Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC - Would you believe it?

Options
  • 07-10-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

I don't know, but I remember when I went to UCC as a student you would never and I mean never, give up good drinking money for food, especially when the food could be got for free!

Have things changed that much with students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the notice.

I don't believe it's a reflection on how poor students are but rather a sign that young people love free stuff!

More money for fun stuff!

Edit : I'm not saying that there aren't any students seriously struggling - there always have been seriously poor students and, no doubt, there always will be. I just don't believe that this food bank and its popularity are reliable indicators of said poverty.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If there is one thing that puts the fear of God into this government its the student population of this country having an organised protest, and something like this could be the catalyst for a big student protest that will gather massive momentum on housing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I would agree that students love free stuff. Some things never change 😁. Its getting some headlines all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jesus lads would you cop on to yourselves with this. Student rents are insanely high, I've seen places going for €900 per month for a room. That's more than many would pay in a mortgage.

When I was college going age it cost me €260 or so a month for a room (2004) here in Cork. Granted it was a dive but still. The sheer amount these kids are paying out is absolutely bonkers like.

So you don’t think that it’s being over hyped a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

Utter scabs. Taking food from where its deserved so they can go to on the piss. Have a gander around the general UCC area on a thursday night and tell me these students are short of money for gatt. Queues outside Cissie Youngs, Anne Macs, Galvins offie.

And always buying the cheapest shite they can just to get pissed. Lived on Barrack Street and UCC students were a bunch of **** pricks. Pissing on my door, knocking over bins, smashing wing mirrors.

Cunts away from mammy and daddy for the first time and **** everybody else.

Oh and if Prick gets a conviction he won't get his visa to the the US so the Gardai leave it for them to be a prick abroad too.

UCC need to clamp down HARD and make an example of a few to get across that this is unacceptable.

Bars, cafes etc crying out for staff. Half of these freeloaders would be laughing at the notion. 18 months of students who maybe made 100-150 at best of a week in a part time job suddenly being paid 350euro for sitting on their hole. **** disgrace. and yes I worked all the way through Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They didn't have trouble paying the rents for their house party venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah now, don't deny them their university 'experience'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

You do realise there are 20k+ students in UCC alone right? And another 10k or so in MTU in Bishopstown. Are you saying every single one of those 30k students in UCC/MTU go on the piss daily and spend all their money on food and drink? Every one of them broke wing mirrors, pissed on your door and cause hassle for the Gardai? Way to tar everyone with one brush. Not everybody gets pissed on slabs or vodka daily. Within this 30k population there will be at least 100 people who struggle to get food, and there is definitely more then 100

You do realise there is multiple groups within UCC alone that have weekly clean up events where they go around to all the local areas and clean up all the cans etc which have been left over by those students you mention.

As for the 350 a week, students were taken off the PUP at the start of the academic year and most students wouldn't have been getting the 350 a week anyway. Many of the students I know have moved to call centres etc where hours are more guaranteed.

A bit of cop on please

Source: A student in UCC.

I suppose for the 100 or so affected, finding a job is out of the question?

They might have a job? They could have other commitments that you don't know of, repayments you don't know of, they could have a disability which stops them from being able to get a traditional 'student' job, same as any person.

.People have different circumstances and are in University to try and better themselves in order to get an even better job.

We also do not know the age of these students, assuming they are young and on the piss is unfair. UCC has thousands of mature students attending lectures daily as well, could just as easily be them seeking support.

Post edited by SleetAndSnow on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

A good lesson in the university of life, nothings free, if you want it, earn it.

Cynical me believes this is just another publicity stunt by a jumped up students union

Not saying that some very small number could not be, for various reasons genuinely affected. What I am saying is that the food bank shenanigan's seems to be nothing more than an over hyped, publicity stunt.

exactly what it is. Offer a UCC first year a can of beer or a can of beans and guess what they'll take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

On a different campus (Dublin) I have noticed people are sleeping in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Jesus I could never afford a car until well after I finished college and was working a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I remember the toilet rolls being padlocked to the wall of the toilet cubicles in one college. I dunno if they do it in them all :-)

Was that the hard paper, Oifig an tSoláthair version? Great for tracing out things in school😁

• Advertisement

If only they stopped spending all their money on drink!!! etc etc...

🙄 *pacman emote* <-- miss this one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The state of the comments on here. Shame on ye. There is a LOT of students struggling.

Are you seriously saying students are choosing to sleep in their cars just so they can have drink? Or am I misunderstanding, apologies if I am but if I am not then that is a disgraceful comment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I've a friend who's currently going to UL living in his car. Can't afford accommodation. Comes home on the weekends to work in a bar in town. Same situation exists in Cork.

No, just responding to your original vacuous comment........

If only they stopped spending all their money on drink!!! etc etc...

with an equally vacuous response😁

I would have assumed that from reading my other replies on the thread and with the emojis I used, that you would have understood it to be sarcasm 🙃

And I couldn't have expected the same from you? Or does a sense of humour only run one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement

Advertisement