Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalled on 5x5, what next?

Options
  • 22-09-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi, Ive been doing 5x5 for a few months while cutting. I lost a lot of fat but would like to lose more. I have stalled on my 5x5 lifts completely. I'd like to do 5x5 or a similar program again whilst not trying to cut but unsure what I should do to continue to lose fat at the moment. Should I ditch a program for a few months and concentrate on HIIT and higher rep workouts until I get into the right shape to bulk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

5x5 on a weight cut is always going to be a grind. If you want to cut, then you have to accept that you probably won't find the linear progression of the program possible because you aren't following the caloric intake recommendations for the program.

Focus on the long term and doing a program that you enjoy and gets you strong. Bulking/cutting are short term fads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When you say you were on a cut, I guess I would ask were you in a calorie deficit, and if so, how much? Has your weight loss stalled or is it still going?

Running a linear progress in a deficit is not brilliant but as a novice you can get more from it than someone training a while. 5x5 is also an LP which, in my opinion, causes people to stall far earlier than something like Starting Strength or Greyskull. You can drive progress for longer without so many sets across.

What numbers did you finish up on, is part of how I would answer… If you finished up with decent numbers it’s ok if you stalled. If it was a shishow then I would be tempted to adjust your calories and, after a deload, reset at 10-15% down and go again with a different LP such as Greyskull.

Also worth considering, when you stall, is to :

1. Repeat the workout, if it was close. Could be sleep related or an off day
    2. Consider a 10% reset and ramp back up
    3. You can increase calories - but that’s out for you
    4. If it’s genuine then before stopping you could either go to a top set of 5 or go to 3x3 and carry on for a while longer
    5. Personally I would want to find my 1RMs at the end of the program, I would deload after you “last” week then test the following one.

If your final numbers were OK you could still reset and do Greyskull, it’s a good all around program as well as an LP, OR you could go to an early intermediate program like 5/3/1 or HLM (Heavy Light Medium).

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Sorry perhaps I didn't word my post correctly. I'm looking for program/workout suggestions to drop another few% bodyfat before returning to a strength based program such as 5x5 which I enjoy but I cant maintain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Yes I was in a calorie deficit, not sure what else I would mean by saying I was on a cut. It was approx 150- 200. I shed a lot of fat and regained a lot of muscle which I lost during lockdown.

I was a novice in terms of my lifts being poor due to not lifting during lockdown but have been doing 5x5 on and off for about 8 years now. I like doing 5 x 5 after a period of inactivity to build up strength again before moving on to something different. my issue this time is that I have about 6 or 7 weeks of shedding more fat to go and Im unsure what way to go about it considering I cant progress on my lifts.

My final numbers were as good as I could get them to, not as good as a couple of years ago but I'm also much lighter. I got to 1.5 x my bodyweight with the squat. I'll have a look at the programs you suggested, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

If you're dead set on staying in a deficit then changing programmes probably isn't going to do anything for progress. At a certain point of calorie reduction, you just don't have the available energy to gain strength and muscle. Emphasis should instead be on retaining what you have, particularly muscle imo as that takes longer to regain.

I would simply keep the weights at whatever you can handle right now, and try to take in adequate protein to minimise muscle loss. Once you stop the cut and start eating enough again, you should see some progress. If not, then it's time to move to a more intermediate style programme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was querying whether you are sure you were in a calorie deficit. If you tracked and know you were, good for you. People sometimes say they are cutting and in many cases they are tracking nothing and it’s pure guess work.

If you want to understand intermediate programming then an underrated resource is Andy Baker’s book Practical Programming with Mark Rippetoe. It’ll provide you with a lot of options beyond LPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Something like this program might be a good option to try for a while to mix things up - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057311400/want-a-simple-program-to-get-stronger/p1

Advertisement