Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people in your household and how often do your bins go out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

2 in the house

Bins usually need to go out whenever I'm watching something good on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 30,328 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Both our green and black bin goes out every fortnight and generally they are fairly full.

The black bin can often be used for decluttering and we may have elements from the farm sometimes.

We use have a brown bin but our bin company left the area and the ew company doesn't do brown bins.

There are three adults.

Going slightly OT with this one - re charges

13-14 Euro is fine imo for a 'black bin lift'... But recently, the local company fks you with the 90 something cents standing charge per week 😒

No harm if you only use the 'bin collection service' , but, if I had a car; it's not too far from here to the main recycling centre, where you can bring a bootful of rubbish/reyclables etc.. It works out cheaper - If I did have a car, I would probably avail of this from time to time, and put the wheelie bin out less.. So that standing charge seems plenty exorbitant... Used to be a 'tag' was used, and wrapped around the handle (which was fraught with obvious problems too, as tags weren't specific to any particular bin) ; whereas nowadays the code on the bin is scanned before lifting, and if the credit is on the account, then, in it goes to the back of the lorry....

Another annoyance is if it takes a few goes to empty the wheelie, then chances are that the lid might come into contact with some 'unsavoury' substances contained within, as I mentioned in an earlier post...

Bins are collected every 2 weeks here so both black and blue go out then. It’s pay by weight so it makes no difference if it’s half empty.

I got rid of the brown bin. It also gets collected every two weeks and in the hot months, I’d never use it as there would be flies every time you opened it to add more. Live in an estate and neighbour was spotting rats about so we all got rid of the brown bins and rats disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The bins go out more often than I do.... 😁

Seriously though, 3 member household with a compost bin in back garden and recycle trips to local council depot. Domestic refuse bin is collected once a month. Recycle trips are undertaken about once every two months. All cans and plastic bottles are washed and squashed and stored in a small shed until there is enough collected to justify a trip to the recycle center.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on where you live - some places/companies might have 'pay by lift' , and others, 'pay by weight' ; bigger towns & cities may have more options... If it's pay by lift, then it would appear more sensible to compact the household rubbish as much as possible, I guess, and put out the bin less frequently...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't really understand the question. The bins go out every Sunday night/Monday morning when they're supposed to - I don't get a council tax refund for skipped weeks. We're a family of 2 and 2. The amount that goes in them varies from week to week but generally it's:

black sacks (mainly nappies of late) * 2. . . .in truth, this could easily be one but I get in trouble for "compacting" and then apparently the bag rips when removed (just not for me, ever :D )

orange recycling sacks * 2

green garden bin is always out there, there might only be stuff (grass, cuttings, etc ) in it during spring/summer weeks

glass collection is bi-weekly but I'd say we only put it out every 2-3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

I'd understand it if you are not charged per lift and you just put it out half full every week out of habit, but each collection in our area is nearly €10 euro.

Also can't understand how families can generate the sheer amount of rubbish that would have your average 120L bin overflowing every week. We all need to play a part in limiting rubbish generated, and it's not just the responsibility of the supermarkets, who do carry a huge amount of responsibility for the amount of unnecessary packaging in their products.

I make a conscious effort to avoid buying products in supermarkets that don't have excess plastic packaging, and sort my by rubbish into clean recyclables, compost and general rubbish. The general rubbish is absolutely minimal, especially now that clean soft plastics can go into the recycling. The only thing of any bulk that fills up our bin now are the nappy pull ups for night time with our youngest, but even when we had two in nappies, it might only get filled up every 4 to 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mine is €30 a month , three of us

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

2 adults in the house. We have a black bin for general waste, a recycling bin and a compost bin. The bins go out every 2 weeks. The black bin might only have one bag in it and it might not even be full. The recycling bin is always full. Compost bin usually not too full. It would mostly be filled with vegetable peelings and garden trimmings in the summer. Bins cost us €82 per quarter. I'd love if our waste company offered glass recycling. Currently we bring all glass to the local recycling centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Blue every two weeks and black one once in the 3 months Live with 3 adults

Pay by lift and weight and its around a tenner a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Same for us with 2 adults and 2 kids. although I might not always put out the compost bin every time over the winter as there's no grass cuttings in it.

We pay an annual flat fee so I don't care if the bins are not full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I live in n apartment block so there’s big commercial bins. 3 for landfill and 3 for recycling, all emptied weekly

Advertisement