Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Why do people feel they are entitled to the money of others?

• 29-10-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ JizzBeans

Jeff Bezos & Elon musk amongst others, appear in the media quite frequently and how they make obscene amounts of money and even more so during the pandemic. We see a story that typically says something like: "These companies made billions during the pandemic" or "Such a persons wealth has now surpassed this amount" etc, etc.

And the comments that follow are nearly always the same;

1. Nobody needs that amount money.
    2. Jeff.B could give every American 50k and still have billions left over.
    3. Billionaires should be illegal.
    4. Why do billionaires build rockets when they could cure cancer

Lots of ganging up, negativity, wealth shaming etc, and anybody who disagrees is usually mocked.Do people seriously think like this? What is the rational? Nobody has a say over other peoples money nor are they entitled to other peoples money.

Does anybody feel that this is inappropriate behavior?

And to a lesser extent, Its definitely a prevalent mentality with certain classes in Ireland to. Anybody who looks like they are well off are automatically labelled as snobs, rich cu^ts etc, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭ happyoutscan

i was a **** well before I was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ Jequ0n

It’s called envy or begrudging, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ landofthetree

Nobody is forced to hand over money to amazon.

Government takes it off you by force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ atticu

It seems that you missed point 3.

1. Nobody needs that amount money.
    2. Jeff.B could give every American $5 and still have billions left over.
    3. When you make a certain amount of wealth it seems to take on a life of its own.Nothing wrong with making a profit but the like of Bezos does it by making others suffer. His staff. He could chose to distribute a few hundred million on raising salaries, health etc. but the c*** wants to go to space a few times to be fair.
    4. The fact that such enterprises make such people so much money means there's a problem with the system. Why do billionaires build rockets when they could cure cancer

Post edited by atticu on

You guys realise that we pay taxes right? We the little people?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭ Relax brah

Lazy and resentful people - they usually lack a proper education and have zero social awareness.

Ive done well (ish) for myself, I went to a public school and paid my own way through college whilst working full time - I had to do part time study so I could work full time in order to pay the fees.

I never came from money and parents were very poor. I did it all with hard work and nothing more.

alot of people will say it was “luck,” or my “his parents supported him.” Which isn’t true. I’ve read a bit into this, you’ll find a good research paper here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2944661/

In short, people have a need for control. People also look to others for a benchmark by which they can gauge their own success. When you change the benchmark in such a way that you are now above where they are, they start questioning their own skills and abilities and feel like they've failed. This sense of inadequacy can be made even worse by the fear that, as you gradually make choices that create more distance, you'll leave them behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ Shao Kahn

They are the biggest winners, in a game designed to create winners and losers!

Whenever one of these guys gets to this lofty position in life, where they have so much wealth that their life essentially just becomes a bit meaningless, you invariably get an army of plebs in society trying to paint them as some demonic comic book style villain. Hell bent on world domination and subjugation of the masses in some giant half baked conspiracy theory.

Bezos, Gates, Musk, Soros etc etc. It's just a lazy caricature at this point.

Don't create an economic system, and then lose your sh!t when a bunch of clever feckers become really good at playing the game.

If you don't like the system, change it. Design a better system.

I agree nobody NEEDS $200 billion. And it would be better if wealth and resources were more evenly spread across society. But that's not the fault of Jeff Bezos. He played the game and came out a big winner!

Now he's 57, obscenely wealthy, probably incredibly bored too by the looks of it. So he builds a space program, like a bored kid might build a tree house or go-cart etc. Mid life crisis billionaire style! lol

Good luck to him. I don't envy famous or rich people, they're still human beings. They are subject to human emotions and human problems / weaknesses like everyone else. Depression, addictions etc. Being rich and famous looks like a bit of a curse to me - a lonely place, where you are surrounded by the worst type sycophants and leaches.

Plus, I genuinely enjoying working hard to achieve modest improvements in my life. I don't know that I would really gain much gratification from having so much money, that I had no reason to even get out of bed in the morning. Creating a space program just to alleviate my boredom. No thanks!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭ generic_throwaway

These huge corporations do not exist in a vacuum. They can exist because of the legal and social framework that allows them to exist and make money. That legal and social framework costs money to create and maintain. They should contribute to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sibyl_savant

The 'if you don't like X then don't use X' is a foolish argument.

When a company such as Amazon has such a dominant position in a market they limit people's options. The suggestion that they can't or shouldn't be criticised is interesting. It raises them up to another level, giving them church like qualities. Let's be clear, Bezos might be more clever than 99% of the population but that does not entitle him to be wealthier than 99.99999999 of people. This is especially true since he has leveraged his place in the market to give himself an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭ Galwayguy35

Bezos wasn't born into money, he was smart enough to come up with an idea and it made him one of the richest people alive today.

Nobody is forced to work in Amazon or buy their products, if his company gets away with paying only a small amount of tax then its up to Governments to change the system and not blame business owners for taking advandage of it.

The far left always seem to hate people who are successful and want them to give it all away to the workshy and crusties who will never achieve anything in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭ PMBC

Re the Bible ... camel and the eye of the needle.

THere is a different interpretation that refers to the 'eye of the needle' as being a very tricky mountain pass in the middle east. So that being rich means it will be difficult not impossible to attain Heaven. Of course you have to believe in religion and Chrisitanity in the first place to accept the allegory.

Just sayin ....

Advertisement