Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is strength training tougher the more years you lift

Options
  • 23-10-2021 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Have been lifting consistently for almost 4 years. Was able to do full body workouts with supersets and minimal rest between sets the first 2 years but when covid happened,I changed to upper/lower split and find I'm having to take longer rests . My progress in last 2 years has been pretty feeble( except in bench). Am almost 50. Is this something that would happen even if I was 25 , and just happens the longer you lift? Or is it because I'm getting old and lucky to maintain strength, let alone add a few kgs a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

It unfortunately does gets harder as you get older and as you add weight to the bar. At that point you've probably gotten all the health benefits you need though so you don't necessarily have to try progress any more. Have you gotten much stronger since you started?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Not going crazy into super heavy. I would be happy to maintain what I have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As Cilian alludes to, a key question is whether you got a lot stronger and then as a consequence of that your workouts became tougher. That is a normal trajectory, and as you age it would become harder to manage, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

Yes I was really consistent and made great progress in the first 2 years. My coach wanted me to compete. So ye reckon workouts do become tougher, the stronger you become . It doesn't make sense in a way as when a beginner you're lifting also what's heavy to you. Is it wear and tear? Does a 25 year old also find it harder the stronger they get?

I guess part of me is wondering if its psychological as switched to working out at home AND changed from daily undulating to powerlifting program 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

You would think that it would stay the same because the weight is relative to your strength. However the absolute weight still matters, a lot. You can lift it, but it feels heavier and takes a larger toll on your body.

Just look at the bloodshot eyes and nosebleeds that can occur in elite level powerlifting or strongman in heavy deadlifts. Can take weeks to recover from a maximal lift at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Diminishing returns are certainly a thing on strength training. You sound like you are long past the point of newbie gains.

Elite level powerlifters would be delighted with a 5kg PR after a 12 month training cycle, but that might seems like a crappy gain for someone at intermediate level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would be generally positive about what you're saying, to be honest, it's probably something that can be managed.

Assuming 4 years of productive training, most people's progress will have slowed down to a few kilos on main lifts here and there, don't be too concerned about that.

You have to look at:-

1. Sleep/recovery. There's only so much people with busy lives can do, but it's too important not to mention. If you can't sleep more you could try improving your sleep quality. For example, in men getting up to take a few pisses a night is not uncommon, and reducing caffeine intake and a lot of liquids in the late evening can help. Maybe try ZMA as a supplement.
    2. Outside stresses (Like the work from home thing you mention) can also affect training. If there's a lot going on in your personal life then be aware this will impact your lifting. If I had a child in the hospital, for example, I wouldn't be expecting to perform in the gym. Extreme example, but you get my point.
    3. Diet. It's probably #1 really. If you were to eat clean but also get sufficient calories it probably would address most of your problems, but again, it's a lot easier said than done. Alcohol several times a week will act as a handbrake as well.
    4. Programming. In your case you're still progressing so I would be reluctant to do anything drastic but your options are to programme more deloads or to consider reducing your volume. Shave a few sets off the assistance and accessories and see how you feel.

Advertisement