Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The humblebragging dishonesty of LinkedIn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sorry to digress but it does remind me of the funny story of Moss Keane and Ciaran Fitzgerald.

Ireland are playing England I think 1982, the triple crown win year.

Anyway Ciaran Fitz being revolutionary captain is all things psychological.

He keeps telling the pack to FOCUS, FOCUS.

Moss eventually turns round to someone and says "why does he keeps saying Fook Us, Fook Us?"

Can't imagine old Moss being on Linkedin. 😁

You're just jealous that us white collar workers get paid way more without rolling around in filth. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't know about that.

Would an average white collar workers take home pay be higher than a plumber for example? Do you know how much in demand trades peoples day rate is? That's not even considering a few cash in hand scenarios.

If I was a young lad deciding what to do in life and was motivated by money I'd be getting into a trade. The demand for the foreseeable future is going to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

A big part of this comes down to the education system. It's geared towards pushing people into third level, especially university. There's a load of people who aren't capable or interested in pursuing acadamia and they should also be supported and offered training in something that interests them.

I, thankfully have a good paying job that I enjoy but it took me a good while and a load of money (£30k+ in student loans debt) to get here. At the same time I finished university friends from school had trades jobs and were doing well for themselves and I was working a minimum wage call centre job because there were far more graduates than suitable jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look LinkedIn is merely proof that the overall quality of human beings who inhabit this country and indeed planet probably over the last 20 or more years has regressed significantly…state of some of the absolute dweebs and the shît they post about their jobs jesus fûckin Christ..

in my 24 years, gainfully employed never on a single occasion did I post a photo, write an article or opinion piece from or about my work to be put on social media…there are no photos on my Facebook, Instagram or any other social media… about my jobs….taken at jobs, with work colleagues etc…zilch.

its, work…I did it / do it to pay my way and to enable my enjoyment of life…. so I can run a car, get a couple of holidays a year and pay for whatever… meals out, gigs, travelling etc, means to an end…

the absolute godshiteery, noise, lies, arrogance posted on LinkedIn by an array of absolutely bewildered boring bell end artists is chronic…. One ex colleague even has his job title as in an alluding to him holding a management position in the company, he’s closer to holding a sweeping brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I saw this thread and I looked up a guy who is married to a friend of mine because he was notorious for biging himself up about his jobs.

Sure enough I found him on linkedin.

Says he isd a CTO, which he is of a 2 man company that hasnt made any money in 5 years. Alongside a professional looking photo of him in the thinking man pose.

He also works as a consultant for a web company. That means that he does the odd day here and there contracting for them. And he also has another job as a "keynote speaker". He goes to meetings and bullsh!ts for 20 minutes. The same people go to them all and take turns giving speeches and then tweeting about each others fantastic presentations. Its like a circle jerk. I was at one of them once. Couldnt bring myself to go to another one.

His wife was bending our ears only about 3 months ago that she wants someone to give him a kick so he starts making some money because they are in debt up to their eyeballs.

If you looked at his twiiter and linked in you would think he was the most succesful person ever to come out of the town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have to admit, it's completely beyond me why people would choose to blow their trumpet about their work achievements and networks on an optional social media platform designed purely to facilitate job hunting and work-related networking?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Over active **** on LinkedIn. I'm on the platform for as long as I can recall. Mainly used more recently to keep up with the developments of the various arms of the large multi i work for and to often put a face to a name on a professional level with people I interact with daily

But, there are these people that must use the platform like Facebook, they're forever posting bollocks on it daily. "Going forward" and "focus' dick heads

I've never once posted a status update

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Arms..

It's what happens when Asians make phones for people with potato digging hands

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Network engineering isn’t a 3rd level course it’s an amalgamation of certification, although such certification with an engineering degree would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I always looked at LinkedIn as a recruitment version of TripAdvisor, full of Glowing testimonials, Marketing Bait and ultimately unbelievable nonsense, almost a Facebook of sorts for those seeking as many fictious friends and likes so to speak.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I am so grateful for the wonderful colleagues at Boards Software Ltd for giving me this fantastic opportunity to express my thoughts on such a well read and widely respected forum. I feel empowered to share my unique insight into, what some esteemed colleagues would refer to as, "faeces posting".

People on LinkedIn post in a paragraph what most would say in one line. #empowered #grateful #keynote poster

Doctors aren't really on LinkedIn either, and some of them they do like to blow their own trumpets. I also suspect, they are too busy actually working.

