Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what is these data centres

Options
  • 29-09-2021 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

What the heck is these data centres sucking the energy out of the country. What do they do ?

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This website is hosted in a data centre. All the pictures/videos you see on Instagram/Tiktok/whatever are hosted in a data centre.

Anything and everything you do online requires servers and switches in data centres.

They are cheaper to run here than many other countries as the country is quite cold and it significantly reduces the need for air conditioning - which is one of the main costs. It also makes them more environmentally efficient here than elsewhere - unless we end up burning coal to produce their power!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The big ones enable the likes of Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Google provide the services that they do. Other ones enable Spotify, YouTube etc etc.

Most DCs in this country are owned and operated by the big tech companies, which also not surprisingly have major offices here

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Then they want us all to drive electric cars, what a joke this country is turning into. We are going down plughole!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eirgrids consumption predictions include the electric car switchover; and electrification of trains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ireland is also socially, politically, geologically, and climactically very stable, as well as being the landing point for several trans-Atlantic data cables, all of which add up to being an attractive place for this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Old - Cavan - man yells at cloud.

Exactly, our climate and geographical environment is absolutely perfect for Data Centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Do you like posting on boards.ie, or other forums?

When was the last time you logged onto facebook, or watched a YouTube video, or bought something on Amazon or some other website?

These sorts of activities require infrastructure like data centers. It's very easy to complain about the high energy consumption but are you willing to change the way you live in order to reduce our dependence on them? Or are you OK with them existing, but just not in your back yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Amazing. Nine minutes between not knowing what a data centre is, and being an expert on national energy policy. Education is truly a wondrous thing

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

He must have done some searching in that big search engine in the sky - which is actually hosted in a data centre in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wait till someone tells him Google searches have a carbon footprint.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Few things about data centers is that static electricity is their enemy, a static charge can wipe a lot of systems, with this in mind they all have to be fairly "clean air", not clean room level but fully air-conned, because it doesn't have to have the temperature changed it's a lot cheaper here than other countries but still a factor. They also need clean power, this means that the power has to be at a standard level, slight changes can wipe out a lot of tech, doesn't make a difference to a lot of systems but IT systems don't like browning, with this in mind power to these plants always go through UPS systems to keep them standard, think of filling a water tank with a hose before starting the tap, by having the tank inbetween the hose and tap means that the water flow will always be constant, bigger the tank the bigger the drop in water that can be allowed for.

Data centers are usually just big warehouses filled with server racks, the management/maintenance of the actual content of the servers could be done anywhere in the world so often the only jobs in the actual data centers are janitors or maybe people to swop out failed hardware, mightn't seem like much but considering these are 24/7 operations with 1,000s of systems this can take a lot of people to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Janitors is a bit of a push, they generally have electricians or mechanical guys on site 24/7 along with security. They’d all pretty much have techs on site mon-Friday too performing other works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

True, true, I should have said maintenance workers rather than janitors. For a lot of data centers which are outsourced the onsite owners won't be allowed access to the actual servers just the hardware.

Ok I have read all the comments, what's in it for the government to have these here. There is always an end game. It's not like these DC are major employers in server filled warehouses.

Why don't they use them wind turbines? Near the coastline, them things nearly take off.

I personally hate electric cars. Many people share this feeling. They have taken the lead out of petrol and I don't feel that petrol cars are adding a great deal to the pollution of the world.

Getting back to DC , our government don't like charging for tax to these big techs, or Apple and their 13 billion tax bill.

I find it very baffling indeed. I could live without Amazon and Facebook, maybe keep Google, but I don't think our youngsters could survive with their smartie phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All these date centres should be told either

pay a significant new green levy charge based on their size and energy footprint

or

pull the plug and close them down

they add nothing of value to ireland yet are sucking and draining our little country’s electricity resources

Yes I agree with them draining the country. What gets my goatie up watching that news on telly is Eamonn Ryan coming to work on his bike. He probably parked the big car around the corner and took the bike out of the boot to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So much there. I don't know where to begin to counter the wind up sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I too would like to complain about data centres whilst using the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know Eamon through mutual friends and I have to say sorry now that is an unfair comment.

he is a committed green and a very deep thinker on green politics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just a pity he doesn't live in the real world - some of his comments are beyond belief.

He is a yuppie that does care about the working people that can't afford a electric and all this carbon tax.

I find it quite bizarre how some cant conceive of the internet being an actual physical thing requiring bricks and mortar and energy.

Use Google - data centre, Amazon - data centre, boards - data centre, on line banking - data centre, any other thing you do online - data centre, phone network - data centre, Netflix - data centre. No matter what you can think of the data to support it is stored in a data centre, bar maybe a few small operations working off local servers.

Now you can argue that these centres should not be here, be they are needed somewhere, and they are more energy efficient here than in most other places in the world. And its not as if they get their energy for free.

I personally don't mind the data centres but why can't the use wind turbines

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They are for storing our strategic reserve of cat videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

They employ a lot of people in the construction industry. Without the constant demand for data centres I don't believe the construction industry would be booming the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I think they should just get rid of these power hungry data centres and put all the data in the cloud 🤔

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭eggy81

Great for the bit of auld electrical work though. Nice to be employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭eggy81

We’ve seen him deep in meditation in the dail more than once.

Advertisement