Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boris Johnson love-bombs HGV drivers to return to work

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Got my letter from the Government yesterday! Inviting me back onto the road. Funnily, it was 'signed' at the bottom by a Baroness, not sure if that would resonate with many of us drivers/former drivers to be honest. Had a good few companies from my past contact me as well via other means, they're absolutely desperate. A lot of visible shortages around my area (relatively rural UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Forget about the brexters and little Englanders for a moment.

It's a symptom of something much wider in English society and creeping in here.

The drift towards privatisation and outsourcing deliberate or not and it is a complex issue.

The cost of training HGV drives and most especially those driving fuel tanks.

If every drive is employed by an agency wants qualified trained and insured drives without having to pay the cost of training, the agencies want someone else to pick up the cost. The rise of agency work is a huge issue

Also, society is changing very few are going into the army because they have no other prospect anymore getting a driving qualification than getting a job when they leave life is not like that anymore.

What do you think is the cause of the whole issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very few are going into the British Army these days because it is massively downsizing.

Life ain't always empty.

That is the further noting to do with the here and now or the recent past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Brexit making things more difficult, or unwelcoming, to us 'immigrants'.

A lot of drivers reaching an age where they can retire. Most of my driver mates are in that age bracket.

Not enough young drivers to take their place as the job isn't seen as attractive anymore. Far easier to clock in and out of some office.

Driving itself not being an attractive career to those of us who are experienced due to town planning, lack of services, the 'squeeze' to get rid of vehicles etc.

I'm the perfect example, I already have full hazardous goods ADR certificate including explosives and radioactives, and tanker. But I choose to work in a workshop instead of life on the road, for most of the reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is actually, numbers have been on the slide for years.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement