Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professions that attract sexual predators.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

However there are now a very large number of homeless organisations. And although most of the mainstream ones probably vet employees I don't think that it is a statutory requirement. For example there is a group in Cork called " Homeless Help and Support" Every Friday they park their SUVs on the footpaths in Cork City centre and the employees reach out and engage with homeless. No vetting needed to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That seems bit bizarre alright.

The incel thing would definitely raise an eyebrow, but I'd assume it's not a crime to be member of said group.

It did seems like a case of his word vs hers, but her conviction in his intentions said it all.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Although the child's interpretation of his intentions was very much influenced by the Karen of a mother who saw every male as a sexual predator.

It could very well have been a socially awkward loner having brief chat with a child in a park with no ulterior or sexual motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Any evidence that the mother saw every male as a sexual predator, and not just the ones who ask little girls to go for walks in the park with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

No a profession - Scouting is a volunteer based organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yet their website stipulates you must be vetted in order to volunteer.

So it does. Maybe I should not have tried to tie in my issues with the proliferation of homeless organisations, the motives of those that join them and belief that they are doing more harm that good with a discussion on sexual predators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The OP was framed around sexual predators. That it has veered solely towards child abuse says a lot about our history.

My observation would be that if you have an industry or profession that provides status and reward disproportionate to the role then it is going to attract dysfunctional individuals. Sexual predation is then going one of many dysfunctional behaviours which is displayed.

A list based purely on the above and my own biases:

Local hero sports stars

Tech entrepreneurs

Venture capitalists

Charity founders

Old school landlords

Well. His claim is that he did not ask the girl to go for a walk in the park. That he merely said that he was going for a walk and the girl misheard it.

However the jury chose to believe the girl that he did in fact ask her to go for a walk.

However bear in mind that this was the only accusation against him. That he asked the girl to go for a walk.

And he was jailed because anyone who asks a girl to go for a walk in a park is a paedophile with intention to sexually abuse her.

This is where we are at as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Professions that attract sexual predators." - Lead Campaigner for removal of certain Christmas songs from the radio.

• Advertisement

You frame that as if it's a perfectly reasonable action for a grown adult to invite a child they don't know to go somewhere with them. It's not.

A lot of it is also down to media reporting. Your example of sports stars: 99% of cases might not involve people who played sport at any high level, however you'll never see a report mentioning "the defendant, 34, was rubbish at football". The same goes for a lot of the careers you mentioned. Charity worker gets mentioned in the headlines because it attracts interest. If someone's a labourer, or accountant, or a plumber, it gets buried in the story, if mentioned at all.

A lot of the cases you see before the courts involving downloading child sexual abuse images seem to involve men working in IT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement