Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking while alone

Options
2»

Comments

Isn't the judging usually done in relation to when it's affecting the drinkers' health though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is just so much wrong in this post in terms of ignorance and denial that I don’t know where to even begin...

Recovering alcoholic myself, nearly 3 years sober at this stage. I would have made a post with a similar opinion about a decade ago when my own drinking was spiraling out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Then again there are people and cultures who drink daily and as many or as more units per week..

the french even it’s not looked down on to have a couple of glasses of wine with your lunch in the canteen and go back working... the global organization I worked for there had bottles of wine beside the cokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Well that’s your experience, not necessarily me or anyone else.

• Advertisement

Apart from culture, there’s a lot of genetics involved in alcoholism, and like a selection of other areas in the world, Ireland seems to have a generous distribution of these genes.

It’s not that enjoying a drink on one’s own leads to alcoholism per se, but that people affected by alcohol use disorder will inevitably drink on their own if they get any alone time to drink. They will seek that alone time whenever possible or when social drinking opportunities (where others are drinking a fair bit too) are denied as there will be nobody there to pass comment on how much is being consumed. The predisposition is already there, although I have heard it said by medical scientists that starting heavy drinking young increases the chances even in those less predisposed as the brain is still developing.

My great-great grandfather died of alcoholism in his 30s, leaving a widow and family. His son, my great-grandfather, took his first drink in his twenties and was noted to say “I liked that way too much, that’s my first and last drink or I will turn into my late father”. Wisely he never did touch another drop and spent his life running the business empire his widowed mother had created in desperation to feed her children.

Advertisement