Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people afarid to ask for a pay rise?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Do you have an annual review? This is the time to ask, when managers can actually give pay rises based on cost of living increases and on performance. By all means ask at that time , but frame it in the right way.

valid reasons to be paid more are : I am more experienced, I am more productive, I have more qualifications, I have x y z examples of meeting or exceeding goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭backwards_man

Dont wait for the annual review. Unless it is a small owner run company, pay increases have already been decided and approved by finance weeks before the review is scheduled. Its too late at that point, a manager does not want to have to go back and ask for a figure to be changed and have to justify it. Theee months before the annual review period start the conversation with your manager, link it to performance and what you do on the team so that they have plenty of time to either juggle the figures to give you an extra few percentage or get extra budget approved, or decide you are not worth it. f you dont get it, look around and find a company that will pay you what you want and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

You don't say exactly what you do OP but you did say your a frontline worker. I can tell you if you're working in Healthcare you can definitely get an increase.

I can't give away too much but coming from the Finance department of a healthcare company I know they are raising pay rates all over the place to keep people because it's so difficult current to replace them.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I asked this week and got it.

Only regret is not asking sooner.

The worst they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jo187

Thanks, we did get a little bump. Which was a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

Yes, but the OP also said that he would not take that tone when speaking with his boss, and that that was his girlfriend's interpretation... but you'd have to say it anyway. That 60 year old lady could be there for another 5 years, and you're advising that the OP spends that whole time hoping and praying that she'll be leaving next month? Madness!

An employee asking for a pay rise doesn't necessarily mean that they're expecting one, but what it does do is remind the boss of what they might be taking for granted and consider whether they really want risk the chance of that employee to leaving after getting a better offer. The pay rise mightn't come there and then, but that employee will see it reflected in some way in the future... perhaps in a way that also allows the boss to save face.

And aside from your terrible advice, you sure as hell make a lot of typos and spelling mistakes. Did you say college instead of colleague, every instead of ever, and loose instead of lose?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ask for it, I used to be like your girlfriend and many years ago I was in a similar position to you. After I asked, citing cost of living, it wasn't even a discussion, pay went up the next month. I cited my reliability, productivity and not much else. You on the other hand have an increased workload to compensate for a worker they presumably are only holding onto because of fears of a big payout if they manage her out at that age. €200 euro after tax though won't be much, ask for more.

Ask, if they say no, it doesn't change anything, you can then reevaluate staying.

You have said your frontline workers though, are you public service? If you are there is probably nothing you can do, just roll with the increments. If private sector, presumably there is alot more room for maneuver. In almost any job, it is worth increasing the wage of a lower paid employee to encourage them staying as the cost of training and time wasted is more than they are going to pay for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP, id ask every year.

Genuinely, every June, i look at getting something else that I didnt have last year, be it 2 days extra holidays or a payrise or a pension top up. You are there to sell your labour.

I never go about it by saying give it to me or else, but every year i have some new additional skill or work that i provide and i highlight that. Never been rejected...

Go for it but do it as an added value way. Each year you are more experienced in your role than the last, that has minimum value at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

the problem with asking for a payrise is that it generally leaves ill feeling.

either Employer is annoyed to be asked to pay more, or employee is annoyed that they are not valued as much as the market pays (or in some cases are just dellusional )

In my experience, unless the employer is pro-offering pay rises then its time to dust off the cv.

I did have one employer tell us (back in the boom days) that the income tax cuts were our payrise that year. Needless to say they had to hire a lot of staff quite quickly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

OP, I was in this situation before and was offered 1%. This was on the back of being offered another position which had a similar salary but was incremental. I was promised that my salary in the old job would be reviewed if I didn't take the second job and was then absolutely horrified when they said it was 1%. I then found another role and left within 6 months. I was quite young at the time, so I was a bit naieve not to find out what the figure was until then.

Go into your manager and base the conversation on your outputs and commitment to the role (and your desire to progress). I wouldn't bring inflation or rent into it, as others said they don't give a toss about that. But losing a good member of a team is a massive burden in terms of the costs of recruiting a new start and training them. Their lives would be made easier if you stay. Don't mention leaving. Make sure it is all focused on the fact that you love the work and want a salary review. Do they do progress reviews? If so, that could be the opportunity for you to discuss this with them.

Between now and then, I would look for a similar role in the midlands and start interviewing. If anything, it gives you a sense of control and could be helpful in the long run. If you got an offer elsewhere at X amount, your current company may match it at the least, or give you more than you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement