Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NFL season - Week 9 thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bears put up a great fight but all those penalties, horrendous from the officials for the taunting one in particular. Steelers got away with one. Great fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Well short with the FG attempt,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He hit the bar, how is that "well short"?

I'm a bit emotional right now!

Have never seen a worse reffing performance, in any sport, and I'm a hurling fan so I don't say it easily. But the big calls aside, we had some terrible indiscipline, and the coaches need to own that (them and Robert Quinn, I mean Jesus Christ). The defense quit on numerous occasions as well.

But by the end all I could think was, Justin fields is the business. He looks better every week, he is making better decisions, better throws, and he's doing it with everything being against him, everyone failing him, coaches, o line, refs who are happy enough to see him getting killed, etc etc. He will be great, just need to hire the right guy. Hopefully the management don't fail him too, and get the right coaches in. That's the only thing that matters.

He was well short , he didn't hit the bar. You can see it better from another camera angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You are correct, they called it on the broadcast as a crossbar it was absolutely not one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

9-5 takes me to 87-49 for the season.

Wow, what a mad weekend. The kind of weened that makes you love the NFL if for nothing else than the fact that even the biggest underdog has a chance on any given Sunday (I'm looking at you Jags!). So many upsets and crazy results. Have to say I thought the Browns performance was the pick of the bunch this weekend. When they play like that, so close to their potential, they are a joy to watch on both sides of the ball. Here's hoping they can bring some consistency now having set the bar so high.

What a tough few weeks for the Bills. To go from looking like potentially the best team in the league to losing to the lowly Jags in what can only be described as a terrible game of football. Now they've got the Pats biting at their heels in the division with a tough enough schedule in front of them from now until Christmas.

Big shout out to any Giants fans in here as well. I think their result was overshadowed by some of the other upsets this weekend but that was a huge win for them off the back of an absolute heartbreaker against the Chiefs last week. Few more guys to come back form injury and they'll be a tough beat in Meadowlands for the rest of the year. Same goes for the Falcons who appear to have gone from a tire fire at the start of the season to a genuinely hard to beat team with two real weapons in Pitts and Patterson. Happy for Matt Ryan too, one of the NFLs genuine nice guys and a great QB in his day.

Hard to believe we're over half-ways, feels like the season's only just getting started!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Felt the same way back in 2019, with the Lions leading the Packers by 2 points after the 2-minute warning (coincidentally also on MNF), when the refs awarded two phantom hands to the face penalties to keep the Packers drive alive after the Lions has twice stopped them on third down. They won the game on a FG as time expired. Actually vividly remember Booger McFarland was livid doing the commentary about the injustice of it. Was absolutely fuming myself after it.

The game is a joke when the situations with the refs arise like this & no-one is held accountable.

Post edited by Lionbacker on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They had a load of injuries again - QBs had been out, Kittle was on IR, they had their 4th and 5th string safeties out there on Sunday and that is the area where the Cardinals attacked. The front office made a stupid gamble on several areas of their secondary and due to injuries now have played and started guys who were available on the street after the season started - Norman and Kirkpatrick to name a few.

Basically nothing has gone right for them all season and when that can be said so frequently for a team it can't just be bad luck - there is something rotten there. In practically every game one group performs so terribly that it costs them game no matter how well other groups play and it is a lottery which group it will be on any given weekend. The defense plays well against Wilson and Murray and then can't stop with Colt McCoy, then when the defense plays well Jimmy has one of his pathetic games, or the special teams decide to implode.

Between the focus on the run game, Jimmy's ultra cautiousness, and the lack of depth on defense the team struggles playing from behind - something they had to do rarely in 2019 and is nearly every week this year. Few teams can overcome having the joint 2nd worst turnover differential in the NFL at -9. This weekend 2 of their best players fumbled early in the game and in no time they were 0-17, a hole this team isn't close to good enough to get themselves out of even against a team with injuries.

If they'd won that game they would have been in a playoff spot but for me they need to stop looking at the short term and start making decisions for the future. Barely any of the 2021 draft picks have seen the field which is fine if the vets are performing but in most cases they aren't. Play the young guys and at least know where we stand going into the offseason, running out vets who are consistently making rookie mistakes isn't helping now nor the future.

• Advertisement

Things are definitely starting to heat up.

I thought the first few weeks were particularly poor in quality but it's a wide open race for the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

7-7 for this week which brings me to 78-58 at the half way stage of the season which is just under 60% which isn’t bad.

How in the name of Jesus did the jags best the bills though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mac got hit in a similar fashion last week. Refs are atrocious this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

6-8 including changing my Cards vote to the wrong team and taking. I might not have believed in Colt but Colt believed in himself which was enough.

81-55. This started off so well and is taking a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve watched the taunting call in the steelers and bears game twice now since it happened Tuesday morning and I think I’m like most people in that I don’t know what Tony Corente saw(mainly because the player had his back to the ref) and it was a horrible decision. Also what was they hip check stuff that happened ? I try to defend the NFL most of the time but as has been said the NFL rulebook may be a perfectly legal rule book but some of the “letter of the law” rules don’t work. Common sense needs to be used a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think he didn't see it right and thought the player was going to the opposing bench instead of celebrating to the stadium.

Of course if they rescind it now it will get ridiculous as players take the piss out of it to get back at the nfl for the dumb rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Advertisement