Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professions that attract sexual predators.

Options
  • 25-09-2021 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Sexual predators are cunning and amoral and it is interesting to note that the jobs that interest them have changed. An important element is of course access but they also feel the need to be santimunous and virtue signal

The top professions used to be

Priest,

GAA/Swimming coach

Teacher

Currently top sexual predator jobs

Third world charity aid worker

Homeless aid worker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not exactly a Thread I was expecting to come across this morning but here goes.

I'm not going to name any profession that attracts sexual predators because in essence its not the profession that attracts such behaviour or individuals outlined in Thread Title, essentially they can and are found in every profession, that's just a sad reality.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So jobs that involve a suitable pool of troubled and marginalised people whose claims can easily be challenged and discredited. What’s so surprising about this?

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would one get banned for suggesting "Mod" as a joke? 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op, maybe you need to do a little more reading! sexual offenders actual have underlying psychological issues, many themselves have been sexually abused at some stage in their lives, and require immediate and urgent psychological supports, in order to try prevent their actions, and repeat offending. unfortunately since our health system, and particularly the psychological element of our system is what you could only call fcuked, these disturbing events still persist in our society today, so, go us! op, do some fcuking reading, or better yet, talk to mental health professionals who have had to deal with such individuals!

• Advertisement

Politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

British Royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sheep farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Sales organizations can be very sexualized environments at times. It's often denied, but it goes on quite a bit. Macho attitude of some sales guys, promoted to managers, leading a team, females achieve their sales targets or getting an easier achievable quota by "being more sexually willing".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Pimp…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Scout leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Butcher, baker, candlestick maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Forgot that. Deninitely one of the main ones in years past

Other than the more recent event with Anthony Flynn , give us an example of a homeless service employee being a sexual predator?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Radio/TV Presenter.

Taxi Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

showbusiness, the film industry, the cast couching is not a myth.I don,t think the radio business is a big source of sexual predators.if you look at activision a large gaming company ,It makes call of duty, ,its in the news now for a government lawsuit about sexual harassment of female workers . there were alot of scandals in america about swimming coach,s or athletic coachs engaging in sexual harassment. I have never read anything about the gaa re sexual predators being employed there .maybe its common in any large industry where most of the managers are male, but theres a small minority of lower level female workers .there have been cases of sexual harassment in the fashion industry, as young vunerable female models depend on male agents or managers to get work especially at the start of their career .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

It's a long time since I've read a more ridiculous OP. One guy from a homeless charity is caught abusing and you taint it as a ruse for sexualising the vulnerable. Christ.

I bet you're one of these folk you see in Facebook comment sections egging on the dumb asses making vidoes trying to hunt paedos.

How many priests and scout leaders were charged or convicted in the 70s and 80s? If you look at other countries like the US there are multiple charges against executives and staff at homeless services businesses. e.g. a few months ago Victor Rivera CEO of one other most successful homeless businesses in New York charged with multiple counts of sexual assault..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 johnny five

Discord admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Looking for a career change OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Hedge fund manager (Epstein)

Hollywood movie producer (quite a few of them)

I think he has a point that sexual predators are much less likely to go into teaching these days as vetting has improved enormously and kids and parents are far more likely to realise what is unacceptable behaviour from a teacher and to report it. Frankly, it could be argued it has gone too far the other way as males who would be very suited to the career are almost afraid to go into teaching. This results in a situation, maybe not in all schools but certainly in some, where young males often lack good male role models.

Same could be said for GAA coaching and other child centered professions. It probably is the case that it has gone too far the other way. There is nearly an assumption that any interaction will a child has sexual intentions so most adults these days including myself are very extremely aware that even talking to a child is dangerous and potentially open to misinterpretation. A man in cork was recently sentenced to three years in jail because he was talking to a girl in a park and asked her to go for a walk with him. That was the full extent of the evidence. From which sexual intent although never expressed was assumed and he was publicly shamed and sent to jail.

So predators have to look elsewhere. Although I admit there is not much evidence in this country a position is the growing homeless industry would seem ideal. Third world charity aid worker has to be the ideal profession for sexual predators and paedophiles these days though. A position of power and influence working for a powerful organisation that will protect you with access to the vulnerable and powerless

In relation to the Cork case, that sounds very strange, do you have a link? What offense was he convicted of that would warrant such a sentence? I have to say it was very unwise of him to ask a presumably unrelated underage person to go for a walk with him and could easily be seen as attempted grooming, but I can't see how that alone would merit a 3 year jail sentence or any jail sentence.

Story below. He talked to a girl in a park and the child alleges that he asked her to go for a walk (he says he was misinterpreted) That was the full extent of the evidence.

She ran to her mother who began a public shaming campaign against him before he was arrested, tried and jailed.

How many people reading this story could remember a time they innocently had a conversation with a child for a few minutes and thought to themselves never again will I be so foolish to do something that is so dangerous.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40311713.html

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Tbf you're the one making the implications that people go into careers so they have access to children.

True. I'm kinda contradicting my own premise which was implying that people that go into certain professions have ulterior motives when for the vast majority in these professions that is not the case.

• Advertisement

They're incredible allegations you're making.The sole incident in Ireland with abuse of homeless individuals is very well documented. Mainstream homeless services vet their employees before employment commences and most employers vet the individual on more than one occasion through the course of their employment. I'm vetted every two/three years Students placements are vetted as well as being vetted as you between employment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement