Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boris Johnson love-bombs HGV drivers to return to work

Options
  • 26-09-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Can't think of anything more likely to keep me away from work, than this prcik sending me a letter, appealing to me to come back. If I could do anything, however small or trivial, to upset or annoy him, I would, and with the greatest pleasure.

Remember how he clapped with the rest of the UK, to show his appreciation for the NHS staff during the height of the Covid crisis, which he was personally responsible for exaserbating, and he then proceeded to offer them a well below inflation 1% pay rise, for their troubles after the crisis had eased a bit.

The HGV drivers are not going to be as naive as the nurses. I think they'll respond with a unified and far more appropriate response - Fcuk off and show me the money.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10029141/Boris-Johnson-sends-million-morale-boosting-letters-HGV-drivers-calls-pay-rises.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

They are offering big salaries can we irish go over to work there anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ireland and the UK share a Common travel area and are unaffected by Brexit.

On the subject of HGV drivers. That the UK think they may get 5000 drivers in for 12weeks after the way non UK drivers were treated is arrogance of the highest calibre!

Couple that with the current changes proposed to UK licensing? The simple truth is the UK are racing to qualify drivers who won't even be legally able to drive abroad 🤦‍♂️

Shapps has announced reduced testing requirements, increased testing capacity via Army Instructors and all to rush Drivers out the door for the most congested, poor weather, murky period of the year, with an added bonus of extended Tacho/driving hours?

There will be deaths on foot of this bullshit.

Even after all that, they may if the get 5000 in from the EU, reach an additional 9000 drivers some of them dangerously underqualified!

Still leaving them 91k short at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Phil McCann 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

drivers are definitely in a better position at the moment, they need to stick together though, and get as much as they can, and best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Brexit really is a disaster for them. I hope all those little englanders are happy queuing for petrol as their racism got them in to this mess in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ah its a cluster fcuk, they were hoodwinked into it, they ll know all about it, as soon as covid moves on, and it wont be pretty

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst the media and the government lied to the electorate, the electorate allowed themselves to be duped by not informing themselves before the vote and then in the subsequent elections.

There were many out there back in 2016 (and since) who outlined the risks from Brexit and were ridiculed by the media and government but their message was there to be listened to.

The lack of engagement in their national politics by British people in general is what has caused this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

It mightn't suit those on here gloating about Brexit but we aren't too far away from the same craic in Ireland.

There was a haulier head honcho on the news the other day saying the situation here is on a knife edge. If the Brits are now paying top dollar for drivers surely plenty of drivers here will jump ship.

More power to the drivers - the ball is in their court for the first time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Ah now, don't be such a doom monger. I'm sure the UK will do fine outside the EU eventually. There was always going to be some rough waters early on. We need a strong stable UK for Ireland's economy to bounce back after covid, so I wouldn't be wishing too much misfortune on the old enemy.

Some people seem to be having a hard time moving on from the result of a democratic election.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

100k a year did I hear correctly?

mass exodus from here if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of trucks carry produce for stores, supermarkets, ie not 30 tons of muck. My point being that they should be making trailers longer, currently trailer can be 44ft long, make it 55ft long, so for every 3 x 55ft long trailer, one truck is taking off the road, less drivers needed, and good for the environment, while keeping the weight limit the same, a truck load of clothes weights nothing, or Cornflakes, or shoes, or pillows ect. So much of what is hauled is very light, nowhere near the 44 ton limit. Longer trailers equals less drivers and less pollution. Kelloggs have trucks leaving their factory in uk non stop, they'd need far less trucks with longer trailers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would your extra long trucks be able to negotiate most bends in the road?

Would they be allowed out of GB?

Given that drivers will have less ability to drive with the new testing system, how will giving them an even bigger trailer to pull work out in terms of road safety?

Also, just because they may be less bad for the environment than regular HGV trailers does not mean that they are good for the environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apt.

Though a very different scenario and different personalities, brings me right back to the 80s with Thatcher and the coal miners. This will be a major legacy for Boris, and Farage the fire-starter is nowhere to be seen. Britain is in for a very tough ride, and that doesn’t bode well for us either. A real winter of discontent ahead as I indicated when I started a different thread to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The electorate in Ireland are be no better informed than our British counterparts

The death of journalism causes stuff like this

no doom mongering going on here, we re currently watching the true affects of when a country leaves its main trading partners, this wont be good for any of us, especially the uk. yes we all do indeed need a strong uk economy, but for some time, this probably isnt going to occur, and this in turn will be an issue for us all.

ive no problem at all at accepting a 'democratic' vote, but the reality is, the voting public were actually bullsh1tted by brexiters

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I agree that eventually the UK will stabalise. Im not so sure about ireland/uk trade. This is a huge chance for eu retailers to get ties with ireland (and versa)

Once the supply chains are setup, its difficult to move them.

most of our trade is done with the eu anyway, the uk only accounts for a very small percentage, we ve well moved on from our past of the uk being our primary trade partner

Yeah I agree. I don't think trade with the UK will drop to nothing, but it will shrink considerably over the next few years.

Just from a personal perspective, with the whole head melter of customs charges, I made a decision to try buy Irish more often a while back. Then I realized why we've all been buying cheap stuff from amazon uk etc - because buying Irish sadly means paying a premium on even the most basic of everyday items. (that's assuming you can even get what you're looking for). So I went looking for deals from other eu countries, and you can definitely see that they are starting to respond to this increased demand. Like you say, might not be a bad thing in the long run for us. And we'll be less dependent on the uk market.

