Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people in your household and how often do your bins go out?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

There's 5 in our house.

Me, my 2 bros and my mam and my dad.

Our black bin goes out once a month (max).

Green goes out every two weeks.

Brown rarely (especially in winder/autumn) as it's mostly garden trimmings that go in it. We produce very little food waste, any leftover food goes to the birds too.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I live in a big apartment block (just the two of us in the household); there are big things (skips?) for putting general rubbish, or recyclable stuff into. We aren't charged by the landlord or the Council. I probably bin too many things things that could be recycled, tbh. The glass bins do get full. There is no brown bin for compostables.

I think the skips get emptied once a week? But it's for the whole block.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There are different black bin sizes so be aware of them with responses, and many providers around the city dont charge per lift so many people will put them out at each scheduled collection full or not.

We have a 140litre black bin and that goes out twice a month . We have a one year old so unfortunately majority is nappies. Without them once a month would be fine.

Compost goes out every two weeks, small amount of food waste, usually grass, leaves, trimminings etc.

Recycling every two weeks usually full of cardboard and similar by the time its lifted.

Glass - Once a month to once every two months, its rarely even half full.

@Outkast_IRE I go through far more glass, glug, LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Two adults here usually. I'm curious about you not putting the brown (food waste) bin out regularly. I don't think our leftovers would be that good for the birds but if its pigeons and seagulls that visit you they're not so fussy but smaller birds are more delicate. Our black goes out about once a month, green around three weeks and the brown every two weeks. Do you have the same brown waste as me? Banana skins, turnip skins, fat off meat, potato & carrot peelings, chicken carcass - they all weigh quite a bit and even on colder days can begin to produce some wiggling life so I feel its best to be rid. I also wash out the bins as regularly as possible especially the manky brown one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

One in house and green bin could be every 2 weeks or month as more can be thrown on in there now.

Black bin could be 2 months or later depending when full.

Compost bin is suppose to be 2 weeks but got lazy and could be monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

There's 6 if us that use our bins. 4 in this house and her parents across the road. Our recycling goes out once a month as we generally bring any cardboard and plastic bottles to the recycling centre ourselves. The black bin is out once a fortnight and it does be quite full with two houses using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Waste one week, recycling the next, dont have a brown one, they are tiny anyway, Seagulls,crows and magpies along with the foxes,badgers and cats take care of the food waste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Where do you leave it for the wildlife? Have to say the odd time we'd have a leg of lamb I'm tempted to leave the bone out for the foxes.

Edit... two adults and a few kids. Green bin left out every fortnight packed, Black bin every fortnight usually full, brown bill same day (every fortnight) as the black bin and usually full.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Family of 4 here. 2 adults and 2 children including one in nappies up to very recently.

We use the brown and green bin regularly and these go out either once or twice a month depending on how full they are, or time of year in the case of the brown bin.

We'd tend to get about 6 to 7 weeks from our black bin though. Do squash it down a bit but know roughly when it reaches the 40kg limit.

I can't understand how some people create so much waste that they need to put it out every week. Have in-laws that have similar sized families to us and they have it bulging out of the top every week. No idea for the life of me what they are putting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement

Back of the house is woodland and a small river,totally wilded except for a fishing path on one side of the river , have a flat piece of wood on top of a fence post, leave it out at night, gone in the morning, used to have a video of a badger sitting up on it ,eating away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say all the rats in the area are delighted that you are feeding them and supporting their growing population

Look at the photo, rats wouldn't be messing with that lad, anyway have four cats and a dog who's fond of torturing vermin

??? You must have never lived in an apartment block... I've lived in a few (renting) and bins were always gratis....Comes out of the management fees paid by the apt owners, I presume...

Me: Don't use recycling bin, nor do I bother with the small brown(?) food one... Just me, and I usually get 10 weeks (standard bin size - however many litres, I don't know) , and I'm pretty happy with that ☺️ It's all about squashing the bags down in advance (it helps to ease the air out first ,after [or before - it's all about personal preference/ a combination of the two is perfectly fine too] 'tying them off' ☺️) ...

#Pro Tip - Don't fill the first bag to the brim - about 50/60% full is the way to go - , as that way it can fit into the 'alcove' (as the bottom of them bins aint flat usually) at bottom of bin..

