Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people afarid to ask for a pay rise?

Options
  • 18-10-2021 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jo187

Hi guys

I'm currently in financial trouble. Our rent was raised and we struggling to stay afloat.

We decided to just stick out till January to enjoy one last Christmas in our place.

If we leave, we be going back home to the Midlands and we might have to leave our jobs in Dublin, if we can't sort travel out for work.

I was talking to my girlfriend and I said I might tell my boss what's going on and ask for a pay rise to help us stay in Dublin.

I work in a three person team and one of my colleagues is nightmare. She has been there for years, in her 60s now and doesn't want to do anything. Is obsessive with smoking, gossip and snaps at everyone. She's working one day less every two weeks. My boss has acknowledged the extra work I do and how difficult it is to work with her.

There is extra money with her working less. It comes to 200 a month there saving by her working less. I'm basically looking for that money to help us out.

My girlfriend is very much against me saying anything and thinks it comes across "give me a pay rise or else".

I think this is really unfair as this would not be the tone I take when speaking with my boss, who I have a good relationship with.

In the past my gf been funny about this type of thing in mine and her job.

Is it an Irish thing? Like "don't say anything, just be grateful for a job?" Just wondering what are other people experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Depending on your salary, you would need a whopper pay rise to sort out the struggling to stay afloat issue. Tax is a bastard.

I would never be afraid to ask but in this case I doubt it will solve your issues.

What I would do is plan for the move to the midlands, get a remote job(Depending on your line of work), and enjoy the country air with all the spare cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jo187

Sadly remote job not an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

In any case I doubt the pay rise will solve your issues and with things getting worse and worse in Dublin in regards to rent and general cost of living I would be planning my exit strategy.

When I mentioned remote working I meant with another company also :) Loads of them around now.

Ahh thanks. Not to go into much detail but were both frontline workers. We found positions that we enjoy and would struggle to get in the Midlands.

We both worked through the crisis, got covid and our reward is our government letting us down.

First they cancel the rent freeze and no help in the budget. The extra money won't be massive help but buy us some more time in our place together.

Whole thing feels hopeless as there is no help for people like us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your girlfriend is right, it is going to sound like 'give me a pay rise or else...' and that good relationship with your manager is going to be history - no one reacts well to the kind of threat in the long term.

In my experience most people don't have a problem asking for a pay rise, some with justification and some with none. The thing people forget when asking, is that is not the manager's money, he will have to justify an increase to their boss and so on up the line. So you need to give them something to work with beyond Jim/Mary is cool employee. In your case it seems do depend on your manager going into bat for you on a pay rise that brings nothing to the company beyond avoiding a bit of a hassle replacing you.

Everything you say about your colleague may be very true, but if they are in their sixties they won't be around for every and your departure might be the catalyst for them to give her early retirement in order to clear the decks. And the other thing is that your replacement won't know about your college until they've had to dealing with her.

All that said, it does not look like you have much to loose by giving it a try. I would present it as a fait accompli, you're just giving him an early heads up that you and your partner have decided to return to the midlands because it has not worked out financially for you and that sometime in the new you year you will most likely resign. And see what the reaction is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭dennyk

Any request for a pay rise should always be framed in the context of what extra value you are bringing to the organisation through your work and why that extra value merits a higher salary, and perhaps what the going market rate is for your role and the work you do if you're feeling cheeky. No matter how well you might get on with your employer, they don't care about your personal financial situation, and they aren't going to give you a pay rise just because your rent is too high or you can't pay your bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Men are usually ok and women tend to be historically not so good at asking hence the so called gender pay gap

That's a very honest post....... don't want to shoot off on a tangent but it makes my blood boil when I see two adults working full time and month to month their backs are up against the wall to 'cover' the necessities/ basics. Like you say this government don't really see you & partner as an asset to society.... you're basically a cash cow. My eldest daughter found herself in similar situation ........FORTUNATELY Mrs Mc Carthy & I were in a position to give her a good dig-out.......but still it's irking.....she worked hard in college/ straight into the workforce & fiddly squat left over at end of the Month. Anyhow, rant over......my way of looking at your situation/ impasse is go straight to the jugglar. Meet up with boss ( kinda informally, maybe over a coffee) & lay it out straight...... absolutely nowt to be embarressed about......theres loads in the same position.....I wouldn't come with the 'gun to head- take it or leave it' approach..... more along the lines of ' look you know how it is.......things are hard.....inflation.....rent rising etc'. At the end of the day what's the worst that can happen????? Anyhow, best of luck & hope it works out ok for you both

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Wow. I've never heard this as an excuse for the gender pay gap before.

Thanks for the chuckle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't think it was intended as an excuse..... and I would not be at all surprised that it can to some extent be attributed to this, at lease for smaller differences. Like everyone else, managers like to avoid conflict, and if it is within their power you can expect the pay increases/promotions etc... will go to the agitators, whether they are male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nothing funny about it.

Women tend to apply for jobs they can already do, and undersell themselves when talking about wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I recently had an employee come to me with a similar problem, I wasn't in a position to increase his wage BUT I was able to put on special overtime to suit him as well as change his hours around with someone else to make it as easy as possible for him to earn more.

