Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 30's and hurt all the time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I agree running can be super efficient but there is no doubting its hard on the body.

Its important to move regularly. You have to make being active a priority. I have incorporated yoga in recent years and I definitely feel the benefit. There are so many options for home workouts now. You could do the yoga at home and then use the gym for swimming? weights on the gym floor.

It sounds like your body could do with focusing on stretching and loosening out before anything else. I would also second seeing someone if you have an old back injury.

Nutrition cant be ignored. You need to be feeding your body what it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Sounds like lactic acidosis on a cellular level. Drop cooking oil and carbs for a month see if any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Fair enough throwing up suggestions but diagnosing and offering medical advice is overstepping the line.

This is not a medical advice not at all. Lactic acidosis well known state in bodybuilding world. And if someone said take that much protein or eat that much calories per day that's OK and if I said drop carbs for a while somehow became medical advice? 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh OP I'm just a bit older than you. Two small kids and I get alot more out of hillwalking or forest walking than I do running. Off walk for an hour and listen to a podcast. I do run possibly twice a week. But I walk 7 times a week only for between 45 mins and an hour.

Coupled with a better approach to diet and what foods I'm putting in I've had huge results in lethargy and have no injuries from it at all. I personally think the difference between the run and walk is pretty negligible with my overall approach. I only do the runs to blow out some steam the odd time.

I'd say I'm fitter right now than I've been in over three years and previous to that I would have been doing a mix of exercise. Gym, weights, cycling, TRX. Was all a bit much.

Maybe try changing your intake and dial it back a bit. Slow the pace down let your body recover for a few weeks and see how it changes.

Your body is throwing warning signs at you so listen to it and adjust .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

There's a reason people in their 30s retire from professional sports and have to be managed a lot more in terms of what they can produce and how often.

Those limitations carry over to normal people to. In your 30s you need to concious that there is a very strong chance your approach to your training needs to be dropped to accommodate the increased wear and tear on your body. Approach can either cover how often/how intense your training is and/or how much rest/recovery/maintence your body needs.

Rest and sleep are difficult to adjust with kids. How often you training and how intense isn't. To me it's an easy and obvious choice.

The biggest change I had to make as I've gotten through my 30s is be much aware how much the foundation on what I've built on starts to matter. Just like a house, if you've build it on a dodgy foundation you might not notice it for 10-15 years but eventually the cracks will appear.

My body has been similar. I now spend far more time on mobility work than intense sessions. I realised that training less often to less intensity all year around is more enjoyable than training sporadically because I'm managing injuries.

I'd swap out the stretches for mobility for and one of the running days too. As you progress with the mobility and get stringers you'll then be able to add the running and intensity too as the foundation will be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Moderate training intensity, poor nutrition, poor sleep. I think the issue is clear tbh.

Lots I’d good intentions above, but missing the basics. Running 10-15km a week is not a lot. Training a lot, without from sleep and nutrition you’ll be sore.

Not doing any sort of mobility work and you’ll be rusty some days. Fix those 3 items first imo.

Of course it’s medical advice. Your recommendation is proposed treatment for a diagnosis you pulled out if thin air.

And there’s really not enough info to make such a diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,820 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you go to the gym you can go to the pool... it’s AT the gym... you’ll spend a similar duration of time moving between equipment as dressing / undressing / drying.... just shower when you get home..

go on YouTube / online resources and learn some hydrotherapy exercises that relate to improving / resolving / managing your health issue / physicality.

Hydrotherapy is tailor made for helping as the water takes load bearing off your joints.

All my favourites are here welcome back from covid hibernation

Medical and personal advice, even if the advice concerns medical care two different animals.

Hmm if Mellor advice me of taking protein shake before or after workout should I consider this to be Medical advice or personal opinion?

I'm not pushed on whether its classed as medical advice or not.

Its silly advice, primarily because you've advised someone who runs 5k two or three times a week and does boxing based on something you think is relevant to bodybuilders.

Apart from the content, you've given advice based on bodybuilders to someone who primarily runs.

I could distill all of your 'advice' to "give up carbs"

My response was to Patsy that lactic acidosis is not a diagnose rather well known state in the sport word (bodybuilding, running, jamping, etc)

Obviously OP have some body inflammation and here is my two cents see GP or try to give up cooking oil and carbs for 1 month to see the difference.

I am sure Alf you could distill all of my 'advice' to "give up carbs" but what should we do if most of nowadays illnesses directly link to Sugar & Omega-6 overload.

Your advice is based on broscience from bodybuilders for an OP who primarily runs.

Read the OP if you want to advise.

If I advised you to eat more protein in order to facilitate building more muscle. That would be dietary advice.