The next two bin bags can be about 70% full, and squashed (like all the bin bags) - these can go 'side by side' and atop the lil one on the bottom.. Usually fine after that, as can fill bin bags as full as ya like... Come this stage a chair/ladder/whatever can be utilised, and after the bottom two 'rows' are full, any further rubbish/binbags can be further squashed by standing/jumping on them from 'inside the bin'.. This is facilitated due to the build up of rubbish and the 'height factor' ie when one gets on ladder, and the 'third row' is in place, then it is reasonably easy to get in and out of the bin, so getting in and out aint problematic... Best to make sure your main bin is on a solid surface though, and that it's reasonably 'weighted down' by the 4+ bags that should be in it at this stage.

It's all about getting the 'foundations' right, and leaving as little of a 'vacuum' as possible.....

Pay by 'lift' - I don't think weight is a major consideration, although I don't have much heavy stuff in my bin ie scores of newspapers/magazines and the like...

#Also, if new to an area, have a look around at folks' bins on binday, and if some or a lot of them have them full 'above lid height' , then feel free to do the same.. Some companies/co co's might be sticklers for the 'rules' re "lids must be 'fully closed' " etc

EDIT it should go without saying, but always rip up cardboard packaging (cereal boxes/washing powder and the likes) and for plastic milk drums; open the lid on the empty container about 2 half-turns, and stand on it, squashing it as flat as possible before depositing in kitchen bin..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So the poster does pay bin charges?

I obviously picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

Single person here.

Brown Bin- Never. All food waste goes into rotating composter.

Green Bin - Never. All paper/cardboard make into paper bricks for the fire. All Glass to the recycling centre.

Black Bin - About twice a year

Don't have the room (plus too messy) in my kitchen for multiple bins, so all rubbish ends up in black bin...

No, I don't think he does. A tenant in an apartment block generally doesn't pay bin charges (though it may well be incorporated into their rent) , and there's usually several skips for the tenants to chuck their rubbish into..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Two in house, bins go out alternate two weekly, often not full. Finally got round to a proper compost bin system so only cooked food scraps go into brown bin, so there is hardly anything in it, I still put it out as it gets too smelly if it is left for longer. I may rethink that as its hardly worth putting it out.

Occasionally put out a packed bale of flattened cardboard with the recycling bin (when its not raining) and the bin men take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

2 adults. We've a general waste bin, the small size narrow ones and a normal size recycling bin. They each get collected once per fortnight and would be reasonably full.

Our waste company don't offer a compost bin for rural customers. We've very little organic waste anyway, potato skins and the like have been going in the general waste but we will be composting ourselves, we're not long in the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We definitely have to put ours out every week. 2 adults and a toddler in nappies. Nappies make up a huge of the waste unfortunately. We also do have much smaller bins than our neighbours for some reason. Would never fill a proper massive wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Do you recycle any plastic or tetra pack cartons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

2 in our house, bins go out every second week for collection regardless of how full they are. Can't see why you wouldn't.

Used to have pay as you lift service, annual charge 90 euro, black bin 12:50, green bin 1:50 brown bin 5:50 or all for the year 215. I was sick of smelling rubbish so decided paid the 215 and put it out weekly regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Black bin every week, don't use the green or brown, just put everything into the black.

wow, that's an incredible bit of nature you have there.

There's just me in my place and every 4-6 weeks on recycle and black bins and brown bin 3 times a year max, mostly garden waste. (I don't put any food waste unless its raw fruit/vegetable scraps)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

Recycle anything that has a 1-5 on the bottom of it. Thats a lot of different plastics. I dont think you can recycle tetra packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Green every two weeks, black weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There's just myself and the OH. The green bin goes out every 2 weeks and the black one every 4 weeks. The brown one goes out just once every 3 months or so, it's mainly garden trimmings and fruit/veggie peelings. I really wish there was a glass collection in my area because it's a pain having to haul ass down to the bottle bank with bags of bottles and jars, especially when you don't have a car.

Nope, unless it's included in the rent? I don't get a bill for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Burning cardboard isn't recommended, tends to release harmful chemicals into the air.

Advertisement