Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh Wifi

Options
  • 14-10-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

I thought this was a good video to demo why although mesh wifi is good to get decent wifi signal in hard to reach corners of your house. If at all possible you should always hard wire the access points if possible to get the best throughput.

Check out around 07:45 where he does a speed test using mesh and then when he hard wires them in. Spoiler alert! double the speed

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

anyone recommend a good mesh product for Starlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey Eco. Thanks for that video. I received my Eir Smart Wi-Fi hubs yesterday. Set up instructions were pretty rubbish but have managed to get them set up today as I wanted them.

I was able to set them up wirelessly but as my house has Ethernet throughout, I wanted to wire them. I couldn't find anything about how they should be connected to the network but looked again after seeing your post from Linus and said i would have another go.

Was pretty easy in the end but just had to think about it. I had to wire the two hubs together through the internal wiring, rather than having them connected to each other through the router. Just have one patch cable from the first hub to the switch/patch panel then directly from the ethernet socket where I wanted the second hub, to the hub itself.

Hopefully that can help someone else who is in the same boat as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Interesting, I’ve seen report of some user here, he was claiming that Eir Smart Hub doesn’t support Ethernet backhaul, you could plug it in , but they will use wireless connections between each other anyway.

Could you confirm otherwise?

I can confirm that this worked for me. I was able to log into the hub on my network and on the status page it had both hubs, and said they were connected over ethernet.

You are going to think now that I am mistaken now after what came next, because after trying to solve an issue with my Google Hub I ended up resetting it and I can't seem to get it working again. I can connect to the first hub which is connected to the router over ethernet, and I seem to have internet access, but not to all sites for some reason. It will connect to YouTube and search on Google, but I am getting a DNS error when I try to connect to Eir's site for example, and speedtest.net won't connect either.

Second hub hasn't connected over ethernet since either, despite resetting and restarting multiple times.

I am after spending 2 hours setting it up and resetting it again as I can't replicate what I had working only yesterday. I am very near the point of putting it away until I can get FTTH from Eir which was installed in our estate in June/July, but is not available to order yet.

It even shows up as available on the openEir map, but doesn't show up on their line checker yet.

As I said, you are going to think that I didn't get it connected over ethernet at all yesterday, but somehow i did as it was reflected in the hub status page. Should have took a screenshot but wasn't expecting all these issues after having it all set up successfully.

Have since been able to fix the DNS issue just by rebooting and reconnecting it one final time for some reason so that is one less issue. Still haven't managed to connect the second hub over ethernet so I am now officially doubting myself.

• Advertisement

OK, here the post on different thread.

I actually would like to try those Eir Smart Hubs , they seems to be decent by specs ( WiFi 6 etc) and very affordable at the same time .

It is hard to know what’s the real life figures as I couldn’t find any reviews on those . ( worthwhile reading review I meant)

Could you try it to connect directly, without using switches ? It is more just for the experimental sake really.

Thanks for that. I could swear it was working yesterday, but as I said, I am now doubting myself. I will try again this evening to get it set up over ethernet but if i can't I will just set the wireless up again.

Have to say I like it when it works, but the setup has been difficult at times where doing the same thing multiple time, doesn't give the same results. Also the support online is very poor. Nearly nothing out there apart from Eir's pathetic support for the device.

It is made by Sagemcom

you might have luck to find something on foreign forums.

Sagemcom F@st286 same hub only for Vodafone France I think

https://support.sagemcom.com/en/gateways/fst-286-vodafone-super-wifi?language_content_entity=en

Appreciate that. I will try and connect them directly this evening, bypassing the switch etc. Will let you know how it goes. As I said, it seems to be a bit funny with something working once then not the next time but that will be a very simple test that I can perform easily. Leave it with me.

• Advertisement

It started working again over Ethernet after initially connecting directly before moving it to its final location.

Took a screenshot from my phone to show the setup according to the device itself.

It is great news, hopefully you’ll get FTTH soon!

Thank you. Appreciate that! I would imagine it should be soon enough. As I said, it's live all around us and the engineers that installed the fibre in the estate in June/July said it would be only a few months.

Bit frustrating but I am a lot luckier than some others. We currently have 95 or so down and 20 up as we are very close to that cab but we stream so much and Xbox games still take a significant amount of time to download with the above. Looking forward to being able to clear out my harddrive when I will be able to download any game as I want it.

I know the feeling, I was so happy to get 1Gb down/100Mbs up year ago and probably even happier 2 years ago 300 Mbps from sh*tty fixed wireless.

Advertisement