Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanksgiving in ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swissnor

I have heard in the media and by other commentators in Ireland that thanksgiving is an American holiday. This is not true. Thanksgiving originated as a celebration of the harvest in Ireland, the U.K. Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia. The first thanksgiving celebration was celebrated 40 years before the pilgrims by captain Martin Frobisher and his crew for reaching what is today Canada safely from England. Many people in Ireland don't seem to understand that "Native American's" are not native to the Americas and various tribes killed, tortured, raped and enslaved their enemies.

If Ireland were to adopt an annual thanksgiving holiday this would mean all people no matter their background could celebrate the holiday. I believe an annual thanksgiving day would be a boost to the local tourism sector because many people would book a weekend away or have a thanksgiving day dinner in a local restaurant or hotel. Many local employers in the tourist sector would as a result hire local people either full time or part time not to mention other local spin off industries that will benefit the economy. However the government along with others from the Roman Catholic tradition and some feminists groups have been determined to make St. Brigid 's day the new annual bank holiday in February.  I don't think a St. Brigid 's day bank holiday will have the same impact as an annual thanksgiving day. No matter what way people spin it a "St. Brigid's day" annual holiday will simply come off as a Roman Catholic saint's day. 

According to news reports the government has now changed their mind on a date for an annual St. Brigid 's day bank holiday in February because of religious backlash and now have purposed a new date on January 31. Unfortunately this is just semantics on the government's part. People will still not have a day off in February and it will still feel like a long time until St. Patrick's day in March. The government should instead drop the idea of a St. Brigid's day and have a thanksgiving day in February, November of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

No one is to be stoned until I blow this whistle. Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehovah !

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I would prefer taking over Chinese New Year instead as it lasts 10 days.

Or Rosh Hashanna the Jewish New Year, that lasts 10 days and a bit too. I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement

Teachers will have the day off. Teachers will have the month off.

Surprised it hasn't happened already. Every Dubliner has fond childhood memories of Henry St. in the winter, hot dog n mustard in hand, the family's red, white and blue eh... faces braced against the cold, the air ringing with the street seller's cries of 'Git yer Turducken! Turducken, Five for Fifty!' and 'Last o' de Bud Light, Yo!' Safe in the knowledge that Ireland will for ever be... a little piece of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

It's an American holiday. Why the good f**k I or anybody else in this part of the world would want to celebrate anything American, given the $hithousery that country has been involved within the last 30 years is well beyond me.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swissnor

Many other countries around the world besides the United States celebrate thanksgiving as a public holiday. For example Austria, Liberia, the external Australian territory of Norfolk Island and China celebrate their thanksgiving in November. Canada, Grenada and St. Lucia celebrate their thanksgiving in October. South Korea cerebrate their thanksgiving in September and Rwanda celebrate their thanksgiving day in August. So people who say thanksgiving is an American holiday simply don't know what they are talking about. I would ask people to e-mail their local T.D.'S and Senators to tell them you want a new secular thanksgiving holiday either in November, February or July.

Dear Minister,

I would urge you to create a new annual thanksgiving public holiday in November. Irish people get four paid public holidays less than the European Union average of 33 days. A new annual public holiday could be used to “give thanks” for surviving the pandemic and remembering all those who were not so fortunate and passed on. A new annual public holiday would give people time to “decompress” and have a quiet day off with family and friends and enjoy a thanksgiving dinner before the madness of Christmas. I also believe that a new annual bank holiday would be a welcome boost to the hospitality and tourism sector which has suffered both domestically and internationally during the Covid pandemic.    

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours truly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,068 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought Americans had to work on Thanksgiving? **** commies and their days off....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

No, it is there bank holiday. Some major stores may up late in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.

Do not import this sh!t over here and dont give ideas to the Krispy Kreme set who love to copy everything Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We only got Black Friday so that retailers here can con us into buying their end of line crap that would otherwise remain unsold. Sell it at the same price with a sale sticker on it so people think they're getting a bargain.

Yeah, that's what I thoiught - but do store employees get a day off in lieu / extra pay? Because if not and an employer can mandate you to work as normal, it's not strictly speaking a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

I lived in that clustered fcuk for a few years. People going to bed at 11 on Christmas night because they have to be in as usual on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

What did the ball bearing factory worker say when he spilt a bag of new ball bearings...... Agh balls

Advertisement