I do still think the UK will rise to the challenges and find a way to stay competitive. But it won't happen overnight. In the long run, whether they'll be better or worse off outside the eu is very hard to predict. It really could be 15-20 years time before you could really fully analyze such a massive decision.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We can save the OP as a template for when Ireland finally recognises that it has the exact same problem with HGV drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

heard .de prime is no where near as good as .co.uk prime, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's something to that Seth, but there is one major difference between Irish and British voters when it comes to something like this. The Irish electorate and government and civil service are used to referendums. We have them on the regular and with each one there is more debate and every household in the country gets a pretty independent missive from the government about what the referendum means and what a no or yes vote means with it. The British are quite different. They've only had two referendums in their history; one to vote on joining Europe, one to vote on remain/leave.

We're also a much more centrist, be grand electorate, whereas there is much more of a Left/Right thing going on in the UK. There's also a bigger gap between richer and poorer and along geographic lines. We are not an ex down at heels imperial power either. Nor do we have the hot potato of immigration/multiculturalism that Britain has. We also see Europe as a positive for the most part and we're exposed to it far more. "Partially funded by the EU" is something Irish people are used to seeing, British people aren't. Even though the EU funded quite a lot of British infrastructure and schemes. A while back I was watching a British car youtube channel where the guy was driving an electric car around a London ring road and he stopped at a charging station where the chargers had "funded by the EU" written on them and there was puzzlement going on. Well if he was driving the same route today he wouldn't be able to charge his car on the EU ticket and the way things are going if he were driving a petrol car...

I was over in England for a funeral the year before the brexit vote and chatting with locals I was surprised how very little they knew about the EU and how little they had considered the whole thing. This was both in leave and remain people too. The remain people were as much about don't rock the boat and leave things alone as they were about the EU itself. Something like how Northern Ireland would, or the Union itself might be affected was pretty much on nobody's radar. The immigration thing I couldn't fathom, especially for those who were voting on the more racist side. EU migration is overwhelmingly of the pale faced European variety, whereas non palefaces were for the most part coming from Britain's ex empire and leaving wouldn't change that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

---

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah you're right, in fairness Jacob Rees Mogg did say they'd start seeing benefits in about 50 years, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

For organic Irish business the UK market is the largest... the stat's that say that the uk is no longer our primary trade partner are skewed by the large multinationals. e.g. The US is our largest export partner with 31% of exports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8% and falling as supply chains diversify. It's getting close to a "they need us more than we need them"

The UK economy will suffer death by a thousand cuts. They won't starve but the economy will fall behind others.

BTW it wasn't a democratic election. They used every trick in the book to trigger an economic collapse so they could pick over the carcass.

It was a non-binding referendum for a parliament that isn't bound by decisions of previous ones. Had it been binding a lot of the things leave did and said would be illegal. Leave were also allowed to change the wording from yes/no. Cameron set it at 50% +1 , which may lead to the UK splitting as NI and Scotland leave. Cameron didn't use the Wisdom of Solomon to ask the people "what sort of Brexit do you want" and let the factions rip each other apart. May's red lines and triggering Article 50 meant the UK jumped without a parachute. Then Boris and the shenanigans where they used every loophole to by pass democracy ?

• Advertisement

More "whataboutery" from people who cannot accept the result of a democratic vote.

Look, I'm not pro or anti Brexit. In so far as, the British people are free to choose whatever they want. And they did choose - they went into polling stations and they decided to leave. It's done. And now they get on with living their lives outside the EU - which btw is not the big giant black hole of despair that anti-Brexit mouthpieces want everyone to believe. There are plenty of nations doing perfectly fine who are not members of the EU - even within Europe.

I actually happen to believe that it's perfectly possible to be a healthy and prosperous nation both inside or outside the EU. It really all depends on how the UK runs it's affairs post Brexit.

As regards how the referendum was carried out, I'm not a fan - it was a giant sh!tshow from start to finish. Both the remain and leave campaigns tried to cover each other in as much dirt as possible. And it just so happens that the leave campaign managed to crawl out of that river of excrement and emerge as the winners. Brexit showed all the darkest and dirtiest tricks in modern day politics, from both sides. And also a shocking absence of true leadership skills, from a country that actually is meant to be one of the world leaders. (you shouldn't be allowed to have a nuclear arsenal as a nation, if you cannot find even one person with leadership skills in your entire political system)

But I digress,

The reality is that most people are not politically engaged. And I don't blame them really, when you look at how ugly and divisive politics can be. (and the rest of the time mind numbingly boring) Why would the average punter want that BS in their head 24/7?

So yeah, the side that was always going to win was the one that could distill their argument into the most basic of messages for what was very often single issue voters or voters with a very narrow band of concerns. The remain campaign did a terrible job of this. I don't even think the leave campaign did a great job, they just did a slightly less awful job - and like I said, they were merely the last man standing in a giant pile of excrement at the end.

And unfortunately, I think the whole Brexit fiasco will make many average people even less likely to engage with politics in the future. People are sick of how politics are run, and sick of spineless politicians. And I hate all this high-horse stuff from Irish people, like we are somehow immune from having our own political debacle akin to Brexit - don't be so arrogant / overconfident. We are plagued by just as many useless plebs holding public office as the Brits. It's more pot luck than skill, that our "leaders" haven't put the ship on the rocks yet. But they are well capable.

Politicians don't run countries. Hard working people run a country. Which is why - in spite of useless leadership - the UK still has a chance of being a success post Brexit. Rubbish politicians just make things more complicated, but not impossible.

Advertisement