Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC - Would you believe it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There's probably an element of students and free stuff to this story and that probably hides the student union's point a bit. I was in UCC in the mid 2000s and you could rent a room for about €300 a month at the time. I saw in the comment sections of various news outlets covering the story from parents of UCC students saying they were paying €800 plus for a room. Rent today accounts for a much higher proportion of income than it used to for everyone, students included. It would have been much easier in the mid 2000s to rent a room on a student's part time wage than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They used rob them when they weren't locked away, it wasn't as if students couldn't afford them. If only they had a system where those deserving of it got the food and not just a big free for all.

Maybe the students living it up could help out their less well off comrades?

Or maybe the local residents would help out? (when they are not in the courts trying to get an injunction)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There has always been a disparity between what students could afford. I went to UCC in the late 80’s/early 90’s and had friends who lived in absolute dives on College road while others lived in the new Brookfield/Castlewhite apartments. When I moved out to train in CUH, some friends the only meal they got was the subsidised food in the Hospital canteen. So students who don’t have enough money is not new, it shouldn’t happen, but it isn’t new.

I heard the UCC SU president being interviewed about this on Newstalk, unfortunately she did herself no favours and was factually incorrect about a number of issues. Notably, she said students in UCC/Ireland pay more than any third level students in Europe, they don’t.

• Advertisement

I also went to UCC in the 80's and remember Prof Connell Fanning during one of his lectures referring to the "penniless student living in the garret". Apparently this is not acceptable now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm afraid that my old fashioned brain struggles with the concept of impoverished students owning cars.

System error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭notAMember

I feel for anyone in poverty. Full time study is hard enough without also trying to juggle food and accommodation. But I'm also incredulous at a car in college? I didn't even KNOW anyone with a car, let alone have one. We used buses, old bike. Cars are an absolute fortune. Insurance, tax, tyres, maintenance, fuel, parking. Buying and running a car for a year could easily be 6k.

Are digs not a thing anymore? This was where you were living with a family, 5 days a week and went home at the weekend. Dinner and breakfast was usually included. Tended to be cash in hand...

I reckon there's a fair amount of students taking advantage of the situation who aren't in need of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A lot less digs around this year due to COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Some students are commuting long distances because they can't find, or can't afford, accommodation in the city. They can come to Cork for necessary face-to-face classes and do the online classes from home.

Rent was cheap back in the day, and you didn't need a car if you were living in the city.

But nowadays running a car at €6k a year could work out cheaper than paying up to €9k for accommodation, assuming you can even find accommodation.

[quote]students in UCC/Ireland pay more than any third level students in Europe, they don’t[/quote]

As far as I know, our fees are the highest in the EU, which might be what she meant to say. Fees are higher in England however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

She said “Europe” and excluding our nearest neighbour would be odd even if she meant EU, the fees were higher in England even before Brexit when they were part of EU.

When I was there, classmates travelled from Mallow, Kanturk and Clonakilty daily that I can think of, commutes are not a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well said , think majority of UCC students aren’t pissing it nightly, my own kid works in Dunnes aswell as being a student and between work , study and football him and his mates get out maximum once a forthright and none of them are in rental accommodation, I’d hate for him to be struggling like some from outside the city who are stuck in the hyped up rental market and are juggling bills with living

That’s a great point ref not a free fir all giveaway

For

Advertisement