I don't know if that would work in your case BUT hopefully it's an example that going to your employer with honesty and explaining your situation can be the best option. Once you're honest and communicate clearly. Personally, I'd leave out the stuff about the nightmare colleague and, as someone said above, highlight your own clear value. Best of luck with it, your post seems honest and genuine and I have no doubt you will come across that way with your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ask for a payrise because you deserve one not because you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t frame it as in... “ I need this, so if I don’t get it I’ll skidaddle “. I think that has only around a 50/50 chance of working...

mention it as in the value and experience, how long it’s been since a pay rise...

by all means if they are not forthcoming with an offer after that or it’s a lowball offer... “ ok having discussed this at home and done the maths it’s very clear that unless my contributions here are more fairly and proportionately rewarded in line with the industry pay I’ll unfortunately need to seek employment elsewhere.”

I know very talented people on 38K year as they refuse to leave the company that hired them after college. This is 10 years later and still with the same company where they could easily be getting 55K+ with another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

What are you going to do when next rent increase happens,kids come along,you need a new car etc?

Use this as a springboard to get yourselves out of this situation whether that be retraining,relocating or both.Working hard and paycheque to paycheque is no way to live,especially in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Move abroad for a few years. I did it best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭victor8600

Your salary should increase at least to cover the inflation. In the last 2 years, it's ~5% per annum. If your salary did not increase to cover the inflation, you are basically taking a free pay cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is no harm in asking but I wouldn't be saying give it to me or else.

There is a bigger picture though if the rent increase has meant you are going to go into debt maybe it's the career you both have that is the issue as well, especially if it's the type of career when you would struggle to get a job outside of Dublin.

Any company I know its between 2 and 3%. Never heard of a company going 5% every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

Mine is based on your impact. 10% if you have the highest impact rating. 5% for satisfactory. Feck all if you're not performing to their standards and like most big companies external hires get paid a LOT more than internal hires.

OP if you're reading this as we're approaching the new year would you give some thought to your future in Dublin? As others have said what will you do if the gf gets pregnant? If one of you loses a job? If one of you gets sick? I'm also from the middle of the country. My parents are working class and have no money to give us any dig outs so Dublin just didn't work for me either. Was living week to week, had no space or privacy (house share with 4 others), tried delivering food at night but the tax just ate up that and I got nowhere. I was afraid of moving home because I thought I'd be a failure. Long story short, I travelled first - Canada and a year in the US before coming home and getting a job that lets me work remotely and my life is better by every measure. You couldn't drag me back to Dublin for anything less than about 75K.

I lived in Vancouver and Philadelphia. Not cheap places especially Vancouver but Dublin is just brutal because the wages aren't there for most people. If you're dead set on Dublin I'd start looking at your jobs and what potential they have. Could these turn into well paying jobs, are there good opportunities for advancement? The 200 quid you'd get now is a patch job.

If things are that bad surely you won’t be saved with €46 extra a week before tax? I think you’re hoping for the best but maybe the best is just to call a spade a spade and dip. Things are getting more expensive not cheaper & I suspect you’ll be in the exact same situation this time next year if not sooner even with a pay increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭victor8600

Such companies do exist, speaking from the personal experience (in IT). With promotions and rising bonuses, it is possible to get an average 5% pre-tax annual income increase <insert a link to a Python course here> ;)

Well we won't be getting pregnant as were extremely careful in that regards. I don't see going home as a failure, there just noting there job wise. It's a tough spot were not sure what to do honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭backwards_man

My advice would be to look around to see what is a good market rate for the work you do. Talk to a recruitment company in your sector, they will quickly tell you if you are unselling yourself. I know you like where you work but if it does not pay the bills you need to change your lifestyle or get a job that pays more. Just look around, talk to recruiters, you are under no obligation to take it any further. Until you know whats possible in terms of salary you dont know what to say to your manager. Go to a few interviews, see whats out there, then you can make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

To be honest OP, I wouldn't care if it sounded like 'give me a pay rise or else'... if you don't get it, it's likely you'll need to leave anyway and if you do, then who cares. You should write down the facts and figures for how your circumstances have changed.. as one poster above mentioned, 5% general inflation is a good start to break even but it should also adjusted for your rent increase / a some form of salary increase based on the going market rate.

Unless you management have been living under a rock for the past few years and are totally oblivious to the news, I think they'll understand the pressure you're under once you explain the circumstances. The simple fact is if you leave, chances are the person coming after you wont be able to afford to take the job and that could cause them even more problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Statistically women are less likely to try negotiate a pay rise. It's one of the reasons there's a gender pay gap. Men tend to be more assertive and forthcoming about their earnings and worth in the workplace.

As a person who manages people professionally, I can tell you that no manager dislikes having this conversation. It's just part of the job. Raise it in a professional tone and you'll be given a fair answer. Hopefully one that suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

This is proven in many psychological studies. Women are more agreeable then men and as such don't fair as well when it comes to pushing for pay rises which is a factor in the gender pay gap

Advertisement