Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse DNS (PTR) records for Vodafone

Options
  • 21-10-2021 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folk,

I've seen someone else discuss this before many moons ago, and I require the same help. I have a self-hosted mail server setup and configured, and I require a reverse DNS/PTR record setup to stop my emails from being marked as spam. I've tried contacting Vodafone about this via Twitter before, but whoever I was talking to has no clue what I was talking about and thought I was trying to setup a third-party router, which I am not. I carefully explained to them what I need and even sent them a few articles on what rDNS is, which again they still hadn't a clue.

Are there any Vodafone reps/employees still on here that can help out? The post I saw of someone else asking was from 2010, so I'm not sure if help is still available.

Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

No reps on here anymore.

To be honest, unless it's a business account, the chances of you speaking to someone in Vodafone who will understand what you're on about never mind have the power or knowledge to sort is slim to none.

These days you may well be better off with a Google Workspace Starter or Office365 Business Basic account for around €5 a month and do authenticated mail relay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notleks

That's a massive bummer. I have the Gigabit/Siro broadband and had them open port 25 for me for Postfix which they did perfectly fine, so I figured they could do the same for rDNS. It's just frustrating because they seemed to have cut off the live chat option for broadband and make you call them, they've no email support, and the people running their Twitter haven't a clue either. So I'm kinda just stuck in the middle fending for myself. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone's support is universally poor.

However most ISP's don't really want you hosting mail or web servers on their consumer services so you'll be hard pushed to find another ISP willing to help you on this either.

If you really want to do it, you're probably going to have to move to a business package (and ideally not with Vodafone as their SME support is as bad as residential).

Being quite honest though - either a reliable mail relay service or a Google Workspace/Office365 mailbox is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hosting email is a suckers game. Im all for roll your own but email is a sewer.

The used to sell you a static at €6/month. Once you get that you'd then need to convince them to enter your new record, doubt that'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 notleks

It really is. I mean it does actually work and send out email perfectly fine, but putting it through sites like Mail-Tester dock me for not having that PTR record setup. I've successfully sent mail to my own Gmail account and a couple others which is fine, but it's just frustrating that I can't improve my mail effectiveness etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement