so so performances while winning against weak teams but yesterday was about ambition and calculated risk, not something we are used to from this team. Japan simply never got their own game going and that says a lot about how Ireland played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Was away for the weekend, only got around to watching the game there in the last while.

That Keenan pass off his left for Conway's second try was a thing of beauty, total peach. He just does all the basics to such a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This was a reply to my post. I'm far too immature to let it go without replying.

Haha (in my best Nelson Muntz voice)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Ireland looked very good. Best performance in a long time, great to see that style of play. High tempo off loading and risk taking

japan were poor though but still good performance

the all blacks must go into the game fairly worn out and Ireland very fresh and in good spirits, half the battle to winning the collisions is in the mind

the question for me would be is are Murray and omahoney the right men to come off the bench.

I personally see them as starters or out of the 22. Casey and coombes/Baird might be better options for the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wow, not partisan at all to decide to pick 3 Munster players to attack after a 55 point drubbing against one of the top 10 teams in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

All blacks rested nearly their full starting team against Italy. Can’t see them being that warn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I wouldn't pick Casey at all for this game. Similarly with Harry Byrne, Casey is a huge talent but is still very raw. Looking at his cameos off the bench in high profile games vs Leinster in particular, I think he has been poor enough, I largely remember his box kicking was extremely inaccurate with kicks out on the full or too deep into opposition territory. I would stick with Murray and JGP for this one, probably starting Murray.

I'd pick Coombes over both POM and Baird too. I think Coombes is very close to the first 15 realistically, he's outstanding and offers a lot more than POM for me. Baird has not been playing well for Leinster, handling in particular over the last few games has been awful. I wouldn't involve Baird for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

After rewatching the match, I noticed that we went up the middle several times at the breakdown. This was highly effective and caused Japan all kinds of problems. Ringrose did it when he set up JGP for his try.

Beirne and Ryan where both great. Ryan made the most carries that I can remember in a long time. That's when he's at his most effective. He almost always finds a way over the gainline.

I worry that Farrell will revert to Healy getting the start alongside Murray. Porter will benefit greatly from this upcoming encounter and JGP is so much faster to the ruck than Murray. His tempo is vastly better.

Another noticeable difference last week, was we didn't rely too much on the maul. We did maul well and it is a weapon, but it's what opposition expect from us.

This week will paint a picture! Hopefully a checkered flag!

Advertisement