If I advised you to eat more protein because you might have hypoproteinemia (that I diagnosed over boards), that would be medical advice. Its pretty simple.

And even if medical advice was permitted, post would still be absolute nonsense.

My response was to Patsy that lactic acidosis is not a diagnose rather well known state in the sport word (bodybuilding, running, jamping, etc)

Obviously OP have some body inflammation and here is my two cents see GP or try to give up cooking oil and carbs for 1 month to see the difference.

Lactate acidosis is a metabolic condition caused by cancer, diabetic acidosis, sepsis, lever disease etc. It can also be caused by overtraining, which is exceedingly rare. The symptoms are burning muscles, nausea , cramps, jaundice skin. There would be pain during and after training, not days later (DOMS). It's diagnosed with a bloodtest.

OP has really none indication of that. So suggesting it on the information given is nonsense. And even if they did have it. Giving up carbs and cooking oil is a terrible suggestion. As introducing ketones to the blood would increase acidity.

Another clear case of repeating something from google without understanding it.

Post edited by Mellor on

Mellor you just indicated that you have no knowledge in sporting field that you can educate me on except probably protein shakes. Lactate acidosis is what happening to muscle when contracting and relaxing due to running, lifting weight and other sporting activities.

Sure enough chronic Lactate acidosis could lead to a diseases that you have listed but that's different story.

Stop copy/paste Wikipedia Mellor 😃

Post edited by markmoto on

well this escalated quickly :-D :-D

mods can prob close this thread now

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice and tips, and to all those aspiring armchair doctors, keep on truckin!

Now to get me some anabolics

Not at all they just like to prove me wrong. I love them all. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭karlitob

What hurts? / Where do you hurt?

What brings it on? What relieves it?

• Advertisement

Well, it's not very difficult to prove you wrong. As you constantly post complete waffle.

Mellor you just indicated that you have no knowledge in sporting field that you can educate me on except probably protein shakes.

LMAO At this point I'm not even sure you are not a bot troll account.

Lactate acidosis is what happening to muscle when contracting and relaxing due to running, lifting weight and other sporting activities.

Nope. Your thinking of lactic acid. A normal process and not remotely the same as lactate acidosis. Acidosis and Acid are different words 😉

Sure enough chronic Lactate acidosis could lead to a diseases that you have listed but that's different story.

Also nope. Acidosis is symptom of by cancer, sepsis, lever disease, etc. It cannot lead to those diseases.

Stop copy/paste Wikipedia Mellor

lol. Like I literally said above you are just repeating from google without understanding. A bit of wikipedia might help you.

In short accumulation of lactic acid creates lactic asidosis but isn't the only way. On a cellular level mamals get expose to lactic asidosis on a daily basis.

This is normal cycling process in and out.

However prolong exposure to lactic asidosis we talk years lead to inflammation and bunch of problems.

Acidosis is the accumulation of acid in the blood and tissues. Normal production and using of lactic acid as part of anaerobic system is not acidosis.

You should learn the basics before start trying to lecture others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Longer to burn calories? You'd burn at least 20% more by cycling, by unit of time I mean.

My posts is opinion to help others to research and perhaps find the cure. And not going around to spill out poison like some on this board.

I don't educate anyone but I am glad that my posts make you to read few scientific articles and educate yourself.

🤣🤣🤣

You made an error. Own it and move on. Acid and Acidosis are easy to confuse.

Sure enough you can easy get confused and confuse other readers with all this scientific mess you just created.

Obviously you have no degree in scene not that I blame you for that it just explaining 2 years old kid what 2+2 takes time that I don't have. Good luck and keep reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

FWIW, and i am no expert in anything at all, the soreness fades with consistency. I have been running for many years, and in the last two to three years upped the consistency to make sure i was hitting a certain distance every week. Initially i was sore all the frickin time, legs mainly, but other places too. However, with consistency the soreness wore off and at this stage i have been running every day for almost a year and generally no soreness anywhere except for after the odd really really long (50 plus km run). I do find when i introduce new exercise - HIIT training / squats / other strength exercises i will be sore again for a few days. Again, it wears off once i stick at it. So consistency is key in my opinion.

Hardest part was running on the days when i felt really sore / tired, just made sure to take it really easy those days and often i would feel way better after tow or three km and fly through the rest.

I'm early 40s, so not too far past where you are. I built the running into the daily routine - lunch time mostly or after the kids are in bed in the evening. Long runs start at silly am to have least impact on the family.

Initially i would get asked by my wife 'are you running again today? you ran yesterday!'. Now it's - 'have you been for your run yet? or when are you going for your run?' - it's part of my life now and working well.

So again - consistency ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If he’s training for a while, I think we have to assume the OP can tell the difference between normal DOMS and something else that’s more underlying.

Advertisement