I am connected with an actual anti vaxxer and covid denier on LinkedIn. They are making themselves unemployable by posting their conspiracy theories on it. It's kind of sad to watch really, but watch it I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

It can be a red flag when people have a long list of jobs, that each in itself doesn’t last very long, or who hold multiple roles. They haven’t stayed around anywhere long enough to impress. Decades ago (more the job for life era really) this certainly would be seen as a big red flag that speaks of a potential employee’s limited endurance ; but in more recent times it seems to be more commonplace with contract work. I often wonder how mortgage lending institutions look on it though, especially if the roles are not consistently more senior in progression. Then nowadays, job titles are so confusing and vague that it is difficult to evaluate a career progression. American companies have hilarious job/grade titles like “Vice President” which described someone who seemed to just about pay basic rent whilst holding down that job. 😂

I really haven’t worked out how it all goes these times on LinkedIn. Imagine asking a young child “what do you want to be when you grow up?” And they answered (now I’m going to look up LinkedIn for inspiration)

”Grandad, when I grow up I’d like to be a Global Recruiting Operations Leader”.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Corporations have figured out you can motivate people without any additional cost by giving them fancy job titles. It makes the employee feel important, and they fit in as a cog in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

Isnt it a bit ironic trying to play the superiority card on .....Boards

Like i dont really pay attention to Linkedin but ive gotten work from it i wouldnt have otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Everybody’s job title seems to suggest leadership, “Lead….” “Senior…” “Manager….” “Director….” “Chief….”, nobody is anything but exceptional, highly motivated, hard-working (between many contributions on Boards etc 😂), dedicated. There’s no sure thing as ordinary, bog standard.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Met a lad once at a party, he was home from the US and kept showing people his payslip. I kind of laughed it off as late night drunkeness until I realised it must have been premeditated. The payslip was a hard-copy, he consciously decided to bring it out with him that night 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Money is good in trades right now but you'll be a broke man at 50 if you're doing that all the time. No one really knows if the good money will still be there in 10 years time either.

It's why people look younger now these days when in their 70s etc. Because manual labour really knocks it out of you.

I think anyone left posting on boards has a bit of a want in them

Many ignore this little fact, my father is a plasterer and has made nice money but he paid for that in his fifties and now sixties. Im a software developer and my life is soft and easy compared to him.

Why would a young lad choose to be physically broken later in life to earn similar/less money than a easy physically job ill never know.

Im all for lads/girls doing trades, but lets not sell it as the better option for most it isnt at all

It is an interesting point often forgotten. Your body will pay as a tradesman, and that is a tough toll. Notwithstanding this, Ireland does need for get a reality check and start respecting trades a la master craftsman style in Germany. And to earn such respect trades also need to up their game (decent booking systems, turning up on time etc).

Thank you for such an engaging post. I'll be posting on many exciting threads in the future, so feel free to add me as a connection here and thank my posts to give your profile more of a global reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

It's important when you're a man to point out you identify as a man and are definitely not a woman. In case anyone in your office gets confused.

It is the most inefficient way of ensuring you don't cause offence to someone who may identify as another gender, that is not inherently obvious from their name. Whilst this may only affect an extremely small sub percentage of the population, the woke powers that be have decided to start encouraging everyone to place such a tag after their name. Now, for it to truly work, you would inherently need 100% sign-ups, which is not going to happen.

Perhaps, a more effective way would be for someone facing such an issue to put a little tag after their email signature stating "I identify as a man" or maybe, just maybe, they could revert to Mr. or Ms./Mrs. before their name (I assume that's why Mrs. O'Bumble does this on boards). Or, maybe, maybe, they could use gender obvious versions of their name, for example Patrick/Patricia instead of Pat. But, no, let's just do this woke virtue signaling tripe that doesn't actually really work.

If I was plotting and planning my future as a young man now,I'd be getting into a trade,working hard,listening and learning and making the big bucks for the foreseeable after getting an apprenticeship.

I'd hope that I'd see enough crocked auld lads throughout that work that I'd be smart enough to not be doing it myself by late 30s (ie have a crew working for me)

My family are all construction based, the ones in the trades are fucked, the ones in the design are not. Its easier for example to head to the gym after a working day in the office to get your exercise in.

In construction while improvements happen its a lot more than back issues that exist. My father for example hands are fucked from working with plaster for so long, he went out of his way to ensure none of us followed him into trade

• Advertisement

Id be betting against you and in your 50s you would still be out in the rain doing the same thing you were in your 20s

Advertisement